Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

41 minutes ago, YLN said:

Yeah he probably had a look at Gerrard's record of getting 9 points from the last 11 games of the season and thought, yeah he's the manager that will bring my career to the next level.

Or maybe Gerrard told him he'd get him a ten million pound signing on fee,  and that 'changed everything'. 

This narrative of Gerrard being a draw for players is likely nonsense, outside of the Coutinho signing obviously. 

I think Kamara signed because he was impressed with Johan Lange.

17 hours ago, Zatman said:

this is really bizarre. he was always against Smith from the start and since Gerrard came in he is the best manager since Mourinho at Porto

He could be another son of Bruce we dont know :P 

I have never once implied anything of the sort. Stop making stuff again.

I didn’t like Bruce either FWIW.

58 minutes ago, YLN said:

Yeah he probably had a look at Gerrard's record of getting 9 points from the last 11 games of the season and thought, yeah he's the manager that will bring my career to the next level.

Or maybe Gerrard told him he'd get him a ten million pound signing on fee,  and that 'changed everything'. 

This narrative of Gerrard being a draw for players is likely nonsense, outside of the Coutinho signing obviously. 

Romano and the other chap who’s name escapes me both said Gerrard was a big factor when he signed. 

25 minutes ago, Zatman said:

If thats the case then we be fighting off Palace and Everton for players since they have big name ex midfielders as manager 

Palace should be attracting all the best young French players if was the case. 

Its obvious money talks here

Arsenal and Newcastle wanted Kamara, so I'm sure Arsenal, if not defo Newcastle would have got him if it was all about money.

9 minutes ago, jim said:

Romano and the other chap who’s name escapes me both said Gerrard was a big factor when he signed. 

I do believe it was one factor but probably not the biggest. It’s a respectable answer to give in that situation, saying you signed because the money was great doesn’t sound as good.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

If thats the case then we be fighting off Palace and Everton for players since they have big name ex midfielders as manager 

Palace should be attracting all the best young French players if was the case. 

Its obvious money talks here

I share your worries on Gerrard overall but as I said earlier I think it’s additive - Kamara might not have come because of Gerrard but Coutinho came because of Gerrard and Digne apparently came because of Coutinho, and I can see why Kamara would be influenced by the France left back and the most expensive midfielder of all time being here, which theoretically all comes back to Gerrard… financially you have to be there of course. 

• Like 2

Gerrard probably helps in some cases, but it's not as if we wouldn't be able to sign good players if he wasn't our manager. At the end of the day everything comes back to Sawiris and Edens and their money, if it wasn't for them Gerrard wouldn't be our manager in the first place to play his part in helping us attract players.

Just now, useless said:

Gerrard probably helps in some cases, but it's not as if we wouldn't be able to sign good players if he wasn't our manager. At the end of the day everything comes back to Sawiris and Edens and their money, if it wasn't for them Gerrard wouldn't be our manager in the first place to play his part in helping us attract players.

The money the project and the world class powerpoint maestro that is Mr Gerrard. Its a mix of the 3 that gets these deals over the line

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Only Villa fans would argue over what convinced a quality player to join us. Signs are looking so promising and exciting yet I feel we have a slightly divided fan base. It pains me. :(

There's no arguing, it's just debate.

To name 2, we signed a random in Bailey and Buendia with Smith in charge, admittedly Buendia being a good buy, but still a championship player. Gerrard brings in premiership Chamber's and £150 million Coutinho, with Kamara coming in this week. Coincidence, it's hard to argue.

Lampard and Vieira even though top players, for me don't seem to have the profile or personality Gerrard has. Maybe this could be his success with Rangers, I'm not sure.

46 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

There's no arguing, it's just debate.

To name 2, we signed a random in Bailey and Buendia with Smith in charge, admittedly Buendia being a good buy, but still a championship player. Gerrard brings in premiership Chamber's and £150 million Coutinho, with Kamara coming in this week. Coincidence, it's hard to argue.

Lampard and Vieira even though top players, for me don't seem to have the profile or personality Gerrard has. Maybe this could be his success with Rangers, I'm not sure.

Don't underestimate how sought after Buendia and Bailey were, we know for a fact for example that Buendia chose us over Arsenal.

1 hour ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Listening to a European football correspondent today on the radio in respect to Kamara but they spoke at length about Steven Gerrard.

Yes we are biased, blinkered and subjective in this country but in terms of global football Gerrard is a legend in the football world. His influence on getting players in to Villa is massive and not to be scoffed at!

Mate he randomly pops up on a bloody CNN Hyundai World Cup advertisement here every day. He's defo.global. lol

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Mate he randomly pops up on a bloody CNN Hyundai World Cup advertisement here every day. He's defo.global. lol

Yeah, that Hyundai contract is huge and will last for at least a year. I asked a mate in advertising how much someone like SG could make from such a thing, and it sounded like he wouldn’t be depending much on his Villa salary in comparison.

4 hours ago, spiezels said:

This says different, Literally joined because of Gerrard, my point stands. 

Gerrard must have signed loads of superstars at Rangers?

Obviously, yes, he's a bigger pull than Smith.

57 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Gerrard must have signed loads of superstars at Rangers?

Obviously, yes, he's a bigger pull than Smith.

True, Gerrard's way better.

Steven Gerrard to Aston Villa: Rangers boss' wife wanted him to quit Ibrox  a YEAR ago

Edited by foreveryoung
  • Confused 1

15 hours ago, ender4 said:

Someone was saying in a different thread that Gerrard only signs old players, so here's analysis of Gerrards signing's vs the previous window before Gerrard arrived:

Gerrard (outfield players only for fair comparison):

Coutinho - 29

Chambers - 26

Digne - 28

Kamara - 22

Average age - 26 years old  

and the window before Gerrard arrived:

Ings - 29

Buendia - 24

Bailey - 24

Young - 36

Average age - 28 years old. 

So Gerrard is actually opting for younger players! 🙂 

*yes, i know the comparison is flawed in many ways, not serious analysis.

Wait until we sign Stig Inge Bjornebye as back up to Digne and Dominic Matteo to partner Mings at CB.

12 hours ago, useless said:

We wouldn’t have signed coutinho or Kamara if we didn’t have Gerrard. 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â