Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

I understand the limitations of our current defence but at some point you would think he would try and just make us harder to beat. If that means flooding our midfield with bodies and trying to play ftom further up the pitch.

We looked anything but against Wolves.

2 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

Most of Smith’s bad spells came along when Jack was injured. Whenever this happened Dean looked absolutely clueless.  I think that the problem is, there is not really an effective way to get these players to perform better than they are. Dean and latterly Gerrard are hamstrung by a squad that is unbalanced and inconsistent. Give Gerrard a chance to change that. If we are still struggling then he will deserve criticism. Until that, he deserves time.

It's a good point.

Villa need more players in key positions to drive us forward.

Perhaps Coutinho and Digne were a step in that direction...

I really think if we find one or two players like that in the middle then our fortunes would drastically change!

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Early days, have patience.

Is 20 games really early days? 

Its nearly half a season, not sure why he should be exempt from criticism even this early in. This is why United are currently in the shit. People wouldn't criticise Ole even when he wasnt up for the job

• Confused 3

5 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Its nearly half a season, not sure why he should be exempt from criticism even this early in. This is why United are currently in the shit. People wouldn't criticise Ole even when he wasnt up for the job

If it's still the same 20 games after a pre-season and summer window then I think the criticism is fair, until then it's a guy who came in mid-season with someone else's unbalanced squad who's had to make do.

We'll get a better idea after the summer.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, og1874 said:

If it's still the same 20 games after a pre-season and summer window then I think the criticism is fair, until then it's a guy who came in mid-season with someone else's unbalanced squad who's had to make do.

We'll get a better idea after the summer.

For me the summer is a huge fear and why this should be stamped out now. I dont trust this guy spending hundreds of millions and be in a similar position next season 

He gives me Lambert vibes 🤮🤮

• Confused 2

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

For me the summer is a huge fear and why this should be stamped out now. I dont trust this guy spending hundreds of millions and be in a similar position next season 

He gives me Lambert vibes 🤮🤮

Any manager coming in and spending hundreds of millions is a risk, that's the way the game works. I don't see the point in bed wetting just yet though. Give him his summer, see what he brings in and how it changes the dynamic on the pitch. Change can take time in football, but by his own line, Gerrard wants there to be no excuses at Villa - after the summer that will be the case for his regime.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Zatman said:

They arent Antonio Conte players and he has got a reaction from them, same with Eddie Howe. The not his players isnt an excuse 

Our system was designed that a new manager can easily adapt to this squad and this hasnt been proven

Eddie Howe couldn't get a reaction out of his players until he spent 100m to get the players he wanted in. And Antonio Conte is a brilliant, world class manager. What is this comparison.

Dude, calm down. We get it, you hate Gerrard, you've made that point across very clear now. You have some valid points sometimes but other times, its just reactionary screeching. 

Edited by Laughable Chimp
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, og1874 said:

Any manager coming in and spending hundreds of millions is a risk, that's the way the game works. I don't see the point in bed wetting just yet though. Give him his summer, see what he brings in and how it changes the dynamic on the pitch. Change can take time in football, but by his own line, Gerrard wants there to be no excuses at Villa - after the summer that will be the case for his regime.

For a guy who doesn't want excuses he does use a fair few 😉

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

For a guy who doesn't want excuses he does use a fair few 😉

And as of right now, they're genuinely reasonable ones for me. That's the issue with a manage coming in mid-season, they literally just have to make do until the summer. That's the grace period, after that things need to happen.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Yes, judge him after 50.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Like we did with Garde, Sherwood, Di Matteo and McLeish? 

Why does Gerrard get an exemption still from criticism

Garde is the only one of those who didn't have a pre-season and summer window

7 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Yes, judge him after 50.

Depends on results - a woeful end to the season could see the club have a rethink in a few weeks (Unlikely I know)

A poor start start to next season - could see him gone by December

Next season - despite a huge transfer outlay - results continue much the same as this - would leave him vulnerable (probable outcome IMO)   

But he is going to get judged prior to  50 games 

Edited by hippo

8 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Do you honestly think our performance so far under Gerrard is comparable to us under Garde, Sherwood, Di Matteo and McLeish?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Zatman said:

So what is your solution? Sack him now? End of season? You realize if Gerrard goes before start of next season, we aren't signing Coutinho?

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â