Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

3 minutes ago, duke313 said:

If (or when) Gerrard gets the sack, prepare yourself for Sky ripping Villa apart. Everybody, the club, the players, the fans but Gerrard will be blamed.

I couldn’t care less what the media think or say!

Edited by nick76

29 minutes ago, Zatman said:

i dont want him here either but think its not cool to want us lose, I do think the best thing is to end it asap for the good of the club

Watching us is draining.

If we were losing but there were positives, I would be patient. But when we're benching our best players and starting our worst options, in a weird system, my patience is gone.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Watching us is draining.

If we were losing but there were positives, I would be patient. But when we're benching our best players and starting our worst options, in a weird system, my patience is gone.

I agree its the worst I have ever watched at Villa but the problem is if we keep losing the next manager will be in an impossible situation to get points on the board

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I agree its the worst I have ever watched at Villa but the problem is if we keep losing the next manager will be in an impossible situation to get points on the board

Did you mean not the worst? 

I mean it's bad but it's a long way from the worst in my 25 years watching. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WallisFrizz said:

This is true. Dean Smith seemed like a completely lovely bloke and I think even he fell out with Mings towards the end. So maybe there is an issue that needed addressing with Mings. I just don’t like that it has been done so publically. The carrot of the captaincy has been dangled in front of him for ages then stripping it of him, then the little dig in the media.

SG might be completely right but no need to wash your dirty linen in public.

You are right, Dean too had an issue with Mings.

I would have played him on Saturday, but, I don't know all the ins and outs, in his absence Chambers would of got my call.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Condimentalist said:

Did you mean not the worst? 

I mean it's bad but it's a long way from the worst in my 25 years watching. 

its easily the worst, McLeish or Bruce didnt have the quality we currently have. 

At least we knew Herd or Whelan was capable of, now we have Coutinho, Buendia, ings and many more on the books

3 hours ago, nick76 said:

I think you are focusing too much on the players rather than what Gerrard is not doing!  It’s deflecting from the general cohesion and play of this team.  The players were good enough with the qualities they had to win this game.

(I agree with the height thing generally though)

I am not suggesting SG is blame free....that would be a false Narrative.....but equally, I think, its not JUST tactics, either...Its a combination of things

The Everton Game, will tell us whether it was a one off or not.....but Coady will know how to rattle us.

• Like 1

Won 10 out of 29 games poor record and has been backed by the owners.

We don't have a identity or system , plan etc seems like we play in hope players don't understand there roles. Look at Bournemouth they had a plan , system and executed it and look at there squad.

Edited by ozvilla28

6 minutes ago, Zatman said:

its easily the worst, McLeish or Bruce didnt have the quality we currently have. 

At least we knew Herd or Whelan was capable of, now we have Coutinho, Buendia, ings and many more on the books

I still remember Whelan fondly tbf. Never a bother, did his job, worked hard even though his age had taken its toll.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, ozvilla28 said:

Won 10 out of 29 games poor record and has been backed by the owners.

We don't have a identity or system , plan etc seems like we play in hope players don't understand there roles. Look at Bournemouth they had a plan , system and executed it and look at there squad.

We do have a system, it's marauding wing backs with two number 10s behind the striker, like Brazil in 2002 but without Cafu, Roberto Carlos, Rivaldo, Ronaldinho and Ronaldo and it's not quite worked.

Needs to pick a system that suits the players available to him. Not shoehorn his preferred tactics on a group of players that can’t play it. He hasn’t signed that many players since joining, yet needed to sign something like 35 players at Rangers before they were really successful and played how he wanted them to. We can’t wait that long for things to start working.

Whatever happens he needs to bring in a top class ball playing CM that can control a game.

If that still doesn’t work, he needs to be replaced.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Brumstopdogs said:

Agree with the majority of that.

Just on the last paragraph given Gerrard himself identified we lacked stature (West Ham away last season) and how they were better than us at defending set pieces and crosses.

IMO if we're singing similar players (and Gerrard has a say in who we buy) who are not rectifying these deficiencies then Gerrard has to take a big portion of the blame for that (aswell as whoever else is involved).

I totally agree with that.....I am staggered, he hasn't really addressed it.... we are crying out for some stature.

I am happy with Carlos and Kamara......but its not enough.....The others are just cover, not counting them......Its first team, meat we want.

during 2022 we played 21 games....won 6 lost 10 drawn 5...pretty poor, I would say.

We signed Coutinho and Digne in Jan........ 2 fine footballers, but lightweight, when the going gets tough....now I am not blaming them soley, but it just adds to the already band of lightweights.

This team is puny.....and opponents sniff it out.

I am not trying to dig out any individuals, but the balance in many ways is naive....its samey, it lacks many ingredients for the Premeir League.

Many teams have transformed, from a lightweight disposition to a more robust approach, Brentford being just one....Newcastle have brought in Heavyweights to add to their guile, too....West Ham always was a football first team, but changed and brought in some muscle......Spurs are becoming more combative and so are Arsenal.

We cannot rely on Talent ALONE to win games...... we must add more steel, in to our play.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Tom13 said:

If I feel in my gut he's not the right man to take us forward, why would I not want him gone?

Wanting him gone is totally fair - it's the "I want Villa to keep on losing" that I find weird.

Surely the best outcome would be that he turns it around and we start looking good (however unlikely you may think that is)?

• Like 3

This so spot on. Everything I’ve listened to recently suggests that many, many people hold a similar view now on Gerrard and that we are clueless and have no style of play… can’t quite remember when so many were of the similar opinion. There were still defenders of Bruce back in those dark days.

Listening to the Villa View and UTV… they usually seem the most positive or optimistic but even they are pissed off…

The reason I have been so annoyed is because I don’t see any signs of encouragement and no evidence that there is going to be some huge turnaround and that we’ll suddenly become an entertaining, cohesive and successful side. We’re just wasting our opportunities to be better.

I would be happy to “eat my words” if we suddenly turn into an amazing team and everything clicks… but have zero belief that that could even happen under this management and this coaching team. Gerrard has had 9 months, massive backing, huge leeway and resources/finances and he’s only managed to see us to 6 victories in 23 games! I can’t understand how that can be tolerated! He’s had his preseason and brought players in of his own choice. He’s been spoilt! And we have nothing to show for it, if anything it looks like we’ve regressed even further. Why oh why were we not prepared for the first game of this season against one of the weakest sides in the division? Why did we not have a way of playing and were unable to create any clear chances? Why, after all this time, do we have no defined way of playing and still keep repeating the same mistakes (and making more) and have become so aimless and directionless?

All I wish is for us to do well, regardless of who the manager is, but I can no longer tolerate wasting time and resources on clueless and directionless managers/coaches… especially when everything seems to be going so well (brilliant owners, healthy finances, expansion plans, improved academy etc etc) away from the actual football side (on the pitch, tactics, training, seemingly non existent coaching) which is absolutely piss poor.

All the good work and momentum around the club since NSWE came in and DS brought this “fallen giant back to his feet” is risking being undone… all because of the need to entertain and indulge one man… who was never the right man…

I’m so concerned and am fed up of throwing time and resources away and continually looking to the “next season” with baseless hope…

We have an opportunity to really become a force in this league and just seem to be throwing it away…

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 1

The club, will know far more than we do, if SG has had enough time or not.

I suspect, he is having to deal with issues, that have legs, and are resurfacing, but only they will know that.

If he is having problems with things inherent with the club, they will back him to put it right......if that is not the case, he may have a short stay.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, SuffolkVillan said:

Not sure if anyone has picked this up, but odds on SG being 1st PL Manager to lose his job were 14/1 yesterday( had a sneaky £10 on it, rude not to) today around 9/2

so I wasn't the only one

Hippo's put a big bet on.

Â