Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

2 hours ago, PussEKatt said:

IMHO the bare minimum is a win to Everton and a draw at Palace.

AVFC has spent a lot of money and we have some very decent players. Yet here we are ITS THE SECOND GAME OF THE SEASON and already we have a MUST WIN GAME,FFS. 

Yep, 1 win 1 draw and 1 loss against Bournemouth, Everton & Palace is still pretty poor.  

Especially because after that is West Ham and Man City so we will probably end up with 1 win, 2 draws and 2 losses from our first 5.   That's 5 points from 15, relegation form.  Maybe even 4 points from 15.

We have to beat both Everton and Palace really.

Sign a big man to link the play and bring the midfield into the game. We need presence. Seems like Gerrard’s system needs it. Got some great players to play off someone who can outmuscle and shrug off defenders and just be a menace in the box. With Keinan being linked with another championship loan I dont know if being left with 3 players with similar profiles in height will just limit and frustrate us like it did last year. All these fullbacks whipping balls into nobody is a waste, Ings would play better in a 2 with a unit up top. Imagine Coutinho, Bailey, Buendia buzzing around a Kalajdzic instead of threading balls through the eyes of a needle and hoping Watkins doesnt miscontrol or fall over. Think how many off days they both have, that game on Saturday just shows we need a different option because theres too many games where we cant get players involved enough. Sick of watching this clueless stuff now it seems obvious we need a new big man at Villa Park. Lacked it since Benteke

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

How many games does everyone think he has left, before the board sake him 

West Ham/Arsenal/City triple header is looming

If we have 6 points or less on the board after 6 games a call will have to be made

Another shoddy performance like Bournemouth before that then it will be made earlier

2 hours ago, villabromsgrove said:

TRO, you've absolutely nailed it in my opinion.

For the past couple of seasons I've been uneasy about the comfortable 'boys club' mentality that has been allowed to spread through our squad. (I've mentioned it a number of times in posts).

First team players on very comfortable wages, but not prepared to put in 100% when it hurts. Fringe players also on comfortable wages enjoying the luxurious ambience of BMH but not demonstrating a hunger for securing a first team spot when they get an opportunity.

There has been scant evidence of a Gerrard style "do or die" mentality spreading throughout the squad.

I believe that he has identified that this "Villa boys club" at BMH is a root cause of the malaise that he is determined to cure.

The squad has not yet bought in to his 'blood and guts' mentality. The change of captaincy is the first clear indicator that SG has had enough of the status quo, and I believe his decision to make McGinn team captain was a statement of intent. McGinn's personality embodies the passion, aggression and determination that SG demands, even if he isn't our best footballer. 

Gerrard often mystifies me with his player selection and "tactics". From my viewpoint he regularly fails to play the right team but I realise that I have no idea what goes on behind the scenes at BMH. Is there a reason why certain players aren't involved as much as many of us think they should be? SG knows .... and I haven't got a clue.

Whether or not you believe Gerrard is the right manager for Villa, I would hope that there is a consensus that whoever the manager was/is, his biggest job would be to drag our complacent squad out of their comfort zone into the real Premier League world. Even PL teams that are widely regarded as relegation candidates are still prepared to battle tirelessly, and currently must look forward to playing Villa.

Gerrard's job is to change this perception of soft bellied, easy touch Villa as swiftly as possible. If he fails to get the right response he will be replaced sooner rather than later. 

Spot on Bri.

• Thanks 1

Just now, VillaParkAvenue said:

Must admit I don’t get it. Is he suggesting Gerrard is trying to bury him? And is he planning sabotage at Bodymoor?

How I read it is that Villa have tried to sabotage his career but he's too strong. Could be totally wrong though, footballers aren't the most eloquent of writers. 

5 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I’ve seen many decent discussions tbf. But personally I’ve tried to look for positives and keep an optimistic approach and have been shut down in most cases so don’t even bother now.  I admit a lot of it has been blind faith though and hoping things come good.  Saturday was horrible.

I can only speak for myself....but Blind Faith is a bit disingenuous to fans who have supported Gerrard...and that could inc you too, because I know you have.

This team has had a weak streak, before Gerrard set foot in Villa Park.....He chanced his arm with a huge club on its arse, sure it was scotland where the standard is lower.....but he had to do something big, to gain credibility, he won the league , hard to do in any league.

His playing days showed, leadership and a steely determination to win, he was universally accepted as a warrior......is it any surprise, some folk like me, would think he will bring this in to his management.....Because I thought it was needed, amongst many things.

The ills we had before he arrived, are still here, much to my susrprise.....but maybe thats my fault, for underestimating thesize of the job in hand.............changing the mentality, and the culture of what has become accepted, as a soft team, is maybe more difficult than we all imagined.

Maybe his efforts to change it have actually misfired somewhat, and requires a rethink.

Whatever, it is, we need to fix it....we can't keep throwing managers at it.....Man U have shown us that.

This club/team losing 19 games and winning 6 at home......something had to change, maybe some of the players are quite happy for it not to change and there lies the conflict......only those close to BMH may know.

There is no chance of Villa coming out and airing their dirty washing.....so only results/perfomances are the only pacifying medicine.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

I think the reactions in general have been a little over the top both fans and media, and Gerrard should certainly be given some time to correct things.

How much time really depends on him. Performances like Bournemouth can not continue, if we are that inept against Everton then there's going to be plenty more calling for his head and at some point those calls will become too loud to ignore. 

There has to be improvement, and continuous improvement for the foreseeable future.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, villa89 said:

It wasnt at all. Look at the season ticket waiting list, if someone isn't willing to pay to renew because of a slight price increase there's thousands of other people that will take their place. It's simple supply and demand and we still have very reasonable ticket prices compared to the rest of the league. 

another positive answer as another negative bites the dust.

22 minutes ago, Teale's 'tache said:

I think the reactions in general have been a little over the top both fans and media, and Gerrard should certainly be given some time to correct things.

How much time really depends on him. Performances like Bournemouth can not continue, if we are that inept against Everton then there's going to be plenty more calling for his head and at some point those calls will become too loud to ignore. 

There has to be improvement, and continuous improvement for the foreseeable future.

ditto.

7 hours ago, TRO said:

He is now challenging the Status Quo.....This team has had a lethargy about if for some time, and it needs challenging.

Any Manager coming in, would eventually have the same dilemma.

The soft under belly in this team has been around for some time now.....and it has to be addressed.

I am not saying SG is right about everything far from it, but he does need support in trying to bring about a change in attitude, which won't be easy.....how many times, have we witnessed sloppy play, capitulations, failure to beat teams we should be beating.....this has been bumping along under more that one manager.....it has to be met head on, for it to change.

Folk cite coaching as the problem, it may well be, but there is also more to it than that IMO......something is more deep rooted.

He has come in Mid season, with a brief to ensure, Premier League Status, with 19 defeats, the season was pants.....but stability was key.

He now has to start as he means to go on and maybe " shit or bust" maybe the order of the day is tackle the issues or go( The attitude of this team is taking us nowhere)......They have to back him to sort it out or sack him...but if they take the later, the problems will still be there, for the next man to face.....this has been a similar issue at Old Trafford.

It takes balls, more than money , to fix it.

Sage words. I hadn't thought about the long standing, underlying malaise this club has endured for more than a decade. I did call for him to go but I think you may have a point. Question is, how long do we give him?

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â