Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

13 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I don't have anger towards him. I feel a bit sorry for him. 

I'm annoyed that we chucked Smith away for this. That all that goodwill and positivity since that 10 game winning run in the championship has gone. Purslow needs to be held responsible for that. Its quite some feat to spending so much money and destroy that goodwill. 

I have no idea where his career goes from here. Surely no premier league team takes a chance on him. 

I was excited by the appointment and it seemed surreal that the Stephen Gerrard was associated with Aston Villa. 

But it hasn't worked. It's not looked like working for so long. I don't see anything that he offers us anymore and can't see any point in continuing with the project a day more. 

Its just very disappointing 

I'm not. I'm annoyed that we made a shrewd, necessary decision and then **** up the next one so badly.

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

2 minutes ago, romavillan said:

It went on for long after that, the wheels came off when Terry, O'Kelly and Gucci Joe all left. Dean identified the areas to sign players that he needed but by pure bad luck he never got to play his best side for more than a half here or there. 

Gerrard has had a better squad to work with, time too now. The fact that we are a tactical mess (the average position charts are like a Picasso on acid version of City or Liverpool's) and the players quite clearly have no idea what to do half the time is squarely his responsibility.

Fully agree with this.

What a disaster.

46 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

Watching the post match interview, it's the most deflated I've seen Gerrard. I think he knows that he isn't far from being sacked. 

The sooner it’s done the better, why prolong the pain?

I don't like changing managers too often, but he needs to go as soon as possible. I was angry when Smith got sacked, it was such a good feeling at the club with him and he didn't deserve to be sacked imo after that turbulent summer, injuries and new players.

I would have been ok with Gerrard if he was the real deal, raising the profile of the club and the next young top manager. Didn't like the whole sell Liverpool connections with him and all of his staff and Purslow, but willing to give him a chance.

But as it has turned out, he is more of a charlatan than Sherwood. He talks a good game when not under preassure and given nice questions, but early on there were signs that weren't good. One was that he seemed to reliant on his staff, not being the brain of the tactics etc himself and not speaking so much with the players (great man management eh). In the first games when we were losing and in the last munites instead of being on the touch line encouraging the team, he just sat/hal layed in the chair with arms crossed and with a grumpy face. He also didn't see so active during the games, more his staff giving the orders. When losing, he blames the players, saying we need more quality (it's your job to get the best out of the players we have, anyone can just say I need better players to win). We have seen very few occations where he has adapted the tactics or giving the players a barking in half time to see them go out firing on all cynlinders.

Our tactics are clearly not working, no players have improved, we don't have a plan b, the players doesn't seem to play with any energy or enthusiasm, we are so easy to read, we keep making the same mistakes, and now he seems so afraid to lose that he doesn't make the needed changes.

Even when it went south for Dean Smith we still got some great results against Chelsea and Man U for example. With Gerrard we get nothing. A charlatan who is a face to the public but no substance what so ever.

It's ok to make a mistake, we did that with apponting Gerrard, it is now obvious it was a mistake and that it wont be better. Time to go. It's also quite interesting to see on here how pretty much everyone agree on this, don't think I've seen a topic on here where there has been more concensus.

Edited by Keener window-cleaner
  • Like 2

45 minutes ago, Spoony said:

I don’t think it’s hyperbole to say he’s the worst manager we’ve ever had tbh. McLeish might spring to mind but he was professional, somewhat respected and kept a shit team in the league. Sherwood was a joke but he did lead us to a cup final and was at least attempting to make it. Gerrard offers absolutely nothing in terms of coaching, management; just anything at all. He’s a truly awful awful manager. He might as well not be there half the time. 

I think he is too… he is useless and clueless… I don’t see what he brings, what attributes he possibly has… a spiky egotistical fool…

• Like 1

There are a lot of factors to consider when talking about worst manager/best manager etc. Win percentage is only part of it. But yeah I'd say Gerrard is the worst we've had, certainly in the Premier League era anyway.

1 hour ago, AV82 said:

Steven Gerrard hasn't lost the dressing room. He never had it. He can't coach and he has the personality of a bumhole. What are his strengths exactly?

He can look a player in the eye…

I feel his whole term as villa manager has been poor. Nothing has improved, style of play, the squad or individual players. All but 1 (maybe 2) of his signings has been meh. The marquee signing in Coutinho has been a dud… and now we are stuck with him until contract is done. Gerrard’s so dedicated to his ideal narrow way of playing we shifted all our wide attackers out. So regardless of what happens to him, we are stuck with his shoddy system until we get players in.

I see no improvement is going to happen to anything he’s in control of, so it’s time for some serious action before he introduces another long term problem, such as relegation 

Edited by CarryOnVilla

Potter is proving what Brentford proves before him.

It’s not the players, it’s the system, the tactics and man management.  You can literally sell your ‘best’ players, and immediately have someone step into their shoes and look no worse.

You can give Gerrard the pick if a world 11, and he’d still be utterly clueless about what to do.

1 hour ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

It's inevitable, Gerrard has majorly screwed up this season...

Surely he is going now, I can't see anything other than two defeats in the next two matches, he would HAVE to go then!

No better time than the present.

12 minutes ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

I don't like changing managers too often, but he needs to go as soon as possible. I was angry when Smith got sacked, it was such a good feeling at the club with him and he didn't deserve to be sacked imo after that turbulent summer, injuries and new players.

I would have been ok with Gerrard if he was the real deal, raising the profile of the club and the next young top manager. Didn't like the whole sell Liverpool connections with him and all of his staff and Purslow, but willing to give him a chance.

But as it has turned out, he is more of a charlatan than Sherwood. He talks a good game when not under preassure and given nice questions, but early on there were signs that weren't good. One was that he seemed to reliant on his staff, not being the brain of the tactics etc himself and not speaking so much with the players (great man management eh). In the first games when we were losing and in the last munites instead of being on the touch line encouraging the team, he just sat/hal layed in the chair with arms crossed and with a grumpy face. He also didn't see so active during the games, more his staff giving the orders. When losing, he blames the players, saying we need more quality (it's your job to get the best out of the players we have, anyone can just say I need better players to win). We have seen very few occations where he has adapted the tactics or giving the players a barking in half time to see them go out firing on all cynlinders.

Our tactics are clearly not working, no players have improved, we don't have a plan b, the players doesn't seem to play with any energy or enthusiasm, we are so easy to read, we keep making the same mistakes, and now he seems so afraid to lose that he doesn't make the needed changes.

Even when it went south for Dean Smith we still got some great results against Chelsea and Man U for example. With Gerrard we get nothing. A charlatan who is a face to the public but no substance what so ever.

It's ok to make a mistake, we did that with apponting Gerrard, it is now obvious it was a mistake and that it wont be better. Time to go. It's also quite interesting to see on here how pretty much everyone agree on this, don't think I've seen a topic on here where there has been more concensus.

Spot on, every word.

What’s worse is that he hasn’t even acknowledged, how toward or clapped the fans at any stage this season. Just runs down the tunnel and his shitty captain has been guilty of the same.

Whatever was good about us under Dean has been destroyed and dismantled, it has disappeared.

And this guy is the one who is responsible for that.

We sacrificed everything for this clown.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

Yeah I’m in the same boat. As frustrated as I am it is a bit sad when things like this go bad. I assume he came in with the best intentions of growing this club but it does feel like the time to make a change.

Maybe he can go to a Championship team and work his way back up.

Same boat myself as mentioned previously too... 

Gerrard doesn't have it "yet" as a manager at this level. Needs to work on a lot of things. Rangers in Scotland is just so much different. In hindsight - he should've stayed a few more years at Rangers and moved them along in Europe to gain that experience. Now - I honestly don't know where he goes, Championship for sure is most likely. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, trillvillan said:

Same boat myself as mentioned previously too... 

Gerrard doesn't have it "yet" as a manager at this level. Needs to work on a lot of things. Rangers in Scotland is just so much different. In hindsight - he should've stayed a few more years at Rangers and moved them along in Europe to gain that experience. Now - I honestly don't know where he goes, Championship for sure is most likely. 

Not sure he’ll stay in management tbh. I could see him just doing punditry. Not that he’s been sacked yet…

37 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I don't have anger towards him. I feel a bit sorry for him. 

I'm annoyed that we chucked Smith away for this. That all that goodwill and positivity since that 10 game winning run in the championship has gone. Purslow needs to be held responsible for that. Its quite some feat to spending so much money and destroy that goodwill. 

I have no idea where his career goes from here. Surely no premier league team takes a chance on him. 

I was excited by the appointment and it seemed surreal that the Stephen Gerrard was associated with Aston Villa. 

But it hasn't worked. It's not looked like working for so long. I don't see anything that he offers us anymore and can't see any point in continuing with the project a day more. 

Its just very disappointing 

I have no sympathy for him. The issues he has bought upon himself. He inherited  a decent squad, was backed by the board. Yet he consistently plays shit football, continues with the same tactics that dont work, makes poor and collosal **** up like mingsgate and despite telling us no one is guranteed a start he plays his favs like mcginn and coutinho who have generally  been poor to abysmal.

Its all on gerrard no one else

Edited by Demitri_C
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, WallisFrizz said:

Not sure he’ll stay in management tbh. I could see him just doing punditry. Not that he’s been sacked yet…

Apologies - he's still our manager and I support the team, disrespecetful on my end as you're right, he isn't sacked yet. 

I like him personally - but not as our manager... I'll support him and the team as long as he's here and hopefully he magically turns it around, but its just awful atm. 

Â