Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

30 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

I am not so sure we will find that out too soon. So far SG has shown he can have a great run of results and a bad run of results. He has also shown us that he can play lovely football and that he can play fairly poor football. Sometime subs are good and sometime subs are bad. SG has done alright as manager, nothing more nothing less. But SG has something about him, he is a winner and he knows the game inside out. When we appointed SG, many people didn't want him due to his lack of experience at the top level. This was a very valid concern but CP appointed him due to his other attributes. SG is still a novice at PL management. I think he has only managed 20 games in total. He is still learning and he will likely improve. I think we need to give SG a couple of years as our manager to see the true manager that SG is, be that a good one or a bad one. As long as we are doing reasonably well and have no threat of relegation I hope CP gives him the time to make some mistakes and learn PL management and get comfortable in the job. We may then see a really good manager. If we don't then I would hope we would be in a better position than when he joined us

Hold on 

If Stevie G turns out not to be good manager - you expect us to be in better overall position than when he joined us ?

Go figure.

11 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Let's hope this additional week, uninterrupted ( No Internationals etc ) and the squad actually being together .

Will be beneficial for us in terms of sorting ourselves out and getting lads back to full fitness etc 

Back to full fitness ? 

Who was unfit ?

1 minute ago, hippo said:

Hold on 

If Stevie G turns out not to be good manager - you expect us to be in better overall position than when he joined us ?

Go figure.

Not that difficult to  Go Figure!

Lange is in his job a year now and will have his scouting network working better, we look to have consolidated as a PL team so potentially more investment from NSWE as the risk is less. SG knows football and it is fair to assume he will know a good player. So the future of the first time looks reasonably sound and I would expect it to improve over the coming seasons. That is regardless of whether SG has the ability to man mange / make the correct subs / pick the right team / motivate the players etc. They are different skills, that is why I believe we will be in a better place

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

Not that difficult to  Go Figure!

Lange is in his job a year now and will have his scouting network working better, we look to have consolidated as a PL team so potentially more investment from NSWE as the risk is less. SG knows football and it is fair to assume he will know a good player. So the future of the first time looks reasonably sound and I would expect it to improve over the coming seasons. That is regardless of whether SG has the ability to man mange / make the correct subs / pick the right team / motivate the players etc. They are different skills, that is why I believe we will be in a better place

Right gotcha so we would be as a club in better place in spite of SG - rather than because of him.

5 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Nakamba and so on?

Plus difference between " fit " and " match fit " no?

Basically, opportunity to get people more minutes, work on systems and whatever.

Fair one.

But let's not forget the results after the winter break & Stevie Gs mini pre season

3 minutes ago, hippo said:

Right gotcha so we would be as a club in better place in spite of SG - rather than because of him.

Our discussion was not about whether SG is the right manager or not. It was about the setup of youth development and the linking this to the first team. If you just just want to have a SG bashing debate then be upfront about it and I could have saved my time and energy engaging. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TRO said:

To be honest, I haven't heard him blaming the players with any regularity, to warrant reporting that he does.

In places where defending is required, possibly no....Brighton have a better defensive record than us,despite us getting the double over them...but we score more goals than them, so its hard to say, collectively we are better or worse...better at somethings ,worse at others.

We are already linked with Brightons CDM, so, its possible the club think he is better than what we have......Not much between us and Brentford, maybe certain individuals out flank on both sides.....we just pay more than them for our players, than them.

They have a far better manager and their wage bill is probably less than half of ours.

They will spend less than half us this summer and sign better players.

Ploughing on with the wrong manager is digging us deeper into a hole.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, meregreen said:

He’s been here five minutes. Hasn’t had a close season to deal in the transfer market, and is basically working with his predecessors team. Christ, give the guy a chance. I think he’s a winner.

New managers can bring in a few players in many scenarios. They shouldn't have to spend £200m for the team to not look shit.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, meregreen said:

Hasn’t had a close season to deal in the transfer market, and is basically working with his predecessors team.

But he's not the DoF is he, he's the coach. He doesn't choose all the players and dictate playing staff, he has an influence but not control there.

Clearly the coaching and maximising performance from players isn't going so well. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sam-AVFC said:

I've always found this a weird cliché. Teams perform above or below their relative abilities every season.

Indeed. That's the point of getting a good coach in to get more than the sum of your parts. 

See Rogers at Swansea, Moyes at Ham, Frank at Brentford, Potter at Brighton, Smith here last season, Klopp at Pool (winning the title), Vieira at Palace, Poch, Fergie, Wenger and Mourinho at times. Some of these examples don't do masses of their own recruitment and picking players they work within club systems... Especially true in cases of Swansea, Brentford, Saints, Spurs and Brighton.

You don't want a coach who's only as good as the cheque book behind him and unable to work without 'his' players. Its also terrible planning to get in a bunch of players so personally tied to the manager (i.e. Their interest resides on the coach not the club) - as managers are easy come, easy go... The club need to be driving personnel decisions in consultation with the coach not the other way around. There lies the ashes of Martin O'Neil. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Peter Griffin said:

Our discussion was not about whether SG is the right manager or not. It was about the setup of youth development and the linking this to the first team. If you just just want to have a SG bashing debate then be upfront about it and I could have saved my time and energy engaging. 

Got ya.

My point is I don't believe Lange and the youth set up will continue to have the autonomy that they had before SG arrived.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if Lange moved on tbh. 

I would expect there to be some changes on the youth & U23 coaching personnel as well.

Stevie G is much a manager than DS - the latter more than happy to spend most of his job role on the training pitch. SG imo wants and will get a much wider and powerful remit.

• Confused 2

2 minutes ago, hippo said:

Stevie G is much a manager than DS - the latter more than happy to spend most of his job role on the training pitch. SG imo wants and will get a much wider and powerful remit.

Which would be insane given that Conte hasn't been given that at Spurs and he's a world class coach a step above the club. 

I don't think the club will be naive enough to give him everything he wants. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, hippo said:

Got ya.

My point is I don't believe Lange and the youth set up will continue to have the autonomy that they had before SG arrived.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if Lange moved on tbh. 

I would expect there to be some changes on the youth & U23 coaching personnel as well.

Replace the name Stevie G with Pep or Klopp and is that a bad thing? Purslow has to put the correct process in place and get the right people in place. He should not compromise on that. If and when he feels SG or Lange are the wrong people he must sack them. But he should not make weak decisions to accommodate weak staff

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

I think we need to upgrade a number of players.

It’s been obvious for a while that we have a collective who lose concentration easily, lose confidence easily, and struggle to adapt to changes in game. 

Once we sort these issues (which have been there for a long time) I feel SG will be a success.

• Like 3

SG certainly needs to improve the defensive spine. There is talk now that we do not want to sign Coutinho or pay Barcelona the 33 million pound fee, so maybe Gerrard feels he can improve in the team to make us a more well rounded unit with the additional money. 

Edited by Villa_Vids

Â