Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

4 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

This illustrates the stupidity of deciding a manager’s future on a game by game basis. Look at what he’s done during his time at the club. Has he had enough time to make an impression? Is it good enough or clearly going in the right direction? If not, change. You don’t need a certain shocking result to do it, in fact you don’t need an excuse at all.

Everything points towards changing things atm

1 minute ago, MaVilla said:

Now Potter is possibly going to Chelsea, at least we can all now calm down and get behind our manager, and give Gerrard the next 10 months or so to show us he is the man for the job, a tactical genius, a sublime man manager and allow him to show that he totes knows what the heck he is doing.

I want whatever you're sniffing!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Anyone hoping for a Villa defeat to see the demise of Gerrard is something I cannot agree with.

Whilst he is Manager I will hope we win, and what perfect games coming up for us to get six points. It surely must be very realistic; seven points from three games puts us back on track.

Like others have said our squad and first eleven is the best since O'Neill and we need to start winning.

I feel similarly, I think? When it comes to participating as a semi-expatriated Villa fan, there aren't many things worse than losing, I have to say. But there are some, and they're important. One of those things is trying to savor the whole spirit of the game, not just the quick-hit feel-good parts I like, and that means accepting the rough and tumble of not knowing how the season turns out before the season turns out. Maybe I'm just not ruthless enough, but hoping for Villa to lose even one game feels like killing kittens or drinking arsenic. Can't.    

I support some teams in other sports who have much better records than Villa, and they're nowhere near as satisfying as supporting Villa.      

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Anyone hoping for a Villa defeat to see the demise of Gerrard is something I cannot agree with.

Whilst he is Manager I will hope we win, and what perfect games coming up for us to get six points. It surely must be very realistic; seven points from three games puts us back on track.

Like others have said our squad and first eleven is the best since O'Neill and we need to start winning.

Imagine this scenario to a slightly silly extreme example. Villa are on an 18 match losing streak and are mathematically relegated, but nick a draw against Liverpool. Rumours are Villa are looking to give him one final game against Fulham to see if he can get 3 points and get Villa back on the right track.

Still want us to win that game? Now you understand the thought process.

Edited by a m ole
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

For me I don’t think he should bre our manager by now, but with the Chelsea situation I think it’s a bit risky. We need Poch or Potter (as the only local manager I’d take). All other choices are risky and aren’t up to the scale we want. So the last thing we need now is to sack Gerrard just to get another similar manager. I’d keep him but change him whenever the proper one is ready to come. That wouldn’t mean we need to lose to do so, unless we’re having a top 7 form, or we’ve seen a massive difference in the pitch, I’d change him. If we keep waiting every time for losing streaks we’d keep writing off the whole season because if these justifications.

For me, it depends on the alternative. If Gerrard is lucky enough for us not to find the right alternative then just keep him unless he continues his bad form. If we found his right alternative then just sack him even if he won at Leicester or even Saints. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, a m ole said:

Imagine this scenario to a slightly silly extreme example. Villa are on an 18 match losing streak and are mathematically relegated, but nick a draw against Liverpool. Rumours are Villa are looking to give him one final game against Fulham to see if he can get 3 points and get Villa back on the right track.

Still want us to win that game? Now you understand the thought process.

Mathematically relegated, surely it doesn't matter if we win, lose or draw the game? I'm almost too embarrassed to ask, am I missing the point completely?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bielesibub said:

Mathematically relegated, surely it doesn't matter if we win, lose or draw the game? I'm almost too embarrassed to ask, am I missing the point completely?

the point is that there is surely some point at which anyone would say they’d rather lose and have a failing manager be sacked than plod along at an unacceptable rate of results. Yes that rate might be a little different for people under different circumstances, but I’m just trying to illustrate why some people might actually not mind Villa losing if the medium and long term result is a net positive.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, a m ole said:

the point is that there is surely some point at which anyone would say they’d rather lose and have a failing manager be sacked than plod along at an unacceptable rate of results. Yes that rate might be a little different for people under different circumstances, but I’m just trying to illustrate why some people might actually not mind Villa losing if the medium and long term result is a net positive.

Nope still don't get it. Villa have been sacking managers since what seems like forever and yet here we are saying that this should happen again because this next time it will work?

12 minutes ago, bielesibub said:

Nope still don't get it. Villa have been sacking managers since what seems like forever and yet here we are saying that this should happen again because this next time it will work?

You’re in support of keeping Gerrard? Because we’ve sacked managers before?

Edited by a m ole
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, bielesibub said:

But surely this indicates poor appointments over being trigger happy? Nobody needs me to list the hopeless managers we've sacked over 'what seems like forever'.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, bielesibub said:

Name a Villa manager in the last 20 years who's gone on to better things, even equivalent things?

Perhaps if we'd just kept Sherwood we'd be top of the league by now, insane logic!

• Like 2

Just now, ender4 said:

Can’t believe Gerrard is still here.  

Tuchel sacked for being 6th and 1 point ahead of Liverpool. 

Parker sacked after 1 win in first 4 matches, including beating Villa. 

Gerrard 3 wins in 16 games and still here.

I believe its 17 now... 

He should be gone. I think the club don't expect him to turn it around, its going to happen, but we should put him out of his misery. 

54 minutes ago, bielesibub said:

The alternative is sticking with a manager that isn’t working out.  I’d rather try something that might work than sticking with something that isn’t working and has never looked like working.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, bielesibub said:

That’s a logical way of thinking if you believe all managers are more or less equal. If that’s the case, waiting makes sense and success will come in the end.

But if there are good and bad managers, it makes more sense to try and make sure you get a good one.

1 hour ago, ender4 said:

Can’t believe Gerrard is still here.  

Tuchel sacked for being 6th and 1 point ahead of Liverpool. 

Parker sacked after 1 win in first 4 matches, including beating Villa. 

Gerrard 3 wins in 16 games and still here.

Purslow knows it's his neck as well if Gerrard fails.

He'll get more rope than anyone in our recent history. Already taken more in one year than Smith got in three.

It's a messy situation.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â