Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

Do you think the board have adjusted their ambitions for the next season from what they've seen from last season and this? Or do you think Gerrard has convinced them that we are not quite there yet to be finishing in a European place?

Edited by Rustibrooks

3 minutes ago, Rustibrooks said:

Do you think the board have adjusted their ambitions for the next season from what they've seen from last season and this? Or do you think Gerrard has convinced them that we are not quite there yet to be finishing in European place?

The latter tbh.

1 minute ago, AV82 said:

The more he talks the more I'm starting to dislike his approach. It just seems to me like he's throwing certain players under the bus and using them to excuse our poor performances. It's even more bizarre when he hasn't even given those players a decent chance, instead favouring others who aren't even playing well themselves. It's worrisome. I really do hope I'm wrong. What happened to tactic, rotation, man management and making the most out of your squad? Chambers, Targett, Sanson, Bailey, Traore -- these aren't poor players by any stretch of the imagination.

In complete agreement.

8 minutes ago, AV82 said:

The more he talks the more I'm starting to dislike his approach. It just seems to me like he's throwing certain players under the bus and using them to excuse our poor performances. It's even more bizarre when he hasn't even given those players a decent chance, instead favouring others who aren't even playing well themselves. It's worrisome. I really do hope I'm wrong. What happened to tactics, rotation, man management and making the most out of your squad? Chambers, Targett, Sanson, Bailey, Traore -- these aren't poor players by any stretch of the imagination and 3 of those are expected to perform at 100% despite hardly featuring for weeks if not months prior.

I agree with parts of this but the rotation part. You can make an argument Gerrard has his favourites, Mcginn being a good example. My take on it is it’s hard to get the right balance between rotation and momentum when you’re in the bottom half facing potential relegation. And in fairness we’ve seen a fair amount of rotation

Edited by IrishVilla10

1 hour ago, Rustibrooks said:

Do you think the board have adjusted their ambitions for the next season from what they've seen from last season and this? Or do you think Gerrard has convinced them that we are not quite there yet to be finishing in a European place?

No I think that's a fair assessment. I don't think the board can demand more. He did say at a minimum top half. 

• Like 3

"I think the spine of the team needs some support. You can never stop working with your players, trying to improve them. But sometimes individual errors are on the individuals. If things don't change you are left with no choice. You either change them with someone else in the building or you upgrade them."

"We have got enough volume here. We have got enough bodies here. I don't need quantity. We are looking to bring in players who are ready to play I am looking for upgrades in certain areas of the team, who will naturally make the squad better."

"Lucas Digne at Barcelona, Philippe Coutinho at Barcelona and Bayern Munich. Robin Olsen, an international player with pedigree. Calum Chambers has been at Arsenal challenging for the top four.

"When you are trying to get players in, it is not just about whether they can play, it is about what else they can bring to the culture. We are not just trying to recruit talent. We are trying to recruit characters, leaders and winners. We are looking for good people."

Steven Gerrard exclusive interview: Aston Villa head coach on first season in charge and the plans for the club's future | Football News | Sky Sports

I agree with him here. We need to change the culture of the club. To bring that winning mentality, higher standards. Players who we we concede first are unfazed and know how to fight back 

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, AV82 said:

The more he talks the more I'm starting to dislike his approach. It just seems to me like he's throwing certain players under the bus and using them to excuse our poor performances. It's even more bizarre when he hasn't even given those players a decent chance, instead favouring others who aren't even playing well themselves. It's worrisome. I really do hope I'm wrong. What happened to tactics, rotation, man management and making the most out of your squad? Chambers, Targett, Sanson, Bailey, Traore -- these aren't poor players by any stretch of the imagination and 3 of those are expected to perform at 100% despite hardly featuring for weeks if not months prior.

Yep Exactly this

Gerrard will have made it abundantly clear in training since he took over his expectations and bottom line is that many players have not lived up to it. 

He’s stuck with the formation that he’s likely to play next season to fully test capability of the playing staff and it’s fairly clear now which of the players dont have a long term future with us. Other players are just not suited to his playing style and will also leave. 

He’s bet big on the summer and assuming he lands his main targets I’m excited for the significant upgrade in playing staff that promises to bring.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, AV82 said:

To me he's speaking honestly. If a player keeps making individual errors that are costing the team what else can he do but replace them? Al the games bar 1 we've lost under Gerrard are by a single goal. The individual errors are costing us. 

Targett is at Newcastle, he can be rotated. Chambers has played plenty of games. Bailey has been injured. Traore is a wide player and is behind 3 others for the 10 position

I don't know what you really expect

• Like 3

"Steven Gerrard: “I think we are further ahead here (at Villa) than we were at Rangers. But it does take time, it takes windows, it’s a patient process. It is not just going to change overnight...” #avfc"

All he **** talks about is transfer windows and buying players. Never coaching players to be better or finding a system that more suits our players and their strengths. He's really starting to get on my tits.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Don_Simon said:

"Steven Gerrard: “I think we are further ahead here (at Villa) than we were at Rangers. But it does take time, it takes windows, it’s a patient process. It is not just going to change overnight...” #avfc"

All he **** talks about is transfer windows and buying players. Never coaching players to be better or finding a system that more suits our players and their strengths. He's really starting to get on my tits.

I agree with this 100%. 

5 minutes ago, Don_Simon said:

Well the window is going to allow him to buy players that suits his system, I think we should be more excited at that prospect then trying to shoe horn some players who possibly aren’t good enough anyways. 

Rangers fans were gutted that he left, and they just had a European cup final, so let’s be honest, the signs are extremely promising for Aston Villa football club if you allow Gerrard to bring in players to suit his preferred system. 

Edited by Tommo_b

So he should just play defensive counter attacking football with average players that he inherited?

The man wants to compete properly and has clearly already made an assessment - after giving them plenty of opportunity to impress - that a lot of this squad is bang average and just not good enough to compete for a European position. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Don_Simon said:

If we've got the resources to bring in better players that fit the system that the manager wants to play, I don't see the problem. I'd rather a manager/management team came in with a farily clear idea about how they want to set up and had players that fit that system than messing about with systems and styles they don't believe in just to try and suit a couple of players that haven't got the ability or can't adapt and can easily be replaced.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â