Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

16 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I can't believe this is actually a " thing ". It's like throwing a strop when you find out your girlfriend dated other men before you.

It really isn't. It's more like already knowing they had an ex, who they met up with while you were going out and don't tell you. Then getting mildly annoyed when a picture of them together goes up on social media.

Can't say I give a shit though.

12 minutes ago, hippo said:

You bet if he goes to Liverpool in due course - he won't be caught wearing a villa top.

Probably not but then it’s not a comparable situation. He’s been asked to take part in an ex players game for Liverpool. Plenty of ex Villa players who have had careers after Villa would probably take part in a charity game for us if we asked them to.

This is really not something to criticise him for.

21 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Personally it doesn't bother me because he is so obviously Liverpool through and through, he's never going to even pretend to be anything else 

I expect him to be professional about it when we play them but other than that he can do what he wants, to be fair to him I do like it when I see stuff on his insta of his lad in the garden in a Villa kit

Terry was the same with Chelsea 

I think it goes with the territory of being another clubs legend.

Its not been an issue in the past, because other than our own legends like Little and Gregory, they have usually been journeymen, managers.

Its not great, but we was never going to win over his heart.....we just want him to develop our football team....who he supports , is his business.

I guess a similar thing could happen with Lampard.....I guess the trick is, not to be too sensitive.

12 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

to be fair its mostly those that didn't want him in the first place and are just using it as another excuse to beat him with

if we'd appointed pep and he went and played a charity game for barca then no one would give a toss

Correct 

But why appoint a manager who always looked likely to divide the fan base ?

(And before you say it hasn't - he said himself on appointment that he knows he wasn't popular here)

Just now, hippo said:

Correct 

But why appoint a manager who always looked likely to divide the fan base ?

(And before you say it hasn't - he said himself on appointment that he knows he wasn't popular here)

name me 1 manager who we could realistically have obtained that 100%...or even 90% of the fanbase would've been on board with

in any case, i hate to break it to you, but when christian purslow was tasked with making a multi million pound decision such as appointing the first team manager, what the fans want would not and should not have entered his head. it's what's best for the club that matters

he knows more about football than you or i and is better placed to make that decision

1 minute ago, tomav84 said:

name me 1 manager who we could realistically have obtained that 100%...or even 90% of the fanbase would've been on board with

in any case, i hate to break it to you, but when christian purslow was tasked with making a multi million pound decision such as appointing the first team manager, what the fans want would not and should not have entered his head. it's what's best for the club that matters

he knows more about football than you or i and is better placed to make that decision

Agree.

Maybe it will prove to be a masterstroke. CPs shout.

But none the my point stands it wasn't a popular appointment (see the early pages of this thread)

It's not a deal breaker as you say - it does however  make his job that bit harder though.

1 minute ago, hippo said:

Agree.

But none the my point stands it wasn't a popular appointment (see the early pages of this thread)

It's not a deal breaker as you say - it does however  make his job that bit harder though.

OK...but i dont think gerrard divided the crowd any more than any of the potential other appointments would have. there was no obvious choice. the early pages of this thread would've been quite similar regardless of who we'd appointed

6 minutes ago, hippo said:

Agree.

Only if we make it harder, as opposed to ignoring it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tomav84 said:

OK...but i dont think gerrard divided the crowd any more than any of the potential other appointments would have. there was no obvious choice. the early pages of this thread would've been quite similar regardless of who we'd appointed

Disagree. 

You only have look at the fact the results under Gerrard aren't bad for a mid season manager. IME I still think a fair few fans aren't onboard with Stevie G.

2 hours ago, hippo said:

You bet if he goes to Liverpool in due course - he won't be caught wearing a villa top.

his son might.....he can't get it off him now.

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

I agree.

what if Jack played in a Villa shirt, for charity, would man city fans get upset......some might, some might not.

its down to each persons view.

Personally, I never see SG losing his heart to us, and being everything Villa in his head.....what I do expect , is a dedicted manager to making Aston Villa a force again.

Personally, I feel what SG does in his own time, within reason, is his business....I just want him to motivate our team.

I was all for SG being our new manager and still am, will I ever get emotionally attached to him, no....nor PC ....Jack grealish, bled claret and blue and still left for his own personal reasons.

Getting emotionally attached, will only end in disappointment.......I suggest, Praise them when they do well and question them, when they play shit, and keep a level head on emotion.

The difference is Stevie G openly has ambitions to manage Liverpool.

For that reason he is going to buy ready made players ignoring development and youth players.

If the likes of chuck , bidace Archer  get shunted aside for a few ageing Scouser mates - that's going to create issues.

17 minutes ago, hippo said:

Disagree. 

You only have look at the fact the results under Gerrard aren't bad for a mid season manager. IME I still think a fair few fans aren't onboard with Stevie G.

which part you disagree with? you think there was a candidate that would have had more support for gerrard? who out of interest?

maybe not everyone is 100% onboard yet (myself included because i think he needs a summer window and a full pre season) but theres a difference between being not 100% onboard and being opposed to the guy

in any case, no manager gets full fans backing. even when we were beating liverpool 7-2 and playing brilliant football there was an anti smith camp. i'm sure there are city and liverpool fans that aren't totally behind their managers.

4 minutes ago, hippo said:

The difference is Stevie G openly has ambitions to manage Liverpool.

For that reason he is going to buy ready made players ignoring development and youth players.

If the likes of chuck , bidace Archer  get shunted aside for a few ageing Scouser mates - that's going to create issues.

well if coutinho counts as an 'ageing scouser mate' then the more the bloody merrier as far as i'm concerned!!

• Like 2

I can foresee some of the outlandish moaning and unreasonable criticism getting so tedious, that eventually the rest of us, will just want him gone, so that some fans, might come back to their objective senses, under whoever the new manager is 🤦🏿

Also note that the next Manager needs to be Villa through and through.

Give it Gabby till end of season 👀

• Haha 2
  • Shocked 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â