Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

1 hour ago, Laughable Chimp said:

I don't know if Gerrard's the answer, I just think some of the criticism he's getting is incredibly blown out of proportion. Aren't we still top 10 in the league in points ever since Gerrard came in? That's pretty much exactly where I expected us to finish at the start of the season. You listen to some people talk about him in here, you'd think we're battling relegation right now.

I think that's the problem, we are not fighting relegation which is a big plus, but we also have no chance of getting much further up the table (we might bounce a few places up or down).

So all that is left is to try and consolidate a mid table finish, knowing that we can only beat teams below us. 

To me results are important but at this stage I'd take some fighting performances that shows a bit of progression and consistency, just so we can get a flavour that there is better to come.

At the moment I don't see any signs of progression that gives me optimism, all I see is an unbalanced team each week with no players performing well or putting in a shift.

Criticising players and bombing them out never works and it feels like Gerrard is going that route.

Edited by VillanousOne
  • Like 3

21 hours ago, blandy said:

It's different, isn't it - between who (some) fans think is or isn't "good enough" and who the manager thinks is or isn't, and then who we can afford, who wants to go and who wants to stay and get paid instead of moving on...?

So when Gerrard (and Deano before him) keep picking a player who (some) fans think isn't good enough or can't do x, y, or z we get all irate, based on having a different opinion (and less knowledge). For me it's another one of those where you just have to factor in that the manager, in this case Gerrard, will do things we like or don't and basically suck it up or walk away.

That's been the scenario from the year dot.

most customers, know less about the companies they buy from, than the staff, who sell to them.....but they know what standard of product or service they want to receive....and those same staff, are not in a position to tell them they're wrong.

I do get your point though.....put up or walk away.....The problem then is forums, like this would be different places.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, VillanousOne said:

I think that's the problem, we are not fighting relegation which is a big plus, but we also have no chance of getting much further up the table (we might bounce a few places up or down).

So all that is left is to try and consolidate a mid table finish, knowing that we can only beat teams below us. 

To me results are important but at this stage I'd take some fighting performances that shows a bit of progression and consistency, just so we can get a flavour that there is better to come.

At the moment I don't see any signs of progression that gives me optimism, all I see is an unbalanced team each week with no players performing well or putting in a shift.

Criticising players and bombing them out never works and it feels like Gerrard is going that route.

I have seen him give them huge praise too, and that hasn't seem to work, either.

I see a complete contrast between the 3 winning games, Brighton,Southampton and Leeds and the last 3 defeats West Ham, Arsenal and Wolves.

Other than the imbalance in the side, I don't know what has created such a huge void in confidence......However, I do accept, the imbalance going unchecked, spreads to other aspects of the team....and then it becomes a conundrum, that few can fathom.

I think the collective criticism had to come....he hasn't singled out anyone, but even Doris the tea lady can see things wrong during games.....He can't just come out and deny it, thats a whole lot worse and smacks of condoning it.

I think, he thinks, he has tried the arm around the shoulder method and it has lasted 5 minutes, so you can see the other side of me, now...... I think thats fair do's.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, hippo said:

That s only half the story though.

With Digne and maybe Joe Gomez incoming is Stevie just shuffling the pack without any real purpose.

We don't know yet - but keep any eye on the club's wanting our players deemed not worthy of Steven Gerrard's Aston Villa.

I don’t think we can judge his transfers until after the summer window. There was a lot of noise about Hickey at LB which would have completely changed the older players on huge wages narrative. One January window isn’t enough to judge

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

We've been linked with Tielemans. Another non starter I would say.

It seems that Tielemans want Champions League football.

5 minutes ago, useless said:

I was silently speculating to myself a couple of days ago, but without formulating the sentence, just a vague idea that drifted across my consciousness, that we might try for Madueke.

Is that the same as thinking ??

• Haha 2

31 minutes ago, gurru991 said:

They just showed Gerrard in the stands at the Leicester - PSV match. I wonder who he's looking at.

i would guess its due to the fact we play them on the 23rd April.....

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

Don’t they all.

In all reality Gerrard just watching the opposition in advance of us playing them.

I agree .. I was just having some fun

• Like 1

Jury still out, this squad is capable but the results are still massively inconsistent.  He also doesn't use the squad enough, how many times have we done well on a Saturday and then been beaten easily on a Wednesday.

Then all of a sudden, he plays Bailey and Sanson out of nowhere.  Quite bizarre

• Like 1

11 hours ago, The_Steve said:

Every club has dips in form. Viera is flavour of the month, we beat them comfortably but that’s quickly forgotten. By what metric do we judge improvements on the pitch beyond results. The players also have to take responsibility also, Gerrard has also spoke very, very highly of many in the squad and in our academy. I’d recommend you listen to his press conferences in full, not just sound bites. The club is in need of a change and hopefully it will happen and we can turn around these poor performances. 

I do listen to most press conferences in full, he strikes me as a bit of a dickhead in all honesty. He's exactly the kind of person we want on the pitch with his winding up of opposition fans, snarky comments and you can see why he was such a good Captain at Liverpool and also why people in the England dressing room would move tables when he sat down for breakfast. 

I think it's probably just a personality clash. But he's Villa manager and not someone I want to be mates with. My concern is that it effects how we're perceived as a club. I'll stomach being renamed Gerrard's Villa in the press when we're on good runs and the squad is playing well, but it's easy to turn on that when the performances and results both take a turn. One or the other will do. 

Edited by skarroki
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, IrishVilla10 said:

I don’t think we can judge his transfers until after the summer window. There was a lot of noise about Hickey at LB which would have completely changed the older players on huge wages narrative. One January window isn’t enough to judge

Hickey would have been the left back we needed and kept Targett and him in the squad

Now we have Digne and no back up left back 

Hickey has a much higher ceiling too

4 hours ago, macandally said:

Jury still out, this squad is capable but the results are still massively inconsistent.  He also doesn't use the squad enough, how many times have we done well on a Saturday and then been beaten easily on a Wednesday.

Then all of a sudden, he plays Bailey and Sanson out of nowhere.  Quite bizarre

Maybe I am wrong but except Coutinho vs United has his subs ever changed a game. Maybe Anwar vs Brighton 

Thats it, usually reactive subs

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â