Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

4 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

He needs to get a win from the next two games. We want to see performances too

I'd add he also needs to show that he knows where he's been going wrong in previous games as that is the only way we will go forward. Reverting to his badly thought out 433, with all its many faults, will show he is not the man to take us forward even if we get a lucky win similar to the Everton one.

30 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I don’t think he will turn it around but the talk of him losing the players isn’t true after yesterdays performance. The players gave everything. 

Bailey spoke positively about him after the game which was nice given how gobby his dad has been.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

He needs to get a win from the next two games. We want to see performances too

Yep. The City result will mean naught if he reverts back to what doesn't work. He'll need at least 3-4 points from the next two games. Let's see if he's up for the challenge.

27 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Yup. I've wanted him out for weeks, but if he turns it around I'll gladly eat the humble piez I'm just unconvinced he's capable of it.

Credit where it's due for yesterday though, I think most of us were expecting an absolute hammering.

One swallow doesn't make a summer, but he's clearly getting another couple of games, so let's see what happens when we need to try and compete for the ball for 90 minutes.

Hopefully we've turned a corner and we'll see an improvement in results vs Leicester and Southampton and will be interesting to see how we approach those games given there will be an expectation for us to have more attacking intent.

b4c176f4e03db937e0e92178d32277e2.gif

• Like 1

I really enjoyed yesterday. The performance was really good and the atmosphere at the ground was brilliant. 

Im not petty enough with my opinions to not give the manager any credit for that, the changes he made worked so fair play to him. 

My opinion on the manager has been formed over about 9 months though so yesterday isn’t going to change my stance that he isn’t the right manager moving forward. 

Edited by av1

Next couple of games are crucial for him. We need to remain unbeaten and obtain four or six points really. The type of performances we put in will also be important.

I’ve still got doubts that yesterday was a turning point for him but I’ll happily be proved wrong. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

Next couple of games are crucial for him. We need to remain unbeaten and obtain four or six points really. The type of performances we put in will also be important.

I’ve still got doubts that yesterday was a turning point for him but I’ll happily be proved wrong. 

This is where I am at. I was convinced Gerrard was a goner, but the players showed some fight yesterday so maybe he hadn’t lost them yet. Like you say though, the next two games will be telling. We need to put some points on the board quickly and 4 points should be the minimum requirement.

If he reverts back to making the same mistakes in the next few games, I will want him gone again.

However, if yesterday is indeed the turning point for him (someone posted about a Damascus something or other which I thought was put really well), and he's had some big realisations regarding how to set the team (mainly midfield) up, I will back him completely.

2 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

If he reverts back to making the same mistakes in the next few games, I will want him gone again.

However, if yesterday is indeed the turning point for him (someone posted about a Damascus something or other which I thought was put really well), and he's had some big realisations regarding how to set the team (mainly midfield) up, I will back him completely.

Yes, for me a lot comes down to whether Gerrard recognises that he has made mistakes, or just sees that game as a one off and reverts to his narrow formations with 10s getting in the way.

If he can acknowledge that the team we put out against City should probably start the next game (with only Cash and McGinn’s positions up for grabs) then he might see this team going on a run of results and climbing the table.

It all comes down to how critical and honest he is capable of being with himself.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

I very much don't he will get that performance out the team away from home, but I'm willing to be proved wrong. A win at Leicester and Southampton still wouldn't convince me, they are hardly chasing Europa league places.

Yeah Leicester have looked so poor this season and again today.  Surely, even how bad we are we must win next week.  Southampton will be a better test.

50 minutes ago, NeilS said:

Yeah I said to my Dad afterwards that City never carved us open like we were expecting. They had a couple of decent chances, but Martinez easily saved the ones they had. For us Ramsey should have done better on his 1v1 and Bailey had a decent chance that he put wide before he scored, and Coutinho was inches away from tucking in a late cross, and that is before you ignore the perfectly legit effort that was ruled out by the same lino who was hesitant with his flag in the first half for Kyle Walker’s effort.

I would say we were good value for our point, even pretty unlucky not to come away with a victory.

Nice post. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I'm not too excited by the idea that we in the foreseeable furture will revert to parking the bus and trying to nick a point or three. That is not the progress I had expected when Dean Smith was sacked.

I assume we will get some points aboard with that approach, but then what? What says that Gerrard then has the ability to take us forward? Nothing. He has had enough time to show us at least a glimps of progress.

Comparing to Arsenal, with the investment we have made and looking at player for player, we shouldn't be so far behind them as showed in the game against them. Compared to Newcastle, we should be able to be on par with them. They also managed to get a point against Man C, but in contrast to us, they played really positive football, proper smart tactics, played on the front foot and actually deserved the point, if not all three.

Reverting to Steve Bruce/Alex McLeish-style of play will bring some stability and we will probably be safe in the lower half of the table, but the other teams that we should compete with like Wolves, West Ham and Brighton and others will increase the gap to us. No way do I agree with sacking Smith to revert to this.

I'm willing to let Gerrard grind out some results in the coming two games, but then I want a proper manager in. Preferably Potter.

Edited by Keener window-cleaner
  • Like 1

Â