Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

4 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

I'm holding my judgement until I see if we can land Phillips or Bissouma. Failure to get either means we're shopping in the 3rd and 4th choice players and we're now cemented as a mid table side.

We are very tight lipped with out transfers the past few season (Ings being an example).  We have no idea who the recruitment team have or are looking at. 

It's the manner of defeats for me

6 months and about half a dozen games when we haven't even been remotely competitive. Performances that would make Steve Bruce blush regards to attacking output and intent. 

You can forgive it in the Champo when your winning games. When you're travelling hours to and from games every other week and not seeing a shot against Watford and Arsenal. Not even a glimmer of pressing or desire to get on the front foot.

If that continues every next season the fans will turn and fast because when it's bad it's up there with Mcleish stuff.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, rodders0223 said:

6 months and about half a dozen games when we haven't even been remotely competitive. Performances that would make Steve Bruce blush regards to attacking output and intent. 

You can forgive it in the Champo when your winning games. When you're travelling hours to and from games every other week and not seeing a shot against Watford and Arsenal. Not even a glimmer of pressing or desire to get on the front foot.

If that continues every next season the fans will turn and fast because when it's bad it's up there with Mcleish stuff.

It's the same after every defeat as well saying we were not good enough, then goes out an plays the exact same team the following week.

4 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Newcastle, Arsenal, Watford and Liverpool we had 4 shots on target

Nobody is demanding 12 points but you know a bit of effort. It does be as shit as the Lambert days but with a superior squad

On 04/04/2022 at 00:26, useless said:

West Ham have only taken two more points than us since Gerrard came in and have played one more game than us, Wolves have taken seven more points but have also played a game more, hardly 'miles' ahead, and of course Man Utd are much better than us, we're not expected to be anywhere near as good as them.

Thats interesting  maybe we are being abit harsh on him. My concern with gerrard is he seem to go on a 3-4 winning streak then go on a losing 3-4 streak. We are not going to be challenging for europe next season if we follow that pattern next season.

4 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Thats interesting  maybe we are being abit harsh on him. My concern with gerrard is he seem to go on a 3-4 winning streak then go on a losing 3-4 streak. We are not going to be challenging for europe next season if we follow that pattern next season.

We dont draw games which is a problem. We lost 9 games by a single goal under him. Turn 3 or 4 into draws and it looks better. We cant come back from a goal down another point against the tactics 

Funnily enough the same happened with Sherwood we only lost games by a single goal in the relegation season except Chelsea 

23 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

I think we've been good in spells in all the games really. Our problem is we don't create enough chances and we have a mental fragility. Players know when they concede first that they've lost as we've never come back from a goal down to win in literal years. So the belief we can come back is non existent. I feel the half time berating from Gerrard is a bigger factor or the fear of berating from him at full time is why we put in a bit of effort rather than a belief we can get a result

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

I think we've been good in spells in all the games really. Our problem is we don't create enough chances and we have a mental fragility. Players know when they concede first that they've lost as we've never come back from a goal down to win in literal years. So the belief we can come back is non existent. I feel the half time berating from Gerrard is a bigger factor or the fear of berating from him at full time is why we put in a bit of effort rather than a belief we can get a result

Surprising from what I hear Gerrard isnt a shouter though.

Bit like Terry apparently as a coach he was very reserved.

9 minutes ago, hippo said:

Stuart Pearce was supposed to be a coward on the training ground and bullied by Barton. I think playing reputation is different than coaching 

Just now, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Perhaps you won't agree with me, but I have a feeling Gerrard will.

Big changes in the Summer, mark my words!

Many of the same players were also woefully inconsistent under Dean Smith.

We can't keep blaming the manager when the players are mostly the same and we are midtable nobodies for two seasons running.

Sure, if we are midtable at the end of next season for a third season with different players then we can have the debate about managers, systems etc.

We were not midtable nobodies last season. Our points total last season was usually good enough to challenge for Europe

We won 3 games in a row last month and the manager idea was to go back to a system that doesn't actually work. How is that the players fault

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Perhaps you won't agree with me, but I have a feeling Gerrard will.

Big changes in the Summer, mark my words!

Many of the same players were also woefully inconsistent under Dean Smith.

We can't keep blaming the manager when the players are mostly the same and we are midtable nobodies for two seasons running.

Sure, if we are midtable at the end of next season for a third season with different players then we can have the debate about managers, systems etc.

When the managers are Dean Smith (did great for us - but had a reached a ceiling) and an unproven Stephen Gerrard.  I don't thinks its beyond the realms of possibility that neither are good enough to manage in the higher Echelons of the premiership.

It might just be that neither is/was good enough.

46 minutes ago, hippo said:

Perhaps another bit of misinformation, to put with the rest.

He doesn't strike me as a shouter....I think he is quite a deep thinker and responds with action.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a big turnover in the summer, whether thats right, is another debate, but I think it will happen.

I think he has grave doubts about the character of sections of the side.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Codswallop.

As we did for three years under Smith. Got it right with nearly every player as well.

Remains to be seen what Gerrard's list of requirements is. His targets appear to have been chosen by Martin O'Neill which is a horrifying thought.

absolute Hog wash.

Dean was replaced for a reason, if you care to look for it.

The last line is for the birds.

24 minutes ago, hippo said:

When the managers are Dean Smith (did great for us - but had a reached a ceiling) and an unproven Stephen Gerrard.  I don't thinks its beyond the realms of possibility that neither are good enough to manage in the higher Echelons of the premiership.

It might just be that neither is/was good enough.

Exactly. Two men without any previous experience of managing a team in a top league.

After seeing Samatta and Borja Baston fail, you wouldn’t say we tried two different strikers so the problem must be something else.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

Exactly. Two men without any previous experience of managing a team in a top league.

After seeing Samatta and Borja Baston fail, you wouldn’t say we tried two different strikers so the problem must be something else.

What experience has Arteta or Viera had previously, but they are getting a huge response from their team......Its a desperate argument IMO....anyway SG has enough advisers around him to fill a military base, are they inexperienced too?

errrrrr...... I would try recruitment there...Who ever was responsible for that.

I have my doubts that Dean Smith was as involved in some of the signings, they would have us believe.

Edited by TRO

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â