Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

58 minutes ago, duke313 said:

What makes you think these managers would have joined us?  It's pointless throwing about hypothetical names of managers who were available at the time.

I don't think Smith or Gerrard have what it takes to get us to the higher Echelons of the PL.

One way or another we have to attract a higher calibre of manager - that really is the next step. Not easy - but it is pointless talking top six and champions league with a lightweight head coach  (thats not in particular a dig at Stevie G - but we need some further along the learning curve to push on) 

2 hours ago, The_Steve said:

Some blind hatred is because he’s Gerrard and not ‘one of our own’ Dean Smith.

Fantasy.

2 hours ago, The_Steve said:

Both have big flaws, and Gerrard deserves time like Smith to turn it around. 

Why? What evidence is there he's the man to let spend £200m?

1 hour ago, HKP90 said:

Sack the manager without having a summer window to actually build a team and develop a playing philosophy? What a load of nonsense short termism. 

This is how we got relegated with Tim Sherwood.

You don't just stick no matter what...you may have got it wrong. 

• Like 2

I suppose, those of us with concerns looks at the results since he came in and can see a clear new manager bounce, then generally not good enough. 

Add to that what I'm seeing with my eyes in terms of set up and the way teams can counter us, as well as ponderous build up... 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Fantasy.

If we have a truly abysmal end to the season and SG gets sacked, then Purslow would get the boot too I reckon. Then it's another backroom overhaul and another season down the drain.

2 minutes ago, Dale said:

I suppose, those of us with concerns looks at the results since he came in and can see a clear new manager bounce, then generally not good enough. 

Add to that what I'm seeing with my eyes in terms of set up and the way teams can counter us, as well as ponderous build up... 

He's learning on the job.

If we had no money and few prospects I wouldn't be half as against pressing on with this experiment.

We could get so many managers not learning on the job.

13 minutes ago, hippo said:

Countinho + Digne is hardly making do !  - thats close on £70M worth of talent. 

Yeah, and 2 good signings that were available during the winter window - doesn't address the rest of the shortcomings. So yeah, I would still say making do for the moment

1 minute ago, duke313 said:

If we have a truly abysmal end to the season and SG gets sacked, then Purslow would get the boot too I reckon. Then it's another backroom overhaul and another season down the drain.

We could lose every game and he won't get sacked.

This is the issue going forward as well. Purslow won't sack his hero.

Hardly a healthy setup.

• Like 1

Just now, Tomaszk said:

We could lose every game and he won't get sacked.

This is the issue going forward as well. Purslow won't sack his hero.

Hardly a healthy setup.

This is another thing I would probably be willing to give Gerrard more time if Purslow was gone. With the 2 of them running the asylum it isnt a great look 

On 03/04/2022 at 20:25, Tom13 said:

Assuming you mean January as well as the summer, who are you referring to? Digne is 28, fine age. Coutinho and Ings the eldest, and Coutinho is only on loan but is surely a special exception anyway? Ings I was never sure about and even less so now as we're not even giving the guy a chance. But Buendia and Bailey are obviously plenty young enough.

I was referring to those you mentioned, 28 is indeed a good age, for the here and now. 

Should we sign Coutinho, that'll be upwards upwards of £100m invested into the here and now, with little to no re-sale value. (Not to forget the inflated wages)

Buendia and bailey are plenty young enough but are not being giving the playing time to develop and improve, which they need.

Hence me believing that the indiciations are that they have changed tactics to the here and now, rather than the future. This scares the f out of me.

Edited by Chicken Field
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Chicken Field said:

I was referring to those you mentioned, 28 is indeed a good age, for the here and now. 

Should we sign Coutinho, that'll be upwards upwards of £100m invested into the here and now, with little to no re-sale value. (Not to forget the inflated wages)

Buendia and bailey are plenty young enough but are not being giving the playing time to develop and improve, which they need.

Hence me believing that the indiciations are that they have changed tactics to the here and now, rather than the future. This scares the f out of me.

The here and now is what is needed to break the top 6.  Liverpool, City, Chelsea etc. sign players that improve their squads now, not in 3 or 4 seasons, they don't worry about signing a 28 year old because they won't turn a profit.  That's selling club mentality.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, og1874 said:

Yeah, and 2 good signings that were available during the winter window - doesn't address the rest of the shortcomings. So yeah, I would still say making do for the moment

Wow ! 

Countinho is making do - I have to respectably disagree - Barry Bannan, Craig Gardner, was making do imo. 

31 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

It is early days for a manager, but many of Gerrard's decisions are baffling. My confidence in him is very little at the mo.

I think many things are baffling.....Like the way an ambitious football club has failed to secure any defensive midfield talent for the amount of seasons it has.....I can't think of many clubs in the Prem would do that.

Gerrard is trying to balance and unbalanced squad....is it any wonder, he is trying so many permutations.....I have been watching Villa for a long time.....and football in general, I Iike to think, I know a bit about the game, I love......but I would have no idea how to reconcile this squad in to a balanced football team....Erno Rubik is required.

I accept that Marv divides the fanbase on the quality of his game, but he is the only, dedicated CDM we have in the squad......Now thats what I call baffling. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

Has anybody ever said they wanted Smith back, its a common opinion it was time to go on here not by the media funny enough. 

Issue is we were promised a superior upgrade which we didnt get, we got Purslows unproven buddy. 

Even Collymore was saying a similar line - like he’s ‘not done much better’ than Smith. Put those Gerrard-disdain tinted glasses for a moment. People need to move on tbh. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Chicken Field said:

It is concerning. Gerrard is ambitious beyond Villa and wants to have success right now. Is he motivated to build things slowly and sustainably? I have my doubts.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, duke313 said:

The here and now is what is needed to break the top 6.  Liverpool, City, Chelsea etc. sign players that improve their squads now, not in 3 or 4 seasons, they don't worry about signing a 28 year old because they won't turn a profit.  That's selling club mentality.

The financial difference between us and liverpool and city is non-comparable.

Also that just isn't true, liverpool and city mostly buy players in their early to mid 20's. The idea is that you buy players and let them grow into a squad and develop individually and either sell them on for profits or reap the benefits when they peak. Our dealings is akin, or at least starting to, more that of Everton., the us from the past and Sunderland when they were in the prem.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

The hatred for Gerrard seems to have eclipsed a natural and logical thought process...

It's as though some cannot get over their dislike for the man and are posting without a need for objectivity.

Can't believe the stuff some of you are posting, it's embarrassing!

I know you expect Gerrard to win the World Cup and introduce world peace but can you just have a little patience.

giphy.gif

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

14 minutes ago, maqroll said:

It is concerning. Gerrard is ambitious beyond Villa and wants to have success right now. Is he motivated to build things slowly and sustainably? I have my doubts.

What club has slowly and sustainably reached top 7 in the league recently? 
And just to add, our owners and Purslow want success right now. 

Edited by IrishVilla10

12 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

What club has slowly and sustainably reached top 7 in the league recently? 
And just to add, our owners and Purslow want success right now. 

Leicester, West Ham, Wolves 

Success right now wasn't the plan before Gerrard came in or else Grealish might have been convinced to stay

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tomaszk said:

Fantasy.

It's not no matter what though. It's not like it's been disastrous. Not even giving a season or a chance in the transfer market is proposterous. That is the type of crap that gets you relegated. 3 managers between Feb 2015 and March 2016 is how you get relegated.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, maqroll said:

He wouldn't be if he read this thread, no one would. Fans want stuff NOW. Or you get the boot. why would you try and build a legacy. 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â