Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

Just now, maqroll said:

I can't recall going from optimistic and excited for a new season to pessimistic and despondent in a matter of 96 minutes.

What a **** calamity. 

Complete shambles. I have no faith Gerrard can turn this around, so it’ll be another wasted season.

1 minute ago, Tomaszk said:

@PieFacE is correct.

But...so are you. Would be so annoying to waste this season.

Leicester are in disarray, West Ham have Europe to contend with, Wolves look very weak (Guedes is a shame).

There's only Newcastle to worry about outside the top 6. Plus obviously they appointed their manager the same time as us and have gone flying past us when they had 0 wins. Embarrassing.

Next year it will be much harder to finish 7th or 8th.

Brighton and Palace will probably finish above us again.

32 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Talk of relegation was more than premature… but my point isn’t why we sacked Dean… it’s why we’re sticking with SG after 9 months of dross, no signs of progress and improvement, no defined way of playing, and apparent unrest now…

He hasn’t been with us for one game… 6 wins in 23… are we really happy with that? He’s had his preseason, he’s brought his own players in… should he not be under pressure at least?

Another wasted season is upcoming…

I think he is mate.  He’s got a massive 2 months ahead.

• Like 1

if we lose against Everton, i think all proverbial hell is gonna break loose (in terms of booing/chanting), i wonder if a loss to Everton could be the end of Gerrard?

I would assume not as the owners will prob give him a period of time, but i can just imagine what the crowd will be like if we play poorly and lose versus Everton, i really think it would be something else?

i get the feeling a lot of fans are waiting, primed for a moment to explode, rather than it being organic, and the Everton game could be the fuse i reckon.

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 1

As well as the poor, listless performances/displays and the pathetic results/record… it feels like he’s causing damage and unrest… 

he is becoming more of a detriment than an aid…

the signs are not good at all and I can’t see where the turnaround is going to come from…

obviously, the ideal scenario is that it suddenly clicks and we start playing amazingly well, positive performances and results…

but… that just seems like dreaming… completely unrealistic… he and his support staff have given us nothing and we are heading nowhere… they are all wrong for the job afaic… we are spiralling downwards…

there have to be signs or evidence to have hope… there are zero…

hope was all I had going into this season, ahead of preseason in which I gathered no encouragement either…

that hope has almost disappeared for me now and I am worried about our future under this guy… genuinely concerned…

I am sick of us wasting the opportunities to “get ahead” and make actual progress, they won’t always be there. We risk being left behind…

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Brighton and Palace will probably finish above us again.

That’s unacceptable really…

we just seem to be pissing about when we should be overtaking these teams… we have much greater resources that we just seem to be wasting…

it’s embarrassing how we are being shown up and look so inferior… because the management team can’t get this group of players to play an identifiable or remotely entertaining form of football nor can they bring their qualities out…

it’s a joke…

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

if we lose against Everton, i think all proverbial hell is gonna break loose (in terms of booing/chanting), i wonder if a loss to Everton could be the end of Gerrard?

I would assume not as the owners will prob give him a period of time, but i can just imagine what the crowd will be like if we play poorly and lose versus Everton, i really think it would be something else?

It wouldn’t be great would it. Two defeats from matches we probably should expect 4 points at least at the moment. It will just highlight that there are a number of issues on and off the field. Throwing millions to sign new players wouldn’t be the answer either. 

Edited by Tayls

17 minutes ago, maqroll said:

After every loss under Gerrard last season, he'd throw the players under the bus by saying "I need better players".

He's signed a few "better players", but the majority from last season are still here. Who among them know how Gerrard feels about them?

His treatment of Buendia has been shocking.

His treatment of Mings has been shocking.

He's doing more harm.than good, isn't he?

That’s all he does, deflect blame and put out hollow words… frankly I’m sick of it and his “management style” simply doesn’t work… he has a huge ego and can’t seem to recognise his own faults and shortcomings…

He is going to destroy squad morale, spirit and unity the way he is going…

I don’t think the players actually know what they are supposed to be doing out there either…

Edited by Jas10

1 minute ago, Tayls said:

It wouldn’t be great would it. Two defeats in matches we probably should expect 4 points at least at the moment. It will just highlight that there are number of issues in and off the field. Throwing millions to sign new players wouldn’t be the answer either. 

tbh i would be happy spending another 50m this window to fix some of the remaning gaps in the first 11, as i am actually very happy with the purchases over the last 18 months.

However, i would be more than happy right now, for another manager to try and get the most out of our squad (and any new signings), as i have 90% lost confidence in Gerrard to do it.

My main worry is if we get those so called "easy" games out of the way like the Bournemouths of the world, and we get through it in a bad shape what happens then? 

Gerrard had an awful record against the top half teams last season 😞

6 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

My main worry is if we get those so called "easy" games out of the way like the Bournemouths of the world, and we get through it in a bad shape what happens then? 

Then he will have been found out and Purslow will have to take action…

5 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

For reference, our record against top half teams under Gerrard last season was P13 W2 D2 L9. The 2 wins were both against Brighton.

Just now, Keyblade said:

For reference, our record against top half teams under Gerrard last season was P13 W2 D2 L9. The 2 wins were both against Brighton.

That is horrendous.

And looking at Brighton on Sunday those will be tough games...

25 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

i get the feeling a lot of fans are waiting, primed for a moment to explode, rather than it being organic, and the Everton game could be the fuse i reckon.

Thing is if we lose against Everton I'd imagine we lose the next four after that too...

3 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

So it was ZERO wins against the top 8.  That's so bad.

Christ listening to the Mings debacle on various media, you get the impression that Gerrard is turning us into a bit of a circus with his pointlessly incendiary comments. We seemed to have rolled the clock back several years in a few months.

• Sad 1

40 minutes ago, maqroll said:

After every loss under Gerrard last season, he'd throw the players under the bus by saying "I need better players".

He's signed a few "better players", but the majority from last season are still here. Who among them know how Gerrard feels about them?

His treatment of Buendia has been shocking.

His treatment of Mings has been shocking.

He's doing more harm.than good, isn't he?

The Athletic recently made a light-hearted ”Managerial moan index”, ranking which managers make the most excuses when losing.

Gerrard was mid-table there, but when looking at different types of excuses he stood out as the manager most likely to blame his players.

”This category only addresses an attempt by a manager to absolve themselves of responsibility, whether that is by 1) claiming their squad had failed to follow instructions, or 2) pointing to an individual mistake which cost their side the game. 

Particularly fond of this reason is Aston Villa manager Steven Gerrard, who blamed his players in approximately half of his excuses.”

https://theathletic.com/3462546/2022/08/04/premier-league-manager-excuses/?source=user_shared_article

• Like 1

EDIT: Got this completely WRONG, This was actually a win under Deano in 2021

Just watched the Last Everton highlights posted by the club , goals came from some outstanding moves.

I also remember us having some brilliant moves and playing some brilliant football in a couple of other performances too.

Reminds me that, whilst we've been shit alot, admittedly, the notion that " we've never played any good football " or seen any signs of encouragement throughout his whole tenure is absolute nonsense.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

We haven't beaten a team that finished above 15th in the league last season since December

• Shocked 2

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â