Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

Any likelihood at all that his contract severance pay is based on performance? Could the board be on the edge of a drop in payoff based on his results/league position?

We sack him and I'm sure the cost hits our FFP budget. They could just be waiting to minimise the impact there, whilst knowing that even getting someone new in now isn't going to help us against City?

I feel its a flawed argument as surely if they wanted him gone then the sooner the better, so it gives the new ideas longer to set in.

Just a thought really.

Regarding the photo, it's very clear that that is not a comfortable setting. Lange's missing his ever present toothy grin, and there are distinct gaps between the players and the manager. Gerrard's smile is as false as his supposed managerial abilities. There's no coming back from here, I just don't know why we're waiting.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

I think we would lose at the weekend whoever was the manager. He needs to keep the defeat reasonably respectable and to get something from the two games after that, otherwise he's in a Dean Smith situation, without the backing that he had, as being one of our own. I doubt the club would really want to make a decision before the World Cup break in November, but he needs to start picking up points to hope to get that far. We have 11 games before the November break, they include Citeh, Chelsea, Newcastle and Newton Heath, which would be tough games at any time. SG needs a minimum of 10 points from those games to stand a chance of still having a car park space at Villa Park, even that low figure seems a target we are unlikely to get close to at the moment.... :( 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MrBlack said:

Any likelihood at all that his contract severance pay is based on performance? Could the board be on the edge of a drop in payoff based on his results/league position?

We sack him and I'm sure the cost hits our FFP budget. They could just be waiting to minimise the impact there, whilst knowing that even getting someone new in now isn't going to help us against City?

I feel its a flawed argument as surely if they wanted him gone then the sooner the better, so it gives the new ideas longer to set in.

Just a thought really.

Regarding the photo, it's very clear that that is not a comfortable setting. Lange's missing his ever present toothy grin, and there are distinct gaps between the players and the manager. Gerrard's smile is as false as his supposed managerial abilities. There's no coming back from here, I just don't know why we're waiting.

Lange hasn’t smiled since the Grealish Saga broke him

3 hours ago, DCJonah said:

He's clearly not being sacked regardless of the result against city. 

So are we just hoping we can get points to survive now? 

I'm laughing at the thought of that Southampton game before the international break.

Villa Park on a Friday night is giving Gerrard both barrels.

1 minute ago, Tomaszk said:

I'm laughing at the thought of that Southampton game before the international break.

A very real possibility that we enter October with 3 points, bottom of the league and this man still in charge.

Terrifying 

• Sad 2

4 minutes ago, jim said:

If Gerrard and Bednarek were any closer they'd be making love. The photo tells us nothing you are just looking for things that aren't there.

There are no doubt things will be going on behind the scenes as results haven't been good enough but over analysing a picture is ridiculous.

Ridiculous? Right. I know you're a fan of Gerrard, but inferring things from body language isn't a completely alien concept.

I might be wrong, but I don't get the vibe that that is a happy joyous first meeting between new signings, manager and Football Director. You do? Fine. You don't think you can infer anything? Fine. Ridiculous...

3 minutes ago, a m ole said:

A very real possibility that we enter October with 3 points, bottom of the league and this man still in charge.

Terrifying 

Absolutely. I think that's very likely to be honest.

And the three points we have we scraped. Easily could have conceded in that last 5 mins against Everton.

It is difficult to get less out of this squad.

It's Bruce esq in some ways, and very un-Bruce in others. There are strict tactics in place, but they are so so bad.

13 minutes ago, John said:

I think we would lose at the weekend whoever was the manager. He needs to keep the defeat reasonably respectable and to get something from the two games after that, otherwise he's in a Dean Smith situation, without the backing that he had, as being one of our own. I doubt the club would really want to make a decision before the World Cup break in November, but he needs to start picking up points to hope to get that far. We have 11 games before the November break, they include Citeh, Chelsea, Newcastle and Newton Heath, which would be tough games at any time. SG needs a minimum of 10 points from those games to stand a chance of still having a car park space at Villa Park, even that low figure seems a target we are unlikely to get close to at the moment.... :( 

We have a international break at the end of this month… that would be the best time to bring in Poch and get the team firing again 👏🏽

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

I'll be there courtesy of an invite from a bi company that has a box down the Villa. I'll be giving him dogs abuse if we lose and he is still here. 

6 minutes ago, Villarocker said:

I'll be there courtesy of an invite from a bi company that has a box down the Villa. I'll be giving him dogs abuse if we lose and he is still here. 

So you’re saying the game could go either way? 😂

I’ll get my coat!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Wait for his media pals to rally around him once he finally gets the push, they will say he wasn't given the funds, not given time, fans are fickle blah blah... 

Edited by calcifer
Eating and writing :-)

1 hour ago, MrBlack said:

Ridiculous? Right. I know you're a fan of Gerrard, but inferring things from body language isn't a completely alien concept.

I might be wrong, but I don't get the vibe that that is a happy joyous first meeting between new signings, manager and Football Director. You do? Fine. You don't think you can infer anything? Fine. Ridiculous...

You think that was the first meeting?

Â