Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

7 minutes ago, Sam3773 said:

I think this Sunday will make feelings pretty clear and obvious. Usually social media turns before the crowd so you never quite know what to expect, but I would imagine a very clear feeling will be at VP, amplified by the hammering I’m sure Chelsea will provide. No one can survive that. 

Well the away fans have turned. The only thing stopping an angrier fan base on Sunday is the kick off time

I think if he loses Saturday it's the end for him. I take no joy from any manager being sacked, but at the same time it's hard to take any joy from what I'm seeing on the pitch. 

Hopefully, the likes of Ings, Watkins and few more won't be too far behind. 

Time to start trusting in some of these promising youngsters. 

19 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Well the away fans have turned. The only thing stopping an angrier fan base on Sunday is the kick off time

From the clips I saw online the Gerrard out chants weren’t that widespread, they were noticeable but not overwhelming

But the point is the seal has now been broken, unless there’s a very sharp unexpected uptick in performances and results the fan base from here will only head one way now that first threshold has been breached 

A bad game on Sunday could realistically be the breaking point for widespread dissent to break out, although I said that about the City game and it turned out to be our best performance, so we’ll see what happens in practice. Once the crowd turns en masse there is no hope for survival for any manager, certainly not after the rip off price hike the fans have been subject to this season as it will just turn too toxic if it’s allowed to fester 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, nick76 said:

Yes because you are choosing him over the club by your argument

Angry mob, you mean Villa fans on here, other platforms, in pubs, work and at the ground….further confirmed by the away fans at Forest.  It’s not a mob, it’s the fan base.  A mob isn’t a mob because you don’t agree.  The Villa fan base are providing their view and it’s seems most are in agreement that it’s time for him to go.

As they say they want continual progression, Gerrard isn’t providing that, doesn’t look like he can and we seem to be drifting further away from it.  Time for him to go!

Offering an opinion of giving the Villa manager some further time does not equate to choosing him over the club. Far from it. The board would have sacked SG if we had lost to City, let alone Southampton. Or if the players are against him then he would have already been sacked. IMO But maybe Purslow is really pulling one over us. People on here want Villa to be battered by the opposition, so judging from their arguments - those posters are choosing their personal feelings towards Gerrard over the club's well being. Yet you type no distain for that sort of thinking, many try to rationalise or defend it.

I mean the mob on VT. There has been plenty of examples on this thread, for e.g - if you have to bring a Daily Mail article regarding Gerrard's personal life (or that pertaining to his daughter) then it goes beyond your dislike of his management imo. It goes well beyond criticism. It is purely personal and not objective. This mentality is also directed at posters who don't share the same opinions that condemn SG, or at those who give any encouragement in Gerrard's direction (i.e praise for the City performance). 

Then there are others that believe that sacking him will make us better, I respect those reasons and share some of them in some cases, but I am unconvinced sacking him is going to bring immediate progress. I don't mind people challenging my views, it is all fair. 

And as for your last point, there has been no progression from last season. No arguments from me. We have stood still with an enhanced squad. Furthermore, I wouldn't mind if the club were proactive and chose to replace him for the reasons you mention. But they are not looking to fire him quickly though are they. I would guess the team and board are behind him, he still retains their support and trust. We are also unbeaten at the moment which is the perfect platform to build from, under Gerrard or a new manager.

Edited by Villa_Vids
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Villa_Vids said:

Offering an opinion of giving the Villa manager some further time does not equate to choosing him over the club. Far from it. The board would have sacked SG if we had lost to City, let alone Southampton. Or if the players are against him then he would have already been sacked. IMO But maybe Purslow is really pulling one over us. People on here want Villa to be battered by the opposition, so judging from their arguments - those posters are choosing their personal feelings towards Gerrard over the club's well being. Yet you type no distain for that sort of thinking, many try to rationalise or defend it.

I mean the mob on VT. There has been plenty of examples on this thread, for e.g - if you have to bring a Daily Mail article regarding Gerrard's personal life (or that pertaining to his daughter) then it goes beyond your dislike of his management imo. It goes well beyond criticism. It is purely personal and not objective. This mentality is also directed at posters who don't share the same opinions that condemn SG, or at those who give any encouragement in Gerrard's direction (i.e praise for the City performance). 

Then there are others that believe that sacking him will make us better, I respect those reasons and share some of them in some cases, but I am unconvinced sacking him is going to bring immediate progress. I don't mind people challenging my views, it is all fair. 

And as for your last point, there has been no progression from last season. No arguments from me. We have stood still with an enhanced squad. Furthermore, I wouldn't mind if the club were proactive and chose to replace him for the reasons you mention. But they are not looking to fire him quickly though are they. I would guess the team and board are behind him, he still retains their support and trust. We are also unbeaten at the moment which is the perfect platform to build from, under Gerrard or a new manager.

Well said, my friend. 

16 minutes ago, Villa_Vids said:

99% fans have no personal hate towards Gerrard, I don’t get that angle at all. The majority of what you said answers my reason for not wanting Gerrard. The stats, the eye test, the results, everything points towards this going so badly. There’s actually so much evidence of it it’s laughable, every single week I could post 10 stats in here but people still choose to believe time is the answer. Even if we had a hint of progress or good football he would be afforded some credibility. 0.67XG against Forrest. Do you honestly believe the team are still behind him? Even if they are that says more about the mentality of our players than it does Gerrard. We look absolutely terrible and have done for a while. I’m also not looking for immediate success, I’m looking for a premier league level manager and that’s not a huge ask imo. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Villa_Vids said:

In summery because there is a mob on VT, Gerrard should keep his job?

I think you have to simplify this situation with Gerrard. Whether for or against him staying only one question needs to really be asked. Can this team do better under someone else? Personally, I think it's a resounding yes. And the logic behind that decision is, we're crap yet have the ability in the squad to be so much better. 

This isn't a situation whereby all of a sudden it will click, and teams will finally allow us freely to attack them down the flanks. Teams have worked out how to defend against us, quite easily as it happens because we are so predictable. The flaws are in the system, the reliance on FB's being the creative outlet from wide and a young manager out of his depth because he doesn't have the ability to get on a training pitch and coach his team when it's obvious, they really need it.

I'd actually have more time and patience for Gerrard if he was the head coach and not just the manager. At this point as he doesn't take responsibility for the coaching, I fail to see what he brings to the club because we need a coach first and foremost, not a f***ing cheerleader.  

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Villa_Vids said:

I’ve disagreed with a lot you’ve said recently but this is a good post! I don’t agree with all of it but fair dues.

Edited by nick76
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, Villa_Vids said:

I would guess the team and board are behind him, he still retains their support and trust

While the board are or seem to be by the action we can see (although behind the scenes something maybe going on), I’m not totally convinced the players are but we’ll never know.

46 minutes ago, Villa_Vids said:

We are also unbeaten at the moment which is the perfect platform to build from, under Gerrard or a new manager.

How? There is more to a perfect platform than being unbeaten.  You can tell the players are really struggling, they are off form and lacking confidence.  The unbeaten run only includes one good performance arguably.  We played a poor Southampton team, a 10 man Leeds team for half a game and a poor Forest team.  We have been pretty poor from various viewpoints in the last three games and our points haul from those three games while ok at 5 points, the performances we sub par and in hindsight we should be picking up more points.  The quality of performances and lack quality in opposition has been masked by the view of points and been unbeaten. Only the City game was a good performance and great point.  The unbeaten run masks the massive underlying problems so I wouldn’t say it’s a perfect platform for a new manager.

Edited by nick76
  • Thanks 1

After years of McLeish, Lambert, Sherwood, Bruce, Smith & Gerrard type managers is it unreasonable to expect that our mega rich owners should appoint a decent manager for a change? Is it unreasonable to expect that we can get a Guardiola, Klopp, Ancelotti, Conte type manager or should we just accept our fate as Villa fans and be grateful for the shit our owners serve up no matter who runs the club? I am fortunate enough to remember the days when our owners employed someone that could get us promoted, win us the League Cup, the First Division Title & the European Cup. I hope that my son gets to see something close to that as all he has experienced is mediocrity in our good times and relegation in our bad times. NSWE breezed into VP with a shit load of money and a grand 5 year plan. This is the 5th year of their 5 year plan and we are miles from where they stated that they wanted to be. I am beginning to lose faith in them and I am feeling like I was duped. Sorry if this comes across as rather negative but over 50 years of supporting AVFC means I generally can see the wood for the trees.

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, Villa_Vids said:

This is my main concern with this whole debate. People on Villatalk have become so obsessed with sacking Gerrard that they many have become blinded to a range of other problems that have bedevilled the club and held back progress for a very long time now.

The simplistic solution, replace Gerrard and performance improves, just may not be true. This looks like the repetition of a cycle that has been going on for at least 10 years, maybe 20.

During that time, has the club built the sort of squad that can flourish in the premier league? Do we have the right scouting and coaching set ups?

Without the right infrastructure in place, the possibility of a new manager floundering is greater.

That’s not to argue that Gerrard should stay. We cannot go on for much longer playing the desperately poor football we are seeing at present and it doesn’t look like he can turn things around in the short term.

Just don’t believe that a new manager will come equipped with a magic wand. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

This is my main concern with this whole debate. People on Villatalk have become so obsessed with sacking Gerrard that they many have become blinded to a range of other problems that have bedevilled the club and held back progress for a very long time now.

The simplistic solution, replace Gerrard and performance improves, just may not be true. This looks like the repetition of a cycle that has been going on for at least 10 years, maybe 20.

During that time, has the club built the sort of squad that can flourish in the premier league? Do we have the right scouting and coaching set ups?

Without the right infrastructure in place, the possibility of a new manager floundering is greater.

That’s not to argue that Gerrard should stay. We cannot go on for much longer playing the desperately poor football we are seeing at present and it doesn’t look like he can turn things around in the short term.

Just don’t believe that a new manager will come equipped with a magic wand. 

Its almost like the season that ended 15 months never happened but unsurprising for some not to accept it happened

6 minutes ago, nick76 said:

While the board are or seem to be by the action we can see (although behind the scenes something maybe going on), I’m not totally convinced the players are but we’ll never know.

How? There is more to a perfect platform than being unbeaten.  You can tell the players are really struggling, they are off form and lacking confidence.  The unbeaten run only includes one good performance arguably.  We played a poor Southampton team, a 10 man Leeds team for half a game and a poor Forest team.  We have been pretty poor from various viewpoints in the last three games and our points haul from those three games while ok at 5 points, the performances we sub par and in hindsight we should be picking up more points.  The quality of performances and lack quality in opposition has been masked by the view of points and been unbeaten. Only the City game was a good performance and great point.  The unbeaten run masks the massive underlying problems.

We’ve had arguably the easiest run of fixtures so far this season, and look where we are. Bournemouth have won more, and lost less games than us. It’s so evident we’ve made the wrong appointment and the mentality some have that another manager can’t do better is frightening. What’s the alternative? Go down with Gerrard, I would rather we had a go at correcting the mistake than continued in this mess. It’s beyond confusing how some are accepting it despite everything we’re seeing  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Â