Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Is it not the opposite though. He wants to win now while saddling us with ridiculous wages and contracts which is what most Gerrard critics actually fear will happen

We remember the MON days, we look at the Everton mess. If we were playing well you could argue we can accept it but the football is mainly crap and uninspiring

Yeah, nobody wants that, what I'm saying is that there is less than no motivation to do anything else. Why would you develop youth talent that the next manager or manager after that is going to benefit from. It would not be SGs priority and I don't blame him. If we're impatient as fans and as a club ever will it be thus.

2 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Let's hope so.

I know Lange wasn't leading the charge for Digne or Coutinho.

Explain that please.

1 minute ago, MellbergsBeard said:

Not now but we will in 2/3 years.

I think Coutinho is important to use as a lure. Digne was a fluke who we wouldn't have been able to sign a week later. It's names like Suarez that make my stomach uneasy. Unless the deal is cut rate, an expensive and declining Suarez would stymie Ollie/Ings and Archer. 

16 minutes ago, maqroll said:

I think Coutinho is important to use as a lure. Digne was a fluke who we wouldn't have been able to sign a week later. It's names like Suarez that make my stomach uneasy. Unless the deal is cut rate, an expensive and declining Suarez would stymie Ollie/Ings and Archer. 

Also that'd signal to me that Gerrard has little interest in players being of good character, something we know Dean put a lot of store in. 

• Like 3

Without going off topic or old ground. Since Gerrard shouöd be judged after a pre season and 50 games. 

If Lampard was on current form our manager would that be acceptable as well 

Our form has been much better than Everton's since Lampard was appointed, we've taken eight more points than them over twelve games which over a season would average out to twenty plus more points than them. So I'm not sure why comparison's are being between what Lampard is doing at Everton and what Gerrard is doing with us, just seems a lazy comparison to me because they both happen to be ex England midfielders from the same generation.

If we were to lose every game or even most games between now and the end of the season he'd probably lose his job, and I think it's naive to think otherwise, Edens and Sawiris call the shots, but there's nothing to suggest that we will have such a disastrous end to the season, so far wichever way you try to spin it we've shown top half form with G in charge. Next season is when he will come under pressure and be expected to show more than just midtable form.

14 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

I have heard that one before. 

If we don't sign the right players, every window, you will....until we get it right.

23 minutes ago, useless said:

If we were to lose every game or even most games between now and the end of the season he'd probably lose his job, and I think it's naive to think otherwise, Edens and Sawiris call the shots, but there's nothing to suggest that we will have such a disastrous end to the season, so far wichever way you try to spin it we've shown top half form with G in charge. Next season is when he will come under pressure and be expected to show more than just midtable form.

But then the same problem exists.....an unbalanced squad.

A new manager, will not convert an offensive player in to a defensive one.....well its a tall order, put it that way......wide players maybe, but not central ones.

Mid table form will continue, ( if we are lucky) while the team is incomplete.

9 minutes ago, skarroki said:

For me, commenting on players being replaced is the latest in a line of comments that he's publicly made that don't sit well with me. 

I'm afraid that Dean Smith was my favourite manager we've had at the club in my lifetime, I've only been watching since the DOL years. To go from him, to Gerrard, is a sharp turn that I still haven't adjusted to.

Our Dan Bardell said on a podcast this morning about Vieira that it's the sign of a good manager when they improve and get the best out of players already in the club. For me, the only player that's improved is Ramsey and other than that, if anything, some players have gone backwards. 

I think Matty Cash is better....I think JJ is better

I saw that game through 90 minutes..... Palace v Arsenal and I was impressed by their spirit, willingness to work, I think Viera has done fabulous, but Roy left a durable/robust team, if not flamboyant....they had a good base to work from and Viera has worked well with it.....Gallagher too, is infectious and his effervescence is enough to rub off.

but I thought all that about Villa v Southampton... we were fabulous......replicating it seems to elude us.

• Like 1

SG doesn't need to be a manager that can get a tune out of an unbalanced squad. He will have the opportunity this summer to pick his side no expense spared, and with the money he is on there will be no excuses if this new side of his do not hit the ground running. I can see why we're all a bit nervous, it's all a bit shit or bust. 

28 minutes ago, skarroki said:

For me, commenting on players being replaced is the latest in a line of comments that he's publicly made that don't sit well with me. 

I agree with this. 

Ultimately, what matters is results on the pitch, but the more I hear him speak, especially when things aren't going well, the less I like him. Come match day he and the team obviously get my support and I hope he shoves my opinion down my throat with a much improved team next season, but his personality is not helping him out in my eyes.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, skarroki said:

I'm afraid that Dean Smith was my favourite manager we've had at the club in my lifetime, I've only been watching since the DOL years. To go from him, to Gerrard, is a sharp turn that I still haven't adjusted to.

Our Dan Bardell said on a podcast this morning about Vieira that it's the sign of a good manager when they improve and get the best out of players already in the club. For me, the only player that's improved is Ramsey and other than that, if anything, some players have gone backwards. 

I would add Cash to that list of improved players.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, skarroki said:

Don't be afraid. Smith will go down as a very good Villa manager. How many managers at Villa have left the club in  a better position than when they took the job on? Not many.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

I agree with this. 

Ultimately, what matters is results on the pitch, but the more I hear him speak, especially when things aren't going well, the less I like him. Come match day he and the team obviously get my support and I hope he shoves my opinion down my throat with a much improved team next season, but his personality is not helping him out in my eyes.

I can't think of many managers, where they are engaging, even after Defeats.....Sean Dyche maybe or Roberto Martinez.

but I'm not sure, I want a manager who is eloquent after a defeat.

If you have many defeats ,any after match interview can sound repetitive, as our receptors are not exactly engaged,....like who wants to listen to it?

1 hour ago, skarroki said:

As Simon Jordan said he didn't name names, so he is entitled to call out a collective performance as it was.

They're his checks and he has to cash them, so a bit of honesty, away from complete flanneling in the past, is welcome for me.....at least it tells me, he see's what we see.....that has not always been the case in tha past.

I think Dean did say once, "that wasn't the instructions I gave them" or words to that effect.

2 hours ago, skarroki said:

Have you considered the KEY differences in Gerrard's, and Vieras tenures 🤔

Also, we beat Crystal Palace comfortably, so does this mean SG has done a better job than Veira? ( Obviously not, but if I try to feed into narrative spins then why not? )

In the same podcast you're referencing, Bardell also said " Now it's two Managers, so you've got to start to look at the players ". How comes that wasn't referenced here?

Nakamba wasn't improved? Cash hasn't improved? McGinn was outstanding in his first couple of games under SG, as was the defense.

Also as you noted, Ramsey has Improved, so I'm trying to think of which players have " gone backwards if anything " who were performing well before he came in. If anything, some players have reverted to type.

This also insinuates that those players were doing well before he came in. If they were, he wouldn't have been here in the first place.

Anyway it's another circular.

I think alot of these posts are summed up by your first sentence though, about Dean Smith being your favourite Manager.

I think this is the major gripe most people subconsciously have, and only overwhelming and quick success will offsett that.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 3

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â