Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

35 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Would you not say the first eleven and squad is not better than under Smith.

Yes. But I also think we would have improved the squad under Smith too. Whether we would have been able to attract players like Kamara is unknown. Though, I'm not saying we should have stuck with Smith. Removing him was the right thing to do imo. 

I think we have made progress with attracting better players; the balance is finding a system that works for us.

This bit is a huge problem and is generally what i'm referring to when saying no progress has been made since Gerrard's arrival. 

We shouldn't be trying to figure out a system for the players we're bringing in. They should be signed to play in a specific system that works. Which has been a complete failure so far.

Edited by PieFacE

1 hour ago, Villa_Vids said:

Gerrard has had a close look at himself and taken criticism on board. I believe he is desperate to do well here - his reaction at the end of Southampton shows that. And it is clear that he has tried to run before he could walk. We have improved over the last two games, we have a foundation moving forward now. Sacking him now will make no sense, we are heading in the right direction imo.

Surely you can’t have watched the Southampton game and think this? 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Honestly? 

I think we have made progress with attracting better players; the balance is finding a system that works for us.

Jesse marsch has achieved this in 17 less games than Gerrard, with a much worse starting point. Gerrard hasn’t done anywhere near enough 

This is all part of the process. We had to suffer for years, miss out on promotion and nearly go bankrupt for us to get NSWE. Now after 3 years of progress we have to suffer Gerrard to finally get another manager and coach that will take us forward again. 

It will all work out ok in the end. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1

Does anybody really thinks Gerrard 'cares' about Villa?

He has always had an ego and consistently will throe others under the bus rather than take blame himself.

I've no doubt he wants to do well here, but his only motivations for that are to protect his elite reputation and to eventually get the liverpool job

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Does anybody really thinks Gerrard 'cares' about Villa?

He has always had an ego and consistently will throe others under the bus rather than take blame himself.

I've no doubt he wants to do well here, but his only motivations for that are to protect his elite reputation and to eventually get the liverpool job

Does any manager other than Villa supporters and ex players? 

57 minutes ago, brummybloke said:

Having better players doesn't mean you are a better manager. It means you SHOULD get better results.

Southgate gets to pick from some amazing players, he is still a shocking manager.

Gerrard, had the high profile to attract players however I fear they have now seen through his plush thick hair, snappy designer clothes and grating whiny scouse accent and realise Gerrard the player is the polar opposite talent wise of Gerrard the manager.

Honestly hoping we are finalising poch as our manager and he will be in after the Leeds game 🤞

Before the Leeds game please. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Villa_Vids said:

Gerrard has had a close look at himself and taken criticism on board. I believe he is desperate to do well here - his reaction at the end of Southampton shows that. And it is clear that he has tried to run before he could walk. We have improved over the last two games, we have a foundation moving forward now. Sacking him now will make no sense, we are heading in the right direction imo.

What The Hell No GIF by Ryn Dean

12 minutes ago, Villa_Vids said:

Yes. 

I love how people in this thread authoritavely post their own speculation / opinions as fact 🤦🏿‍♂️😂

We get it, he's not doing well, and the signs of improvement aren't great thus far. It's all a bit meh/shite right now.

However people are pulling and reaching for any bit of nonsense they can for a dig.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Villa_Vids said:

This is one of his interviews isn’t it! 🙄

What am I reading in this thread? 🤣 The players were so scared to play City so they were motivated not to lose 🤣  Surely it can't be that easy? Nothing to do with Gerrard changing his set up and motivating the players, yet we came from behind against City and we were robbed of an opportunity to win the game too. I think we have been "okay" since Arsenal, not brilliant or dreadful. The shape, intensity and aggression has all been good. Gerrard cares about this job just as much as Smith did. It would be foolish to think that the majority of managers do not have egos.

Gerrard hasn't lost the dressing room and the players are clearly behind him hence the recently improved performances and results. Not to say he hasn't made mistakes, and I agree the football is a bit iffy at the moment - but it is hardly the end of the world is it? The mentality needs sorting before the style of football imo. I like to believe Gerrard has realised this and is trying to create a foundation to play better football.

If Gerrard is sacked, the same problems will persist imo. There are no quick fixes, only expensive wall paper. I will happily take another 31 1-0s 😀.

Get behind him and stop whinging 🤣

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Villa_Vids said:

Get behind him and stop whinging 🤣

Everyone wants Gerrard to do well. If he does well, Villa does well. But the fact is so far it's been all been below average at best. At what point are we allowed to discuss that? When you decide so? 

• Like 1

I'm really worried about this season if Gerrard remains.

He's proven he can't improve or get the best out of what he already has and we basically have the same squad as last season that limped to 14th.

Other teams have improved massively since then and the teams that have come up such as Fulham e.t.c look competent i don't think we are too good to go down by any means under this manager.

Waiting till the 1 - 0 wins run dry and they will at some point while all the great candidates go to other clubs will will be a massive mistake by the club.

Edited by AshVilla

59 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Everyone wants Gerrard to do well. If he does well, Villa does well. But the fact is so far it's been all been below average at best. At what point are we allowed to discuss that? When you decide so? 

“At what point are we allowed to discuss that?”

Its all that gets discussed on this thread, and is the main reason why it’s the most boring one on the main board.

And as for the “Everyone wants Gerrard to do well” - it’s simply not true.

43 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Of course not. I just feel the reactions to the last two games have been way over the top and not warranted. Gerrard is under pressure, which he has acknowledged and accepts. The last two games we have stood up to that pressure and delivered, 4 points is a healthy return. We fought back against a very good City team too, a performance which people are now brushing under the carpet. 

4 hours ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Honestly? 

What good is that if we're not doing better on the pitch? Those better players are going to want to move on to better things sooner than later as well.

4 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

This is all part of the process. We had to suffer for years, miss out on promotion and nearly go bankrupt for us to get NSWE. Now after 3 years of progress we have to suffer Gerrard to finally get another manager and coach that will take us forward again. 

It will all work out ok in the end. 

If we never went bankrupt, we wouldn't have had NSWE!!!

So yeah.

52 minutes ago, Villa_Vids said:

Of course not. I just feel the reactions to the last two games have been way over the top and not warranted. Gerrard is under pressure, which he has acknowledged and accepts. The last two games we have stood up to that pressure and delivered, 4 points is a healthy return. We fought back against a very good City team too, a performance which people are now brushing under the carpet. 

But why is Gerrard under pressure? The answer is simple he doesn’t have the skill or know how to manage a team in the Premier League.

With the exception of the point return there were nothing good about the last two games.

Against ManC we parked the bus and got away with a point, but it could just as easily ended up like the Arsenal game, were we also parked the bus, but didn’t had luck on our side.

Somehow Gerrard was praised in the media by his friends as a tactical genius. On a different day where ManC don’t wast all those chances we could have lost 4-1.

Against Southampton we played really badly, but again luck was on our side, since Southampton were even worse.

When I say played badly I do not mean, we played pragmatic or not pretty football. I mean we couldn’t string together any series of passes, the midfield couldn’t keep the ball, so defence started hoofing the ball forward. As somebody said on Sky after the match: “Thank God Sky only show it live once”. It was so bad that the club should refund the fans that watched the game.

• Like 2

Â