Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

6 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Also, just lost the star player which everything went through and the star striker from last season who apparently never gets injured according to some in the summer was injured for the first few games and played poorly since, and his other attacking player, Traore was also injured.  Old discussions but sick of people stating things and putting no context with it.

Our first league game we had El Ghazi and Young in the midfield/forward areas with Ings and Buendia starting for the first time.  Also at the time Nakamba who wasn’t thought of as he is today.  Now Gerrard has the option today of Watkins, Ings, Bailey, Traore, Buendia and Coutinho. (Gerrard confirmed Ings was an option).

I think you could male a case that today's starting 11 could well be the strongest we've put out since being back in the prem.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I think you could male a case that today's starting 11 could well be the strongest we've put out since being back in the prem.

and a very strong bench

1 hour ago, useless said:

He said similar after we lost to Watford and Newcastle, we then went and won the next three. Not really sure what's wrong with the comments, pretty much stating the obvious, seems like people with an agenda trying to make a big deal out of something that's not a big deal.

I think his comments are spot on.

I agree about people having an agenda. 

Results since Gerrard took charge has us sitting 8th in the table, not exactly a bad return is it, only top 6 and Wolves are above us. 

League table since Gerrard took charge

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Smith got to play Buendia, Ings and Bailey for a grand total of 38 minutes. 

To be fair. Non of them have played well for us consistently. I hope Buendia will but have great doubts over the other two (although I admit that they need more time).

5 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

Results since Gerrard took charge has us sitting 8th in the table, not exactly a bad return is it, only top 6 and Wolves are above us. 

Great start under new manager bounce….struggling with 14 points in the last 13 games though 

https://www.twtd.co.uk/league-tables/competition:premier-league/daterange/fromdate:2021-Dec-15/todate:2022-Jun-01/type:home-and-away/

I have no agenda but in the last 15 months, the only positive is a six game new manager bounce but either side of that both Smith and Gerrard have poor results.

Forgive me if I’m pissed after another poor result! The only agenda I have is not to have to put up with another 15 months of roughly 1 point per game average, no agenda otherwise!

1 hour ago, Chindie said:

This was a mistake.

The last time we finished this high in the table was 11 years ago. You're right though, Gerrard made a mistake coming to a club with a permanently negative fanbase.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Great start under new manager bounce….struggling with 14 points in the last 13 games though 

https://www.twtd.co.uk/league-tables/competition:premier-league/daterange/fromdate:2021-Dec-15/todate:2022-Jun-01/type:home-and-away/

I have no agenda but in the last 15 months, the only positive is a six game new manager bounce but either side of that both Smith and Gerrard have poor results.

Forgive me if I’m pissed after another poor result! The only agenda I have is not to have to put up with another 15 months of roughly 1 point per game average, no agenda otherwise!

I don’t believe in new manager bounce, I’m sure it’s been kinda de-mythed that it’s a thing.

6 minutes ago, R.Bear said:

The last time we finished this high in the table was 11 years ago. You're right though, Gerrard made a mistake coming to a club with a permanently negative fanbase.

We are not finished though. I bet we won't be higher than last season come the end.

13 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

I don’t believe in new manager bounce, I’m sure it’s been kinda de-mythed that it’s a thing.

Don’t believe but facts prove it’s a thing as I’ve shown before and this is just a start of a list from this website and there are others for other leagues.

https://www.premierleague.com/news/2347230

05618AC1-C3B9-46BC-9D0C-BA2A427254E8.jpeg

14 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

No, it’s documented and exists. Only logical too, would almost be strange if struggling teams didn’t pick up momentarily with a new leader bringing some hope, plus players do their best to impress.

• Like 1

We were always going to be inconsistent with a manager coming in mid-season with the position we were in. We're safe and you can bet he's learning a hell of a lot about our players and who will fit his philosophy. I think he should start  to try some of the youngsters, let's see what they're made of.

How dare he blame the players. He threw them under the bus yet again today, I'm not liking this kind of management. 
This is something you should do in private not public.

Why does he keep playing out of form players like Mcginn? His favourites are nailed! 

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

It's a very good point.

A lot of people who were against Smith for so long had very high expectations for our squad. It does now seem have gone quiet on that front. 

If I'm honest, it's a combo of all those things.

One MAJOR difference though, is that Dean Smith pretty much signed ALL of those players.

There definitely were times under Deano, where a few of us did note that players were letting him down as well, notably, the same ones which are currently letting us down.

It's entirely possible for the board and people to think " There is no way X player and X player are this bad, they would certainly be doing better under another manager " and then come to the realisation that " Nah, X player really is shite ". Lol

It's all a process, if it were only ever exclusivley down to players or managers, none would ever get changed. It's why even the best clubs will have a manager comes in who wants his own players.

Even if currently SG is a " side step " at best, the board might view him as a side step with a higher ceiling which is/was worth whatever some might consider short term " pain .

Also to note, Deanos most fierce critics, are some of the same ones criticising Gerrard as well.

I tend to agree with @TROin the sense that it's not even so much the quality, but the balance.

Personally, I've always said this was going to be a season of transition, since the events of the summer.

SO my expectations weren't " high ", but they certainly weren't what was eventually happening under Dean either.

At the end of the day, it's still way too early to decide if sacking Deja and bringing in SG was a complete cock up or not.

• Like 1

we have a long way to go, but this should tell us all we need for now:

Under Gerrard - 2021/22 - game week 12 to 30:

image.png.d79b58bbb365aaa342f7c9631ea972b7.png

Under Smith: (2021/22 - game week 1 to 11):

image.png.46f522d96fe84dfd5c11ad6478b1ae30.png

Under Smith - 2020/21 - Game week 18 to 38:

image.png.b0195008797ee5187da4eeaa644ef0f8.png

50 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

But we are no better than we were under St. Dean?

1 hour ago, Zero7 said:

Good, we have bought utter dross over the last few years. We need a sea change in our transfer philosophy. 

Really ?

I think a good whack of players - would go for more than we paid.

Konsa, Ming's, Cash, Mcginn, Watkins, Martinez

Sure theres been a few duds too - but given many arrived after a surprise promotion and we were forced to assemble a squad in a few weeks. I ve know poorer periods in a transfer history.

54 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

I agree there has been / is an agenda against him from day 1. It was always a divisive appointment - but doesn't that also mean it was an unwise appointment.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â