Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

The problem we clearly have...is he doesn't understand we need width to break sides down. He's going to carry on with this formation where everyone is clumped in the middle of the pitch. It will not work consistently.

I hope he figures it out but I can only see this being 6-24 wasted months of underachieving, before the inevitable sack.

We are going to get better because that's what happens when you spend money. I don't think we'll get the returns the outlay and squad is going to be capable of.

9 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Whose players are these predominantly ? The serial loser and nice guy Dean smiths . If we are still bereft of composure and quality in November then I’d say a year in, questions can be legitimately and rightly  asked of Gerrard. 

You mean our most successful manager in recent memory... 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Whose players are these predominantly ? The serial loser and nice guy Dean smiths . If we are still bereft of composure and quality in November then I’d say a year in, questions can be legitimately and rightly  asked of Gerrard. 

Serial loser. Backing Gerrard doesn't require denigrating our most successful manager in terms of achieving anything tangible since Brian Little. Smith has proved more as a winning coach in England than Gerrard. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Posts like this will keep me going as we underperform over the next few years.

1 minute ago, Villa_Vids said:

Doesn't fit the narrative for those who have an agenda against Gerrard. We were good tonight but Pope was extraordinary. Disappointing the last two games, points wise. but we can still grow and get better. We will.

I’ve been told few weeks on the forum it’s not about points but league position and now we are 14th, it’s now about points.  You can’t make this stuff up!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Condimentalist said:

You mean our most successful manager in recent memory... 

not exactly a stellar bunch he’s up against though is it… But this is the Gerrard thread whom could be worse or could become a legend. Time will tell ! I’m not overly impressed with how things have panned out but equally not really concerned either . 

3 minutes ago, Zatman said:

One of the worst football opinions I have read. 

Serial loser who got us 55 points last season and to a cup final plus a record 10 game win run

What a loser

Why thank you! Well out of 113 games played in the premier league he’s lost 60 … So yeah I’d say he is a serial loser at an elite level. Gerrard may turn out to be worse, or with his own choice and mix of players he may be better. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Mantis said:

I do find it weird how this thread constantly seems to become the Smith thread.

Because people who think Gerrard is a genius keeping bringing Smith into it even though Gerrard has done nothing of note yet

Truth is the guy is a dud appointment 

3 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

The people who keep referring to the impending doom, how quiet VP is, how downbeat they are etc.

Have you ever thought that your mental conditioning and attitude towards the whole appointment might have anything to do with it?

I see this in other facets of life and on social media, people going into meltdown, then people who don't even know what they are going into meltdown about join in and it becomes a movement of core members who are genuine in the cause, and fringe members who aren't even sure what they are upset about, but they know they are upset.

Similarly to how when Trump got elected, the world was going to end, and he was going to start World War 3. It was the end of the world as we know it etc 😂

But the reality is that not one war was started, their economy was the best it had ever been etc etc. However, most people just hated him as a person, to the point where logic no longer mattered.

Now look, I don't actually care what your views are on Trump, but it's just an example of people deciding something, running with it and having to stick to their guns regardless.

It's just one of many examples of the domino effect I see with multiple subjects in modern society.

A number of people have pre determined that everything is shite and we are doomed, repeat it non stop and then wonder why they might have echos if the same sentiment?

You don't speak for a large segment of fans, but keep going and you'll eventually drown the positive fans out, and when you do, what will you have gained?

Will you have helped the cause? Or hurt it? 

Thats rubbish. Is no meltdown 

People think we hired a dud because he had a good football career. Would we hire Mark Noble if he did an ok job at Rangers. We wouldn't 

The management team have shown nothing yet to inspire any confidence 

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

Worse than McLeish?! Behave yourself.

McLeish had the worst injury list in Villa history, he was starting Chris Herd weekly and gave debuts to Weimann, Baker, Carruthers and had a 16 year old Grealish on the bench. Keeping us up was a miracle all tjings considered.

This manager has a lot more tools at his disposal and we are regularly boring to watch 

26 minutes ago, nick76 said:

and 14th, so not even midtable!

Poor season under both managers!

This tbh.

Smith and Gerrard have both been incredibly inconsistent leaning towards poor. I feel both coaches/managers have simply not got the best out of the high quality players they have been given. Both I will credit for helping JJ tho.

14th is a step backwards, Grealish cant be the excuse, he was never prime Messi and has hardly lit the world alight at Man City.  

I really do like both of them but Smith and Gerrard both get a C- from me. Excited for the transfer window and next season though.

3 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Thats rubbish. Is no meltdown 

People think we hired a dud because he had a good football career. Would we hire Mark Noble if he did an ok job at Rangers. We wouldn't 

The management team have shown nothing yet to inspire any confidence 

The table above which shows the League placing since he's been here, seems to suggest that's probably inaccurate.

I mean, as it's fact based and not hyperbole based?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Â