Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

I only watched the first half of Arsenal, I wont bother watching Man City at all. Whats the point? I have no desire to watch Man City enjoying their football and beating us at a canter, which they will because our manager is a failure.  Gerrard is done and I have growing concerns about Purslow's competence. 

Gerrard shouldn't be here any more and everyone can see it. Purslow is now doing permanent damage to his reputation with fans. I hope the board is paying attention to their investment because Purslow isnt.

• Like 4

On 28/08/2022 at 18:34, av1 said:

The thing that worry’s me most about Gerrard is that what he says doesn’t translate into what he does. 

This is the Gerrard thread so I don’t want to digress into talking about players/transfers/tactics etc but as examples of what I mean. 

He talks about wanting to be a possession based football team but then installs a captain who is most at fault for the fact we are not, at the expense of someone like Luiz, who for his faults is very good in possession. 

He talks about building from the back but seems to prefer Konsa over Chambers who is much more comfortable with the ball at his feet. 

He talks about a lack of creativity but plays Watkins and Ings up top, and has players like Bailey and Buendia on the bench. 

He talks about leaders in the team and then strips the only leader we have of the captaincy (and judging from the performances so far this season I genuinely do believe that decision has upset the squad)

He talks a brilliant game but seems to have no idea of how to deliver it. 

Sorry to quote myself, but on the back on this we sign Dendoncker and Bednarek. Nether of which are suited to possession based football. 

What he says is the polar opposite of what he does. Based on the fact he needed to sign 38 players in 3 seasons before he got it right at Rangers, I guess we only need another 30 odd signings before he starts turning things around. 

Edited by av1

24 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

It would be madness to wait and see what happens in those 4 games, because in the 4 games against Bournemouth, Everton, Palace and West Ham we picked up just 3 points. We can come out of that run after 10 games with an identical record to Sherwood's last 10 games at Villa, by which point we're screwed. Nah, he has to go after City.

I’m sure you have noted that we have less points (3) now on this calendar date versus the season we went down (4). Sobering.

Edited by Marka Ragnos
  • Sad 2

I think we're in the last 48 hours of the Gerrard dynasty, barring a shock win tomorrow. 

Some might say Arsenal and Man City are free hits, but I disagree. We'll expect to make those games competitive, especially Arsenal. Remember our league position doesn't reflect the club's ambition. We'll want to be up there, making it hard work for Man City. Rolling over and having our tummy tickled won't be shrugged off because it was a 'free hit'. L

Besides, points against Leicester and Southampton would mean what? Other than a complete tactical masterclass out of nowhere, I don't think 2 freak wins will be enough to fool our owners into thinking all our problems are over, especially with an international break on the doorstep. 

So sadly, I predict a loss tomorrow with a five or more goal margin, Stevie to get his marching orders in the hours/days after and Critchley/Tony Carss to take the Leicester and Southampton games while a new gaffer is recruited. 

Edited by Sam3773
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, Lichfield Dean said:

"There are always people who point fingers in this situation but that won't stop me backing myself and believing what I believe in. I won't make drastic changes to what I believe in. This team has shown it is capable. We believe we can get through it and make it turn."

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11677/12688193/steven-gerrard-exclusive-interview-aston-villa-boss-on-erling-haaland-losing-diego-carlos-and-how-he-can-turn-it-all-around?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Mings hung out to dry again:

”The two goals we conceded - and a lot of goals we have conceded - have been down to individuals." He does not name names in this instance but perhaps he does not have to.

"Showing someone the wrong way rather than on their weaker side." It is easy to conclude that this is a reference to the team's erstwhile captain Tyrone Mings allowing Bukayo Saka to cut inside on his favoured left foot and cross the ball for Gabriel Martinelli's winner.”

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

Mings hung out to dry again:

”The two goals we conceded - and a lot of goals we have conceded - have been down to individuals." He does not name names in this instance but perhaps he does not have to.

"Showing someone the wrong way rather than on their weaker side." It is easy to conclude that this is a reference to the team's erstwhile captain Tyrone Mings allowing Bukayo Saka to cut inside on his favoured left foot and cross the ball for Gabriel Martinelli's winner.”

Completely overlooking the fact that we were completely outclassed in that game, and Arsenal should have been out of sight by half time. If you’re constantly under the cosh and played off the park, you’ll eventually concede - the law of averages says there will be a mistake when the opposition is in your penalty area for the 50th time in a game.

Until he takes personal responsibility for this shit show, nothing will change. In fact, it won’t even change then. The charlatan is out of his depth. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

This angers me. Mings stopped Arsenal from spanking us even worse and stood up as a leader when McGinn had gone missing. 

The man is a Grade A prick. Who if he was a fraction as good as he thought he was wouldn't be in his last big role in management and would have Premier League and World Cup medals

Edited by Dale
  • Like 3

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â