Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

12 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Finishing 10 points and 3 positions off the previous season is really not entitled especially since we have spent a lot and he is apparently a "managerial upgrade" 

And took over when we were 8 points worse off than the season before total. So to end the season only 2 points further away  suggests he improved the same squad of players beyond what Dean looked like he was achieving without Grealish.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, MrBlack said:

And took over when we were 8 points worse off than the season before total. So to end the season only 2 points further away  suggests he improved the same squad of players beyond what Dean looked like he was achieving without Grealish.

But the second half of the 20/21 season was really poor so I’m not sure that’s the comparison you really want to make mate.

2 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

And amid the myriad b****** of the anti-Gerrad sentiment we finally get some sense.

@MrBlack bravo!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, nick76 said:

But the second half of the 20/21 season was really poor so I’m not sure that’s the comparison you really want to make mate.

I still don't believe Dean would have attracted Coutinho or Digne to us. And I don't believe he'd have turned our form around, the squad looked clueless and deflated. This despite Dean almost certainly being the better manager at this stage in their respective careers.

Edited by MrBlack
Typo

Just now, Zhan_Zhuang said:

And amid the myriad b****** of the anti-Gerrad sentiment we finally get some sense.

@MrBlack bravo!

anti-Gerrard?

He literally has the same identical win record that Tim Sherwood has at Villa with better players. Frank Lampard has a better win rate at Everton though in fewer games

Its blind support for the sake of it

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, Zatman said:

anti-Gerrard?

He literally has the same identical win record that Tim Sherwood has at Villa with better players. Frank Lampard has a better win rate at Everton though in fewer games

Its blind support for the sake of it

Nope it's called patience!

• Haha 2

Just now, MrBlack said:

I still don't believe Dean would have attracted Coutinho or Digne to us. And I don't believe he'd have turned our form around, the sqaud looked clueless and deflated. This despite Dean almost certainly being the better manager at this stage in their respective careers.

That might be true but doesnt mean Gerrard is the answer to us going forward

Just now, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Nope it's called patience!

so we should have kept Sherwood then? Since he managed the exact same games as Gerrard with a shitter squad with the exact same win record

Just now, Zatman said:

so we should have kept Sherwood then? Since he managed the exact same games as Gerrard with a shitter squad with the exact same win record

Again I reaffirm, YOU are living in the past!

3 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Again I reaffirm, YOU are living in the past!

So we are not allowed to mention things in the past because they make Gerrard look bad or out of his depth

Its back to being mini North Korea in this thread about the manager......All hail supreme leader Gerrard. we wont talk about your flaws because you are the true leader

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

I still don't believe Dean would have attracted Coutinho or Digne to us. And I don't believe he'd have turned our form around, the sqaud looked clueless and deflated. This despite Dean almost certainly being the better manager at this stage in their respective careers.

That’s only your view about Smith, it makes no difference and we’ll never know.  

The question is, do you think Gerrard turned our form around?  After the initial burst of six games our run rate was very similar to Smith’s so did Gerrard turn it around?

I agree Smith wouldn’t have attracted Digne, Coutinho and I’ll add Kamara.  We know that Gerrard is brilliant at interviews, the media loves him, he’s brilliant at getting quality players in. Nobody has denied that.  

The question or the concern is, can he get the best out of players once he has them?  He didn’t with the players he had last season but can he with some new players and some more time on the training pitch? That’s the million dollar question that we have to wait until next season to see.  We are all hopeful!

Edited by nick76

Just now, Zatman said:

That might be true but doesnt mean Gerrard is the answer to us going forward

Guess we'll find out a few months into this season. 

Using sherwood as an example.... Sherwood got 4 points from 10 games just before he was sacked. Gerrard hasn't been on a run like that yet, and he's not had a pre season with the squad. 

1 minute ago, MrBlack said:

Using sherwood as an example.... Sherwood got 4 points from 10 games just before he was sacked. Gerrard hasn't been on a run like that yet, and he's not had a pre season with the squad. 

Of course but we have a much superior squad than that time not Bacuna, Richardson and Rudy Gestede

4 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

He did have a run of 9 points from 10 games, which included wins over relegated Norwich and Burnley from the West Ham game onwards so not the level of Sherwood but wasn’t a great period.

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

It’s really disappointing to know that if Gerrard fails this thread will be full of smugness and I told you so’s. 

It is equally going to be frustrating for those banking on Gerrard to fail, it will be a hard pill to swallow if SG does well.

I think he is going to do well, I expect us to progress next season.

Â