Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

Also posted in the Purslow thread. Incredibly worrying.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-purslow-gerrard-manager-25261776

What Christian Purslow said when asked about Steven Gerrard Aston Villa future

The Villa CEO was present at this week’s Fans’ Consultation Group meeting to discuss Villa’s two new crest designs ahead of the chosen one - either a round 82-style or ‘gas lamp’ medieval shield shape - featuring on next season’s new kit.

Purslow, meanwhile, was asked about Villa’s current form and, according to Villa blogger MOMS, stressed his side had been “unlucky” in recent games and, with a bit more fortune in the final third, it could have easily been six points instead of two against Leeds and Forest.

Elsewhere, it’s understood that Gerrard has the full backing from Purslow and the club’s owners, Nassef Sawiris and Wes Edens, while it was also cited that replacing the manager - W8 D8 L13 so far in 2022 - hasn't even been spoken about despite concerns amongst some sections of supporters. Villa sit in 16th but, having taken nine points from nine this season, Gerrard’s position remains a strong one with the club hoping Villa can pick up in the next few weeks.

The head coach now enters a three-game week against Chelsea, Fulham and Brentford and it’s understood Purslow and Villa’s hierarchy hope Villa will be in and amongst the top-half of the Premier League by the time the six-week World Cup break comes around next month which, in turn, will then give Gerrard the chance to reset and to really kick-start Villa’s season heading into 2023.

Staying with Purslow and, at this week’s meeting, he outlined how the loss of Diego Carlos and Boubacar Kamara had been pivotal to Villa’s poor start to the season. It’s hoped that Kamara will be back for the Liverpool game on Boxing Day while Diego Carlos could make his return as soon as January to give Villa a much-needed boost ahead of a strong finish to the current campaign.

“The loss of Diego Carlos was cited as pivotal,” MOMS outlined. “Purslow was undoubtedly impressed with what he’s seen by Carlos on and off the pitch, adding how he’d have been Villa captain if he spoke frequent English.”

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, jim said:

image.png.271e39a731c189c969b616cda9723fd7.png

I respect you Jim. You're standing by your belief and you have a very optimistic view on things.  I would like to share your optimism, but alas I do not. As one of the later members to fully give up on Gerrard,  I can understand some of where your coming from. 

But after seeing the same old mistakes being made after the Man City game, and nothing note worthy in any of our performances since, I have no faith he'd ever turn it around and stick with a working team for any length of time.  He'd drop the players and formation that worked for the very next game.

What have you seen in the last 5 games that still gives you belief he knows what he's doing? Would a loss in our next two games see you join the dark side?

37 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

If you honestly think Purslow is going to a fan engagement event and publicly confirming plans to sack Gerrard I have a bridge to sell you. 

I agree, neither Purslow or the Owners are dumb to the current fan feelings, to the results, the performances and their own views of games.  No way are they watching the games and thinking we are unlucky or on the cusp of turning it around.  The fact they haven’t acted concerns me but there is no way they are happy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The_Steve said:

If you honestly think Purslow is going to a fan engagement event and publicly confirming plans to sack Gerrard I have a bridge to sell you. 

Just out of interest, from where to where?

Simply put.His remit is a top half finish.After 9 games we are 16th,so,obviously after the next 5/6 games Ferrard expects us to be about 4th.

Not bad considering we have played teams below us and have 9 points from 9 games.Now we only have teams above us and we are going to start climbing up the ladder ?!

Just now, duke313 said:

Hey, that's a point a game.  With any luck 38 points will be enough to keep us up this season,

One part of your quote is 100% correct.We need luck,because under SG we dont have anything else.

22 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Again, take a step back and ask yourself sensibly.... WTF do you think he's going to say in a public forum to media?

" It's shite and we are actively trying to find a replacement... VillaTalk members can be assured "?

We’d open ourselves to employment law issues, look massively unprofessional and alienate potential names. It’s just a damn shame that clickbait merchants are jumping all over this to spin the outrage machine until it purrs more loudly. 

• Like 3

Just now, The_Steve said:

We’d open ourselves to employment law issues, look massively unprofessional and alienate potential names. It’s just a damn shame that clickbait merchants are jumping all over this to spin the outrage machine until it purrs more loudly. 

I bet some wish we still had Wyness. He would have happily told us his feelings on Gerrard.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â