Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

1 minute ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

The Athletic today have a big feature on the average age of new signings at the Premier League clubs during the last ten years.

Villa’s signings have been relatively old seen over the ten year period which surprised me a bit. But the Gerrard effect is obvious as well.

When it comes to the impact a current manager has had on the age profile of a club’s signings, Steven Gerrard’s brief time at Villa so far has marked one of the most drastic changes in transfer strategy.”

https://theathletic.com/3516067/2022/08/21/age-profile-signings-premier-league/?source=user_shared_article

Unsurprising and was called on here at the time. Its like the MON transfer policy

Waiting for our Habib Beye

Summary of a Bmail article written by a user on reddit. 

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-crystal-palace-transfers-24812349

Important (worrying) takes from the article.

1: Cash lost his head numerous times, as did McGinn who was taken off with 20 to go by Gerrard just moments after hacking at Zaha despite being on a booking. “It was a tightrope he was on,” Gerrard said, “and I can’t afford to lose John McGinn right now in the situation we’re in so I tried to do the sensible thing.” 

2. BirminghamLive asked Palace manager Patrick Vieira where he thought Villa were vulnerable, to which he replied: “We knew we had to move the ball well to expose [Villa] on the sides to create two-vs-one. 

This number 2 is **** embarrassing. How blatantly obvious it is to exploit. 

Finally:

3.Gerrard, meanwhile, has continued to stress the importance of Villa’s “identity” but what exactly is that? Villa’s expected goals (xG) was 0.8 yesterday to Palace’s 2.9. Gerrard chucked on Danny Ings five minutes after Zaha made it 2-1, flipping his system once more to chase for an equaliser. Ings touched the ball five times in 30 minutes, with Villa struggling to keep hold of the ball and to play through the thirds all afternoon. I’m just not sure where Villa are at the moment or what we’re trying to achieve. The team are miles off where we all thought they would be even at this early stage of the season.

This one we all noticed as well. Danny Ings coming on for Bailey when we couldn’t get the ball because of our midfield lol.

I’m kinda glad even the numpties over here are realising Gerrard is a clown now.

10 hours ago, Chindie said:

Gerrard being a joke doesn't redeem Smith. When we sacked him we'd been shit for months. He was done. Will always be welcome at Villa Park, but he had to go.

Gerrard has a remarkably similar journey. Here's hoping we reach the destination sooner this season, and dump him.

Possibly but hard to know for sure because we didn't give him a chance to get through his first proper bad patch. 

And it's even worse when you consider the circumstances around it. Lost his coaching staff in the summer. Lost our best player and club captain. Injuries to key players. Big 3 summer signings never on the pitch together. 

Would he have turned it around? Who knows. But he'd done enough in his time here to be given the chance to do so. 

And now with hindsight of whats happened since, even more so. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-crystal-palace-transfers-24812349

“It was a tightrope he was on,” Gerrard said, “and I can’t afford to lose John McGinn right now in the situation we’re in so I tried to do the sensible thing.” 

I was at a wedding yesterday so missed the game. I did wonder why McGinn hadn't got his guaranteed full 90, but now I see it's so he can get more guaranteed 90s. Makes sense now 🙄

5 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Does that not tell you it was having Jack rather than Smith that had us in that position?

Yes and no. Take the best and most creative player out of any team and they'll struggle, regardless of how good the manager is.

Imagine Rooney/Ronaldo getting a long term injury in 2007ish. Even Fergie would have struggled without them.

12 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

1: Cash lost his head numerous times, as did McGinn who was taken off with 20 to go by Gerrard just moments after hacking at Zaha despite being on a booking. “It was a tightrope he was on,” Gerrard said, “and I can’t afford to lose John McGinn right now in the situation we’re in so I tried to do the sensible thing.” 

We can't afford to miss him giving the ball back to the opposition with his 71% pass completion and most fouls committed.

Gerrards obsession with McGinn is costing us, and its probably going to cost him his job

• Thanks 1

The biggest red flag for me is that he spent most of the latter half of the season saying he was going to change a lot in the summer and that pre-season would be a huge reset to our style etc.

He's had that, yet we look worse than the back end of last season. He seems incapable of seeing the most basic problems that we have - fullbacks too high leaving huge gaps for the opposition to break into, McGinn, Konsa...

He hasnt been helped by some of the players being so limited, but he's spent  mind-blowing amount of money and hasn't improved us one bit.

He does have good hair though

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, villanmac said:

Since he's come the teams we've beaten are Norwich, Burnley, Everton, Palace, Brighton, Leeds, Southampton, Leicester. Any manager could have done that.

Not once has he punched above his weight in terms of getting wins imo. It feels like he just wants a blank cheque to buy champions league players/top internationals to get us up the league but any **** can do that. As a manager you have to bring something to the table yourself...win games tactically, get players to overachieve or just build a system or style of play at the very least. I can't see anything.

That's just laughable.

When you start to look at his stats, if he wasn't a 'name' he would have gone last season, they are just awful.

21 minutes ago, duke313 said:

If the manager can only be successful with one player, then it is the manager. Especially when that player is injured all the time, never mind being sold.

That manager was successful with ONE great player.

This guy has a bunch of them.

3 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

That's just laughable.

When you start to look at his stats, if he wasn't a 'name' he would have gone last season, they are just awful.

He would not have got hired only for his name

• Like 1

I've been accused of bedwetting before, but everyone is bedwetting now and I'm loving it.

The giving Gerrard the summer despite his horrible record last season is not the genius master plan it seemed back here. What a waste

I didn’t watch the game or see the highlights as I had a feeling we wouldn’t have won that game and I did not want to ruin my weekend.

I will say, it’s becoming more apparent that SG isn’t tactical and himself and coaching team don’t have enough about them to implement a known style.

I did say give him until after Xmas but now I feel that he isn’t good enough.

We are screwed because we have thrown some money at players that didn’t want to play for the club but wanted to play under Gerrard.

I just don’t know how this going to end honestly. 

1 hour ago, MotoMkali said:

Summary of a Bmail article written by a user on reddit. 

Important (worrying) takes from the article.

“It was a tightrope he was on,” Gerrard said, “and I can’t afford to lose John McGinn right now in the situation we’re in so I tried to do the sensible thing.” 

This right here is why Gerrard won't be in the job much longer. McGinn is our weak link in midfield and should have been replaced last summer.  Gerrard not seeing this is concerning. 

• Like 1

Funny thing is if we'd have won yesterday it would have meant that since Gerrard came in only Liverpool, Man City, Chelsea, Spurs, and Newcasle would have taken more points than us in that time.

But on the flip side, we're one of the worst teams in the league in 2022, before Everton game even Burnley had taken more Premier League points than us in 2022.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

There’s nothing worse than ‘should have, could have, would have in life. At the time Smith had to go, he had taken us as far as he could and if anything we were in decline. Gerrard was bought in to first get us away from the relegation zone and out of the rut we were in.  We looked so bad people were saying we are going to go down, just like they are now.

He did that. Then he had to push us on. He isn’t doing that and there doesn’t seem to be much indication that he will. 

Forget the we should have stuck with Smith talk. It’s all about what the club does next. 

Yeah exactly. Changing view on Gerrard doesn't automatically mean it was wrong to let Deano go.

I'm currently watching UTV podcast, they are now on about " average position " on the pitch.

Absolutely nothing in the middle 🤦🏿‍♂️

As they also said, we aren't even Managers, but from before the match, we all knew the diagonal ball from Anderson to Zaha would be a problem, so surely Management should have known this?

Or maybe they did but just never addressed it?

Don't get it.

Anyway, SG needs to adapt and/or change philosophy or his written his own P45.

It's not a time for stubbornness, it's a time for common sense.

Even the most positive podcasters seem to have lost faith, or very close.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, nick76 said:

The fans that have been arguing against me/others and dismissing the stats we have been using for some time are now using those same stats for the reason to get rid of Gerrard.  Amazing what 24 hours can do.

Fwiw I’m not using stats at all. I’m just going on how poor the players look.  I’ve tried to support the manager and look for the positives. It’s just hard to find any at the moment. 

I really hope the place doesn’t turn in to a ‘I told you so’ smugness.  Although to be fair it’s probably justified in many cases and would happen if it was the reverse.

So all I can say is those that have said Gerrard isn't the answer from the off, please get it out your system :)

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, nick76 said:

The fans that have been arguing against me/others and dismissing the stats we have been using for some time are now using those same stats for the reason to get rid of Gerrard.  Amazing what 24 hours can do.

I don’t think it’s a case of not seeing the stats, least not for me.

There has been shoots of positivity and in some instances remarkable performances, see first half at Spurs and 70 minutes versus Man City, where it’s like ah okay, so that’s potentially what this Gerrard team “could” become.

Sadly at the moment the poor performances are far far outweighing them.

It’s likely Gerrards system doesn’t work in the Premier League, but I mean, he did pretty well with getting Rangers so far in the Europa league, so you can understand why some have been more patient.

That said, he is going to need to learn and adapt and do it fast and be prepared to try different approaches moving forward if he wants to stay as a Premier League manager.

• Like 4

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â