Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

1 minute ago, Xela said:

No evidence to support that at all. 

Since Gerrard took over, we are 11th in the league table since that point. Not wonderful, but not relegation candidates by any means. 

I agree, but even if there was evidence to support it or more importantly, if it actually happened. There is plenty of time for NSWE / CP to get SG to change strategy or they could decide to replace SG. I am not sure of the timings of next season with the winter WC in Qatar but it if was a normal season then the Oct International break is a good time to change manager if things are going pear shaped. It is not an ideal scenario but the point I am making is that the decision about next season and whether SG is working out or not does not need to be nor should be made until next season

• Like 1

5 hours ago, hippo said:

Sure yeah fans can come here shout Gerarrd out - crack one off, fall asleep take a dump - life goes on.

The owners of the club have to take a lot more measured approach. What Is really don't get is why they went for a guy who one day wasn't overly popular with the fans ?

It's not as if Gerrard is going to fall in love with Aston villa and be here for the next 10 years...

The whole thing has got an uneasy feel about it 

Well…. He might….

7 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

This is probably what is happening exactly. But imo, it’s not sustainable unless you are Man City or maybe Liverpool and can attract any player you want. And you must be able to economically handle buying expensive players and selling them at a loss.

Other clubs will probably have to at least partly make do with what they have. If you don’t have all the players needed for system A, then at least tweak it. Michael Owen had a clip where he talked enthusiastically about ”weeding players out”, that’s not possible for most clubs.

Also, players are usually able to adapt. Conte’s teams often end up playing much the same way wherever he goes, even before he’s made that many signings.

I can't imagine that CP or NSWE have misjudged the financial implications of such a strategy and I expect the financials have been extensively peer reviewed. CP and NSWE are not the type of people that would tolerate surprises and I would say they are rarely presented with them in business.

Edited by Peter Griffin
Fixed a typo
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Peter Griffin said:

I can't imagine that CP or NSWE have misjudged the financial implications of such a strategy and I expect the financials have been extensively peer reviewed. CP and NSWE are not the type of people that would tolerate surprises and I would say they are rarely presented with them in business.

I don’t think they’re stupid either. If reliance on a certain system led to an unreasonable player turnover the board would surely stop it.

9 hours ago, Peter Griffin said:

We all laugh at Watford for sacking managers too quickly and not giving them a chance to prove their worth and work with the team. SG has only had 20 games with Villa. 20 games is naff all. I don't know if SG will turn out to be the right manager or not but it would be insanity to sack him without giving him time to prove himself unless we are under threat of relegation. 

If Burnley take six points off us we are right in the mix. Then what do we do? Sack him with two or three games left?

He's not even that bad Gerrard. I don't think I'll get over giving up this huge chance to kick on though.

Embarrassing to make managerial appointments based off someone's playing career.

10 hours ago, hippo said:

Sure yeah fans can come here shout Gerarrd out - crack one off, fall asleep take a dump - life goes on.

The owners of the club have to take a lot more measured approach. What Is really don't get is why they went for a guy who one day wasn't overly popular with the fans ?

It's not as if Gerrard is going to fall in love with Aston villa and be here for the next 10 years...

The whole thing has got an uneasy feel about it 

Managers don't have to fall in love with us to do a good job......thats what fans do Hippo.....Managers and players its their work.

Do Tesco workers have to fall in love with Tesco, to do a good job?

6 hours ago, TRO said:

Managers don't have to fall in love with us to do a good job......thats what fans do Hippo.....Managers and players its their work.

Do Tesco workers have to fall in love with Tesco, to do a good job?

The point I was making is that there was little point gambling on a young manger with potential who may gain experience and get better in due course. Given that 3 years is the above  average lifespan for a PL manager .

He could do with a win against Leicester - football is a funny thing and on any given day, just about anything could happen, we could beat City on the last day, but we could lose to Norwich on the 30th, both are possible.

A defeat against Leicester and that Norwich game on the back of five losses could be really difficult for him - go behind and the crowd will turn.

Welcome to football at the sharp end Mr Gerrard - beat Leicester please.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Tommo_b said:

Absolutely not.

Whilst I’m not anti pineapple it wouldn’t be my choice on pizza. However having lived in northern Italy, near Turin, for 18 months a fair few years ago, I’m of the opinion that chicken on pizza is a big no. Although it must be said that Italy is a very regionalised country so maybe that’s just in Piedmont?

I had a chat with Ian Rush in a bar in Turin, but he didn’t offer an opinion on consumption of pizza or it’s toppings. He did say that he hated Italian food though. In fact he wasn’t keen on anything about Italy. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

He could do with a win against Leicester - football is a funny thing and on any given day, just about anything could happen, we could beat City on the last day, but we could lose to Norwich on the 30th, both are possible.

A defeat against Leicester and that Norwich game on the back of five losses could be really difficult for him - go behind and the crowd will turn.

That Norwich game could be nasty if we lose to Leicester. The stadium will be giving Smith a great reception and if they go 1 up I think people could turn very quickly 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Good teams and managers simply don't lose 5 games in a row, more often than not it loses you a job.

Whether youre a Gerrard man or not, losing 5 in a row really doesn't leave much to support whatever side of the fence you're on.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

Good teams and managers simply don't lose 5 games in a row, more often than not it loses you a job.

Whether youre a Gerrard man or not, losing 5 in a row really doesn't leave much to support whatever side of the fence you're on.

It may also suggest a reversion to the mean for when Smith was sacked and essentially the main problem is the squad of players we have, rather than whoever is the head coach is.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

If Burnley take six points off us we are right in the mix. Then what do we do? Sack him with two or three games left?

He's not even that bad Gerrard. I don't think I'll get over giving up this huge chance to kick on though.

Embarrassing to make managerial appointments based off someone's playing career.

But it wasn’t just about Gerrard - it was his coaching team - which Smith lost in pre-season. The board wanted something different which is understandable but it also means a fundamental restructuring of philosophies and ideas. Nothing the board does is evidenced that they aren’t serious and ruthless when needed. Who realistically was taking the job? We were in a dire mess. It’s still a major transition period for the club. Covid, the farce of pre-season, injuries and management changes were going to hamper the integration of new players and staff. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

But it wasn’t just about Gerrard - it was his coaching team - which Smith lost in pre-season. The board wanted something different which is understandable but it also means a fundamental restructuring of philosophies and ideas. Nothing the board does is evidenced that they aren’t serious and ruthless when needed. Who realistically was taking the job? We were in a dire mess. It’s still a major transition period for the club. Covid, the farce of pre-season, injuries and management changes were going to hamper the integration of new players and staff. 

Villa would have been attractive to a lot of managers, it beats most other job options. The Premier League is the most attractive league to work in currently because this is where the money is. Relatively big and well-supported club which is also debt free and well run. Owners very wealthy plus ambitious and willing to spend. Squad is decent and owners want to improve it.

We had a poor start to the season and there was plenty of time for a new manager to change things. The idea that Villa were in a such a mess no one would realistically take the job is absurd to me.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, AVFCDAN said:

Yeah - but Nkamba has been injured.

4 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

Villa would have been attractive to a lot of managers, it beats most other job options. The Premier League is the most attractive league to work in currently because this is where the money is. Relatively big and well-supported club which is also debt free and well run. Owners very wealthy plus ambitious and willing to spend. Squad is decent and owners want to improve it.

We had a poor start to the season and there was plenty of time for a new manager to change things. The idea that Villa were in a such a mess no one would realistically take the job is absurd to me.

agree we werent a mess, the infrastructure is there but its hard to tell isn't it, we can guess at who would have dropped their CV on purslows desk but ultimately we'll never know

potter already has a PL job, favre still doesn't have any job cant even remember who was linked with us after that, no one was solid it was all guess work

i do think marsch at leeds is a good comparison though, nothing wrong with assuming that if he went for that job that he went for ours too and we didn't want him, so if leeds are better than us next year that's definitely a here's what you could have won (but there's no indication that they will from what I've seen)

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â