Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

8 minutes ago, messi11 said:

Gerrard admitting to sky sports in his interview that you wont be seeing Pretty Football at Villa Park this season 

What happened to the front foot possession based football.

After a series of bad results he's now basically lining up the team to play dour stuff and not concede just so he can scrap enough points from week to week to keep his job.

Not good enough for a team with aspirations of europe is it?

Edited by AshVilla

12 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

What happened to the front foot possession based football.

After a series of bad results he's now basically lining up the team to play dour stuff and not concede just so he can scrap enough points from week to week to keep his job.

Not good enough for a team with aspirations of europe is it?

No! We assembled a what £300 million side maybe even more yet we play football like we're fighting for relegation 

2 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

Like City?

We've lost all three away games convincingly with similar performance to tonight.

Of course 3 points is always welcome but we won't be finishing higher than 14th if that's going to be the general standard. And based on last six months it pretty much is under this manager.

Did we even have a serious shot second half?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, imavillan said:

Other problem is when we do get a few decent one touch moves going (usually involving Coutinho, Digne and Ramsey down the left) the ball gets fed through to Ollie and he just isn't quick enough to decide what to do and the move break downs.

We're just a limited team for what we want to be. I'd still like to give someone else a shot at managing this group though as it still should be better than 14th.

4 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

We've lost all three away games convincingly with similar performance to tonight.

Of course 3 points is always welcome but we won't be finishing higher than 14th if that's going to be the general standard. And based on last six months it pretty much is under this manager.

Did we even have a serious shot second half?

I’m not saying that it was good. It wasn’t. It was very poor but there’s loads of hyperbolic rubbish floating around and we should try and at least retain some perspective. 
I’m not convinced by Gerrard at all. He makes some incredibly odd decisions. We totally lack any identity. Our players constantly lack conviction and confidence. Is that not what we used to say when Dean was in charge though? I suspect that a lot of our problems stem from a player pool with incredibly weak mentality.

I would happily back Mings, Bouba and Emi 1 to have the mental strength to withstand lots of things but I wouldn’t back any of the others when the chips are down. 

14 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Other problem is when we do get a few decent one touch moves going (usually involving Coutinho, Digne and Ramsey down the left) the ball gets fed through to Ollie and he just isn't quick enough to decide what to do and the move break downs.

We have Archer who is made for the squad around him. He has the ability to take a touch and get a shot on target. It's annoying he's not even on the bench now. 

Ollie is decent at holding up a high ball in but then struggles to actually pass the ball/build up the play. He gets tackled the majority of our attacks. So frustrating. 

Gerrard trying to win ugly just means he's failed at organising, setting up and drilling a really talented bunch of players into a team that can fulfil their potential and play to their strengths. 

It's painful viewing. The 3 points are welcome but a manager knowing what he's really doing would have sent Southampton home with a good hiding. 

• Like 3

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â