Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

9 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

I wonder, if we were to sign a top CM, like a Newcastle Bruno, and drop McGinn, would be all of a sudden be a real force?

It’s an irrelevant question because it’s not going to happen. He’s been appointed captain FFS.

It won’t change until SG is sacked or, by some miracle, McGinn starts performing at his best. He won’t be dropped but we could bring in a powerful, dominant player to aid Kamara and maybe that would bring other players’ games on.

I don’t think that’s going to happen, can’t see it.

It’s really hard to be positive or hopeful about anything right now…

SG doesn’t change his ways… he far too stubborn and appears far too clueless…

His “strategy” just seems to be “throw enough shit at it, some of it will stick” 🤦‍♂️

3 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

But this is the problem TRO, who is responsible for that?

I’m not saying that you are definitely doing this but the impression is that you are deflecting blame away from the manager.

These non descript “tactics”, lack of any form of effective playing style, players performing way below their standard - this is all the fault of the manager.

Why should we give him even more time when after 9 months he has failed to address the issues and deficiencies we have? Everything is getting worse, we are in decline, it’s his fault!

His record, lack of wins and positive performances is truly abysmal! What’s the point in bringing up 2 or 3 decent performances/results when, on the whole, it’s been terrible?!

Even though I agree with you that we really need a dominant player in midfield, I don’t believe that just signing players is the solution, not under this guy.

You can have the best players at your disposal but if the set up and tactics are wrong or off (such as vacating and bypassing the midfield, leaving your full backs so high and forcing other players to cover) then you’re not going to succeed. He doesn’t learn from his mistakes… he’s visibly not trying to change anything! His ego and stubbornness is getting in the way…

If you fail to motivate, inspire and organise your players and do not give them the right instructions… you’re going to fail. The opposition are going to kill you… embarrass you…. how much more of this can we tolerate? There is no light…no signs of hope or improvement…

You need tangible evidence or signs to give you any hope/optimism/positivity but when it’s the same old shit or even worse(!) every time…. then it’s completely justified to lose that and have no faith in this manager or team while the guy in charge is proving to be so inept.

Who is responsible? The manager! Always/ultimately the manager… Especially in our situation.

I have no doubt at all that a competent one would get a hell of a lot more out of this squad and make the right additions to improve the team.

I know we’re not going to agree, but I can’t see it any other way. It’s been long enough…. I’m tired man 🤣

I am not challenging the point,he is responsible.

He has actually come out and admitted most of the points, I have made and quite frankly inexperienced manager or not, he will know what we see.

He has to find a way out of this, or go.

ps going out now, speak later.

12 minutes ago, TRO said:

Last season Jas....Newcastle couldn't buy a win, Eddie Howe, didn't win a game in 2 months, until the Jan window, where his purchases, was not marquee, but they was pragmatic and made a real difference to their defensive work, this gave the team confidence and they finished above us, after being relegation candidates.....In short "They became hard to beat".....as opposed to " easy to play against".......The 2 centre back changes and trippier made a huge difference to that.

It can be turned around, but we need to find the right players to help us......that doesn't mean Marquee signings, but it does mean, players who can help us with our glaring faults...and not just squad fillers.

This can be turned around, but not with some of these players.

But isn’t that the managers fault for not signing or pursuing the right players then?

All I see here is that one team made a good/correct appointment, the other team didn’t 😔 

Howe had done a great job, SG has done a terrible one. It’s as simple as that for me.

I’m sorry, but we are going to continue to disagree. I’ve seen these players perform better before SG came in, and players we’ve signed perform well at other clubs beforehand.

I don’t blame the players, I firmly blame the manager.

I can’t see a positive, I don’t see what SG has brought to the club/team, what if any improvements he has made. All I see is decline and a mess and I’m fed up of it. We are worse because of him.

I’m getting tired of repeating myself so maybe I’ll give everyone a bit of a break 😆

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, TRO said:

We are all looking for answers and when results and performances go against us like this, The Manager inevitably cops the lot.....He has already said, "its on me"....so he is accepting the rsponsibilty.

He says that all the time, he just seems to say it as something he’s meant to say it but doesn’t believe it. We can’t know if he believes or not but just looks like he says as a football cliche because he then just goes on to blame the players and never seems to say anything he needs to sort.  He’s great at media but I’ve stopped watching them because it feels like watching a savvy politician that he knows what to say to every question.  While that’s ok, I don’t see anything the following week that shows that it was anything but words.

27 minutes ago, TRO said:

Managers can only do so much, they can "take the horse to water, but they can't make it drink" thats the best way, I can describe it.

That’s the problem it doesn’t look like he’s taking them to the water.  These players have the talent but he’s not getting it out of them, that suggests he’s not taking them to the water, he doesn’t know where the water is.  

These may not be the best players in the world but he’s not getting even the average out of any of them.  I can’t name any player that is playing well or even decent at the moment.  When it’s all of them it’s a coaching problem more so that an individual issue and you seem to suggest the other way around.

• Like 3

Blaming the players over the manager is fine when a manager first joins a club, and maybe further down the line if he isn’t getting transfer budget from the owners.

At this point in Gerrard’s tenure, blaming the players is just an excuse.

He’s signed Coutinho, Digne, Chambers, Kamara, he’s sold Targett, sent Hause out on loan, lost Chuk, the younger players are coming of age, etc etc… AND had a whole summer to work with them. This is very much his squad now.

He can say “it’s on me” all he likes, what we want to hear is explanations of how he’s going to fix it.

In answer to @CVByrne’s point, it’s not the early results that are the problem. Losing away at Palace is something lots of teams will do this season. It’s the lack of any sign of a vision or coherent explanation of where we go from here. Most people think centre mid is a problem, and yet the key “problem” player has been given the captaincy.

I’ve no problem with Gerrard getting until the World Cup to turn this around, I just don’t really see it happening. Wouldn’t Beale have stuck around if he really believed things were going to improve?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Wouldn’t Beale have stuck around if he really believed things were going to improve?

I thought about that too when Beale left. I understand he wanted to try and be the head coach, but being a very public face of Gerrard’s setup it would have been brilliant for his career if they could take Villa to Europe. If Beale really believed that was possible he would have stayed on IMO.

• Like 1

One thing I am finding surprising is the lack of support he is getting from his ex teammates in the media. They were all out supporting Lampard when he was under fire at Chelsea

Either they dont believe in his ideas too or Villa are not important enough for the media to discuss

4 minutes ago, Zatman said:

One thing I am finding surprising is the lack of support he is getting from his ex teammates in the media. They were all out supporting Lampard when he was under fire at Chelsea

Either they dont believe in his ideas too or Villa are not important enough for the media to discuss

Probably the latter. 

25 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

Gerrard will always go with the diamond (4312) when he really needs a result. After that it’s straight back to the christmas tree for the next game.

You'd think going with the formation which works best for you, would prevent you " needing " results in the firs replace ffs 🤦🏿‍♂️.

I do get " tweaking " and changing for the opposition etc, but there are only so many times you can fail with one method, and keep trying it.

Definition of insanity? Or stubbornness.

25 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

The expectation is when you sack one manager for underperforming/not getting the best of what he has at his disposal is that the guy replacing him will do better. Maybe not instantly but certainly after 9 months, the best part of two transfer windows, a full pre season and 31 games.

In the premier league:

Smith 1.15ppg

Gerrard 1.27ppg

I'm not saying we are where we should be with the squad we have btw, but hysteria this so far this season has been off the scale.

35 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

I'd be confident in saying we now have one of the top 8 wage bills in the country and with that has to come some expectation that you are going to get at least close to replicating that with your league position. Performances and results over the last 31 games under Gerrard tell us we are miles away. That can't be defended for me.

We had the 9th best record in the league since Gerrard arrived last season and it would have been 8th but for the last 20 mins against City. That sounds more like close to replicating our position in the wage table than being miles away, no?

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, tomsky_11 said:

In the premier league:

Smith 1.15ppg

Gerrard 1.27ppg

I'm not saying we are where we should be with the squad we have btw, but hysteria this so far this season has been off the scale.

We had the 9th best record in the league since Gerrard arrived last season and it would have been 8th but for the last 20 mins against City. That sounds more like close to replicating our position in the wage table than being miles away, no?

Bit pointless. Smith had a whole season where just surviving was success. Gerrard has been brought in to take us to the next level. 

Do you see us as a team finishing in the top half this season?

• Like 4

Just now, DCJonah said:

Bit pointless. Smith had a whole season where just surviving was success. Gerrard has been brought in to take us to the next level.

Sure I get that, hence saying we aren't neccessarily where we should be right now with this squad.

But the post I was replying to was suggesting he was doing worse and he's not. Should he be doing better, yeah maybe. But this isn't the disaster that it's being made out to be just yet. That would've been continuing what Smith's form last season and seeing us relegated, not having the 9th best record in the league since arrival.

6 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Do you see us as a team finishing in the top half this season?

Yeah don't see why not. Extend Gerrard's overall form from last season + improvement at DM + any other improvements we might make in personnel before window closes, should equal a top half finish. Not guaranteed obviously beause likes of Palace, Newcastle, Brighton are looking good so far this season so it's going to be very competative.

11 minutes ago, tomsky_11 said:

Yeah don't see why not. Extend Gerrard's overall form from last season + improvement at DM + any other improvements we might make in personnel before window closes, should equal a top half finish. Not guaranteed obviously beause likes of Palace, Newcastle, Brighton are looking good so far this season so it's going to be very competative.

We’re getting worse, players aren’t improving. We’ve signed a brilliant DM and hang him out to dry. No way do we get near the top 10 on this form imo, and it’s been our form throughout 2022

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, a m ole said:

With Ashley Young as a 10, Matt Targett and Nakamba 🤒

With Beale and without Beale.

He can’t function without an assistant. It’s all on Critchley now…

🤦‍♂️

Honestly, what does he do? Because he clearly can’t coach or set up a team. Leans on his staff too much.

2 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

We’re getting worse, players aren’t improving. We’ve signed a brilliant DM and hang him out to dry. No way do we get near the top 10 on this form imo, and it’s been our form throughout 2022

Maybe we can if we get a proper manager in, before it’s too late…

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â