Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

1 minute ago, macandally said:

Let’s be honest, jury is still out, he is being backed so expectations rightly will be higher next season.

I am intrigued to see whether he will continue with the same system with Critchley on board or whether he will change/tweak it.

Good managers get the best out of what they have, my biggest gripe from last year was his inability to massage his system to suit his squad.

You can’t squeeze a pearl out of a turd no matter how hard you try my friend. 

Gerrard is not here to achieve mid table. He  came to get Europe and beyond and he basically said the squad is not good enough and showed that to the owners very clearly. it’s obvious to me that’s why the owners are backing him. But we have to challenge this notion he’s spending excessively. There is not a single transfer so far that has not been value for money. 

7 minutes ago, macandally said:

Successful managers get the best out of what they have, he did not massage his system to suit his squad

This is how I would of worded your last sentence. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AntrimBlack said:

Not sure we all know this.

Its one of those situations in life, where, when you are sure, you go for it.

If Purslow was unsure, he would have had a raft of applicants to sift through....and as we know, interviews are not an exact science.

I get that, some folk are unsure of SG.......but why challenge Purslow or some fans, who are comfortable with him.

41 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

There were people who thought we should have got Europe with Dean Smith the previous year.

It's going to be really interesting next season when our squad is way stronger, if the knives will be out by October like they were last season for not being in the European places.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Copa America winning goalkeeper, Europa League winning centre back, Champions League winning number 10, think the 4th most expensive player ever. 40 cap French full back and the hottest free agent in European football for a start

Damn why should we have expectations after this spend

Funnily enough the one person not to give Gerrard a free pass is Gerrard himself which makes his defenders look pretty bad

It hadn’t really sunk in but when u put it like that I do have to agree with you. Purslow and Gerrard have done an amazing job at recruitment. It is really taking Villa to the next level

• Like 1

Time will tell with Gerrard but I have a feeling it will work out. There is no doubt the bloke has a winner’s mentality. He’s not stupid and I’m sure he knows what is needed. I think he will be a lot more ruthless than our fans give him credit for.  Last season he didn’t have the players to rotate the squad as much as he would have liked. I don’t think he has any favourites amongst the current squad I just believe he trusted certain players more than others. Next season I think we will see a different Aston Villa. I can see us being far more aggressive and not roll over as easily as we have been. I don’t think we are quite ready for Europe yet but will a few more quality additions we will certainly be in the mix.

Neither Smith nor Gerrard has spent any money on transfers. The club has, or rather the owners have sanctioned it while they have been appointed as head coaches.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

It's quite an interesting change of approach. There's barely anyone in top flight football who does it this way these days.

I think Gerrard is a good leader and Critchley is a good coach, so let's hope it comes together beautifully over the next few years.

It is being vastly overblown for me. We see plenty of pictures/media of Gerard on the training pitch and even taking part in some warm up drills.

People talk like he just sits in an office all day working out which potential new signings house he is going to rock up at, pops in for media duties, and picks the team on the weekend.

10 minutes ago, Anything11 said:

It is being vastly overblown for me. We see plenty of pictures/media of Gerard on the training pitch and even taking part in some warm up drills.

People talk like he just sits in an office all day working out which potential new signings house he is going to rock up at, pops in for media duties, and picks the team on the weekend.

I agree that it’s a bit of a lazy statement. Gerrard is heavily involved in the training sessions and I think the fact that Critchley is a continuity choice in terms of coaching style to Beale proves to me that Gerrard has a clear identity in how he wants us to play. Unless people think he’s not making that decision at all, which sounds like a pretty wild conspiracy theory.

A lot is being made of a couple of statements, one made by the manager years ago when he had far less experience, and that Emi Martinez quote. That’s basically it, we’ve invented an entire coaching structure around it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Anything11 said:

I think he doesn't lead training because he accepts he isn't a top-level coach currently. That's OK, not a criticism. It's sensible if anything.

Watching and assisting he probably gets a better overview of performance than if he was running it anyway.

1 hour ago, Anything11 said:

I think it's very much the approach of a pre-2013 top club. We've updated it a bit to give the manager lots of support but I do think this an Alex Ferguson director of football type position that football has moved away from.

There's positives and negatives. I think I'd need to see more value from Gerrard himself going forward to agree this is the best approach for us.

The transfer policy since he came in absolutely stinks of now now now. So I expect the target for the coming season is top 6.

Edited by Tomaszk
  • Confused 2

13 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

I think he doesn't lead training because he accepts he isn't a top-level coach currently. That's OK, not a criticism. It's sensible if anything.

Watching and assisting he probably gets a better overview of performance than if he was running it anyway.

I think it's very much the approach of a pre-2013 top club. We've updated it a bit to give the manager lots of support but I do think this an Alex Ferguson director of football type position that football has moved away from.

There's positives and negatives. I think I'd need to see more value from Gerrard himself going forward to agree this is the best approach for us.

The transfer policy since he came in absolutely stinks of now now now. So I expect the target for the coming season is top 6.

I can certainly see what you are saying but I don't entirely agree. I think we have become so used to managers being tactical geniuses that we have devalued the other parts of the job.

By all accounts Gerrard knows his weaknesses and rightly hires the appropriate help. However, he still seems very engaged and involved on a day to day basis. Maybe Ferguson is a good shout actually but I don't think the director of football tag fits. They are managers in the truest sense of the word.

Either way I find it quite encouraging that the structure and plan seems quite obvious - something we have been missing for a long time. Really ties the club together from top to bottom.

• Like 1

The reality is very few managers are actually tactical geniuses. Most have a style and stick to it. 

I think it’s very refreshing that Gerrard is clearly so secure in himself that he’s happy to set a vision, surround himself with elite support and to empower them to step up and own different areas.

Thats exactly how you build a successful team outside of football. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, DakotaVilla said:

The reality is very few managers are actually tactical geniuses. Most have a style and stick to it. 

I think it’s very refreshing that Gerrard is clearly so secure in himself that he’s happy to set a vision, surround himself with elite support and to empower them to step up and own different areas.

Thats exactly how you build a successful team outside of football. 

Refreshing? I don’t understand as most do this, not only former managers at this club but at other clubs.  They then get beaten if it isn’t working or lauded if it works.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â