Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

2 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

and we weren't? otherwise deano would still be here

by the way, everton were 5 places above us when deano got sacked...

Irrelevant to the discussion as Lampard was hired by Everton over two months after Gerrard was by us.

Just now, Tom13 said:

Irrelevant to the discussion as Lampard was hired by Everton over two months after Gerrard was by us.

you said everton's squad was in a right mess though! how is them being well ahead of us when gerrard took over not relivant?

2 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

the interview (i know you're not planning on watching) referred to how the pundits hadn't criticised gerrard yet. neville's response was along the lines of 'bigger fish to fry' than gerrard.

and in any case...maybe the pundits are willing to give them a bit more than a few months before making their minds up.

I do think the pundits have an agenda, you get much different treatment if you are called Steve Bruce or Frank Lampard than if you are called Unai Emery or Louis Van Gaal

I remember Jeff Stelling trying to make an argument for United hiring Tony Pulis over Van Gaal and another time that McLeish did a brilliant job at Villa

1 minute ago, tomav84 said:

you said everton's squad was in a right mess though! how is them being well ahead of us when gerrard took over not relivant?

Because the discussion was about Lampard VS Gerrard. I thought Everton were in a bigger mess when Lampard took over, than we were when Gerrard took over. Unless I'm remembering that wrong?

2 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Because the discussion was about Lampard VS Gerrard. I thought Everton were in a bigger mess when Lampard took over, than we were when Gerrard took over. Unless I'm remembering that wrong?

everton were 16th with 19pts from 20 games when FL took over

were were 16th with 10pts from 11 games when SG took over

so basically identical

• Like 1

Just now, tomav84 said:

everton were 16th with 19pts from 20 games when FL took over

were were 16th with 10pts from 11 games when SG took over

so basically identical

I stand corrected and you have my apology!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, useless said:

Since Gerrard was appointed we've taken more points than, Rodgers, Hasenhüttl, Potter, Viera, and have taken just one less point than Frank and two less than Moyes, all those manager's teams with the exception of Leicester have played at least one more game than us whilst Gerrard has been our manager, West Ham and Brentford two more games.

Since Lampard was appointed we've actually taken the same amount of points as them, albeit again we've played a game less.

I think that shows that overall Gerrard has done a good job, but we're in bad form at the moment and need to arrest it asap.

We’ve never got more points than Leicester since Gerrard started - surely?!

FWIW, I don’t think he’s done a good job. He’s done alright, but we really should be doing better. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bobzy said:

We’ve never got more points than Leicester since Gerrard started - surely?!

FWIW, I don’t think he’s done a good job. He’s done alright, but we really should be doing better. 

we have one point more than Leicester in that time, they had a poor time just after Christmas

We've lost four games in a row, so of course we should be doing better over the last few games, that's pretty much stating the obvious, but I'm not sure how much we should be expecting to do overall, since he came in only the top six, and then Wolves and Newcastle have been significantly better than us, both of whom have shown unbelievable form, only Liverpool have taken more points than Newcastle since January, and Wolves having their best season since promotion.

He wasn't expected to come in and show top eight form, would have been nice, but not something that he 'should' be showing, as our squad is midtable at best, which is exactly the form we've been in with Gerrard as manager, the expectation to finish top seven or whatever will come next season when he's had a pre season and been allowed to sign some players of his own.

1 minute ago, useless said:

We've lost four games in a row, so of course we should be doing better over the last few games, that's pretty much stating the obvious, but I'm not sure how much we should be expecting to do overall, since he came in only the top six, and then Wolves and Newcastle have been significantly better than us, both of whom have shown unbelievable form, only Liverpool have taken more points than Newcastle since January, and Wolves having their best season since promotion.

He wasn't expected to come in and show top eight form, would have been nice, but not something that he 'should' be showing, as our squad is midtable at best, which is exactly the form we've been in with Gerrard as manager, the expectation to finish top seven or whatever will come next season when he's had a pre season and been allowed to sign some players of his own.

He was 11th in the last table since he came in. How have we improved in a few hours

36 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

the interview (i know you're not planning on watching) referred to how the pundits hadn't criticised gerrard yet. neville's response was along the lines of 'bigger fish to fry' than gerrard.

and in any case...maybe the pundits are willing to give them a bit more than a few months before making their minds up.

Lampard was starting to feel the heat in the media recently being described as spoiled, inexperienced, self centered, can’t deal with adversity and so on. But now Everton has taken a couple of points so he’s off the hook for the time being.

Gerrard will likely be lambasted by the media as well unless Villa’s form picks up soon. In the build em up/knock em down narrative, England’s golden boys will be tempting targets.

Was listening to the 1874 podcast, and Bardell and Holly made a good point.

They've said that they are wondering if, there might also be a slight disconnect with some fans, because there haven't been enough in depth interviews with new members of the squad and so on. Similar to the cringe worthy " Drive Time " features we used to have.

So the obvious aside, Deano going, Jack going, some familiar players going, and some people not favouring SG, obviously.

People don't really know who some of the players or as lads, nor have seen enough of them to develop any sort of relationship with them.

Could be nothing, but I thought it was interesting.

• Like 2

I said only the top six and Wolves and Newcastle have been significantly better than us since he arrived, which is true, West Ham and Brentford have taken three more and one more point than us, but both have played two more games, so I wouldn't call that significantly better.

• Like 2

If we take another ten points from the final seven games that will mean that Gerrard will have taken as many points from his twenty-seven games in charge this season as we took in our final twenty-games last season, and that's coming in part way through the season into a struggling team, with Bailey and Traore out for months, and no Grealish. I suspect we will actually take more than ten points from the final ten games.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, useless said:

If we take another ten points from the final seven games that will mean that Gerrard will have taken as many points from his twenty-seven games in charge this season as we took in our final twenty-games last season, and that's coming in part way through the season into a struggling team, with Bailey and Traore out for months, and no Grealish. I suspect we will actually take more than ten points from the final ten games.

We have only 7 games left not 10. It would be poor if we didnt take at least 10 points 

11 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Was listening to the 1874 podcast, and Bardell and Holly made a good point.

They've said that they are wondering if, there might also be a slight disconnect with some fans, because there haven't been enough in depth interviews with new members of the squad and so on. Similar to the cringe worthy " Drive Time " features we used to have.

So the obvious aside, Deano going, Jack going, some familiar players going, and some people not favouring SG, obviously.

People don't really know who some of the players or as lads, nor have seen enough of them to develop any sort of relationship with them.

Could be nothing, but I thought it was interesting.

I think this is pretty true to be fair. I remember the days where John Carew made us all feel like we were his best mate haha I miss that guy. 

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â