Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

35 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

The system he's trying to play is too complicated for the players

Then you don't attempt it.

It will never work of course when we go back to it, because it's a fundamentally flawed system that will not work in the PL. This was clear after about two games but Gerrard doesn't understand what's staring him in the face.

So here we are, with the 7th or 8th highest wages in the league, everyone sat behind the ball hoping to score from a set piece.

It's the sort of football a temporary manager might deploy to just not get embarrassed for his few games in charge.

Yet he's our actual full time manager, probably the 5th or 6th best paid manager in the league. A waste of two seasons. Aims reduced to not being relegated.

I agree we had the chances to beat 10 man Leeds. Leeds who stopped participating in the game after about 60 mins.

• Like 2

On 30/09/2022 at 18:38, sharkyvilla said:

I can't believe even now people think what he was like as a player, intrinsically or not, has any bearing on what he would be like as a manager.  It's just so, so ridiculous.

You make the wrong assumption.

has it ever crossed your mind, that some of us are aware of his mental approach, that he illustrated as a player, but that same approach will feature in most things he ill do in life, inc football manager, that doesn't mean he has a monoply on ALL skills required to be a manager.

you seem to do a fair bit of assuming.....and you know what that does😃

3 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Then you don't attempt it.

It will never work of course when we go back to it, because it's a fundamentally flawed system that will not work in the PL. This was clear after about two games but Gerrard doesn't understand what's staring him in the face.

So here we are, with the 7th or 8th highest wages in the league, everyone sat behind the ball hoping to score from a set piece.

It's the sort of football a temporary manager might deploy to just not get embarrassed for his few games in charge.

Yet he's our actual full time manager, probably the 5th or 6th best paid manager in the league. A waste of two seasons. Aims reduced to not being relegated.

I agree we had the chances to beat 10 man Leeds. Leeds who stopped participating in the game after about 60 mins.

I agree, the system won't work in this league with the players we would have available at the club. A narrow front 3 with width provided by full backs / wing backs. You only see this with teams who play 3 at the back (like Spurs) or Liverpool who play like we do with just 2 CBs. 

I don't think he'll give up trying. I think he'll likely muddle his way to end of the season and then a parting of the ways

5 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

I agree, the system won't work in this league with the players we would have available at the club. A narrow front 3 with width provided by full backs / wing backs. You only see this with teams who play 3 at the back (like Spurs) or Liverpool who play like we do with just 2 CBs. 

I don't think he'll give up trying. I think he'll likely muddle his way to end of the season and then a parting of the ways

God I hope not.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Changing manager requires new commitments to player signings, you need to pay off the staff also. 

We're 3 points off 7th. The season is everyone beating eachother and the table is compressed right now as long as points are picked up keeping us closer to top 10 than bottom three it makes sense to give more time. This is especially the case as the players are playing for him, they've put in a lot of effort in last 3 games. 

So from a Purslow perspective you reassess once the World Cup comes, see if there has been enough points picked up and performances picking up to believe that the team might kick on in new year. Potter at Brighton took time, Arteta took time. 

I'm sure Gerrard will have to have shown progression, so if we are not at least seeing the improved football and results in the final 10 games of the season to believe next season will be further progress then I'm sure there will be a change made. 

So far Gerrard hasn't been good enough, nobody himself included would say otherwise. There is time for it all to improve though

If Watkins had of scored, and we all know he should have......and if Phils effort had of gone in........the mood on here would have been different.

as it is, it was a shit show of poor finishing......all managers, rely on players to do their job, they get paid handsomely for it.

amongst many things, we have no intrinsic aggression up front, no determination to finish the job....thats on the players for me.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Another 8 or 9 months of this guy…

giphy.gif

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

If Watkins had of scored, and we all know he should have......and if Phils effort had of gone in........the mood on here would have been different.

as it is, it was a shit show of poor finishing......all managers, rely on players to do their job, they get paid handsomely for it.

amongst many things, we have no intrinsic aggression up front, no determination to finish the job....thats on the players for me.

So why didn’t he make subs earlier, that’s on him when he could see Ollie not doing it yesterday!  That’s on Gerrard!

I appreciated this stat from a different thread as i didn't realise Gerrard's stats were quite so bad for the last half-season.

Played 19 games (half a season), Points 17, Goals Scored 18.

41% of those points were against now Championship teams.

Taking out those Championship teams who are no longer in the Premier League, his results are Played 16, Points 10, Goals Scored 12

That's 0.6 points per game, or 24 points for a full season (unless he can beat the replacement teams like Bournemouth lol).

Edited by ender4
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, TRO said:

If players aren't doing their job, it's up to the manager to make changes. Watkins played the full match despite missing all those chances.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, duke313 said:

If players aren't doing their job, it's up to the manager to make changes. Watkins played the full match despite missing all those chances.

And if you give workmen shitty tools to do their job, it becomes much harder for them and that also has an impact on mentality and motivation.

What is the point in Gerrard if we’re tactically poor AND the players “don’t do their job”. It’s his job to get them to do their **** job.

Edited by a m ole
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Really want Gerrard to **** off now. 

Get out the club and stop poisoning it with your snide press conference remarks. 

Before we even go into your pragmatic shit excuse for football. 

The majority of fans on here and social media seem to want him gone, but until the atmosphere at Villa park turns hostile, he' not going anywahere.

7 minutes ago, TRO said:

The finishing is on the players for sure. If you get an xG of 2 and score zero then that's down to players not finishing or great saves from keeper.

Watkins never once tried to lift any of his shots over the keeper he always hits them along the ground and opponents know that so he's easy to defend. He never hits first time always takes a touch to give opponents time to react. Konsa has to score his chance and Phil was unlucky (Watkins should have scored the rebound). 

1 minute ago, a m ole said:

And if you give workmen shitty tools to do their job, it becomes much harder for them and that also has an impact on mentality and motivation.

But the workman has other tools in his box, he's just choosing not to use them, which in turn is making his job more difficult.

But the workman has other tools in his box, he's just choosing not to use them, which in turn is making his job more difficult.

The workman in my analogy is the players being given jelly screwdrivers and chocolate hammers by the boss

All of our players have proven themselves more than capable on multiple occasions in their careers.

Edited by a m ole
  • Haha 1

The majority of fans on here and social media seem to want him gone, but until the atmosphere at Villa park turns hostile, he' not going anywahere.

That's because the majority of fans are willing to give him and the team more time. They started the season poorly with 3 points from 5 games. Now it's 5 points in 3 and only 1 goal conceded. Question is are there more steps forward in the next 3 games or just steps back? 

• Like 1

At what point is the role of a head coach simply tactical? They’re rightly highlighted a lot because Gerrard seems utterly clueless over and above parking the bus and hoping to bore the opposition into submission.

But is Gerrard’s job simply to bore us to death? Or is there perhaps an element of coaching and developing players technically as well? 

I only ask because, whilst Watkins has been poor, hasn’t this been identified in the last 11 months he’s been ‘coached’ and ‘developed’? Or perhaps in the two transfer windows Stevie’s had? OK, benefit of the doubt, it was simply a one off bad game for Watkins. Wasn’t this identified in the 60th minute yesterday?

I’m not afraid to say there’s an element of player responsibility, of course there is, but let’s not hide behind the players as an excuse to let Steve off the hook.

For almost a year he has been responsible for training these players. He’s been responsible for developing these players. He’s responsible for identifying if these players need replacements. He’s been responsible for selecting these players. He’s been responsible for deciding how much game time is afforded to these players. He’s been responsible for an arm over the shoulder or a stern chat, to berate or motivate.

Watkins may not be up to the task, but there’s been a few opportunities to identify this prior to missing sitters late on yesterday.

• Like 2

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â