Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

2 minutes ago, OLDVILLAIN said:

I dont care if they name the  Villa Mascot as Captain...

Im more worried about who is going to convert all the chances we are going to create over the upcoming season.

Yep completely, that’s why I’m enjoying this sideshow for the evening because the reality is that we have bigger problems in the cold light of day as you mention.

9 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Yep completely, that’s why I’m enjoying this sideshow for the evening because the reality is that we have bigger problems in the cold light of day as you mention.

McGinn as captain could turn out to be a big problem.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

It's hard to explain but pretty much every substantial decision he he makes feels wrong. Hopefully my intuition is misguided and he has it all in the bag.

I wouldn't go that far - but I know what you mean. 

Whereas under Deano it felt right most of the time, and low and behold we kept improving, until that dreadful pre-season last year cost us big time. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

McGinn as captain could turn out to be a big problem.

Why? He was playing every game anyway so no real change there so it’s just other things which if it’s not on the pitch what big problems could it cause?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

Why? He was playing every game anyway so no real change there so it’s just other things which if it’s not on the pitch what big problems could it cause?

That is the problem for me, he will play every game. And I am not convinced that is a good thing.

3 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

Making McGinn captain is a very strange decision.

He isn't even our best midfielder.

We always get pelters from McGinn fans if we criticise him.

I assume some posters will be happy with the choice?

Tbf the managers makes the call and he knows both players better than any of us. I like Mcginn.

My problem is more the way the issue has been handled than the decision itself.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

That is the problem for me, he will play every game. And I am not convinced that is a good thing.

I don’t think him being made captain changes that.  Gerrard loves him so would’ve played him whether he was captain or not.

4 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Shameful manager...if only Mings or Emi dressed like a turkey they could be leaders

Relegation battle here we come

Bit of an overreaction mate. John McGinn being captain isn't going to put us into a relegation battle 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Condimentalist said:

I wouldn't go that far - but I know what you mean. 

Whereas under Deano it felt right most of the time, and low and behold we kept improving, until that dreadful pre-season last year cost us big time. 

Sorry that is nonsense.  The last 2/3rds of that season we were rubbish under Dean.  We were displaying relegation form for 10 months (across the end of one season and the start of the next).  We were making the same mistakes week after week.  To be fair we seem to still be making the same mistakes now.  If Dean had made more right decisions between January and October 2021 he wouldn't have been sacked.  Almost all the criticisms I read about Gerrard (not finding a system that works, not making the right substitutes, not dropping / taking off players out of form) were exactly the same things people were saying about Smith.  Smith had 10 months to find a solution.  Gerrard's record last season was better than Smith's and yet somehow some people seem intent on passing all the blame to him.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Reivax_Villa said:

A few weeks before the winter transfer window?

Yes. He can take a role in recruitment if the answer is always sign the finished article. 

I find it interesting that our expectations as a fan base are roughly in line with last season, despite all the investment in 'Gerrard's' squad (which theoretically is much improved from last season). Arguably, his predecessor was at least partially a victim of his own success in the second season up, it pushed up expectations - if we're bobbing around 15th come World Cup he should be out on his arse. 

Maybe he’s already had enough of moaning Brummies so he is doing a Lambert /Bruce style stealth sabotage to get the sack along with the millions that comes with it! 

Next move is to not pick Beundia in the next squad and put Ashley Young on front:

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Maybe he’s already had enough of moaning Brummies so he is doing a Lambert /Bruce style stealth sabotage to get the sack along with the millions that comes with it! 

Next move is to not pick Beundia in the next squad and put Ashley Young on front:

Young with the Whelan moment. 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â