Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

6 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

Cash and Digne don't suit the wing back roles and neither does Young.

This one is a worry. £25m on a player that so far seems a downgrade to the Targett at Newcastle (though he wasn't doing it here). Digne needs more time, obviously, but it looks nowhere near the upgrade it should be on paper.

I'm not sure I'm willing to say he doesn't fit the system yet, but if we have 2 in a row well regarded leftbacks who can do it elsewhere but not in this system, maybe it isn't the players' fault.

• Like 1

Still fully behind Gerrard, he mentioned in the interview the only way to close the gap between the top clubs and us is through hard work , belief in ourselves, and backing from above,  that’s the second time I’ve heard him mentioned that, might be me taking out of context but any manager thinking there would be a lack of backing from Our owners at Villa is needs to think again .

Edited by gwi1890

20 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

Still fully behind Gerrard, he mentioned in the interview the only way to close the gap between the top clubs and us is through hard work , belief in ourselves, and backing from above,  that’s the second time I’ve heard him mentioned that, might be me taking out of context but any manager thinking there would be a lack of backing from Our owners at Villa is needs to think again .

Considering the backing he's got already, I really don't like how he conducts himself in interviews on this topic.

There was one a couple of weeks ago asked about us permanently signing Coutinho, and he said something like "Well, you know what I'd do if it was my money". Not exactly presenting the united front I'd expect, and it sounds a lot like him lining up excuses.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

There was one a couple of weeks ago asked about us permanently signing Coutinho, and he said something like "Well, you know what I'd do if it was my money". Not exactly presenting the united front I'd expect, and it sounds a lot like him lining up excuses.

I remember hearing that comment and thinking ‘we’ll, we’re paying you enough, feel free to donate to the cause’.

Ongoing investment is a necessity of good sides in top leagues, he still needs to get consistency out of the v decent set of  players he has.

42 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

Massively disrespectful if he's referring to lack of support from the owners 

21 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Considering the backing he's got already, I really don't like how he conducts himself in interviews on this topic.

Indeed,  we moved quickly and the net spend was second only to Newcastle in January, no manager could ask for more tbh.

5 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Massively disrespectful if he's referring to lack of support from the owners 

Yep the owners see the same games we see .....wonder what conclusions they are drawing.

7 hours ago, lexicon said:

Isn't that a blocked shot?

Yes. And a blocked shot is classed as off target in shot statistics even if it was heading for the goal (which I find a bit harsh).

The 96th minute. Good grief. 😢 

He will have this season and next , but to much inconsistency in our team week to week and we lack grit and steel on the park .Sanson being blocked out is baffling.

Edited by ozvilla28

25 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

OR.... The more simplistic way to take it, was that he was saying, exactly what he was saying 🤔.

Insinuating that, to push on, we will need a higher caliber of player in future windows? He's already been backed, and thanked the owners for the backing in January.

It's a catch 22, we like Managers to be open with their feelings and thoughts, but only if they are saying the things we want to hear, the way we want to hear it.

I do always point out that I realise, people take things, how they want to ingest it, usually based on their feelings towards or perception of the messenger.

Other managers say and do much worse all the time.

Yes you're right, if that was the take, hence why i said if he's referring to the owners.

• Like 1

Will properly judge Gerrard next season when he has had a summer window and a full pre-season with the team. Was skeptical about him being appointed but the club was 2 points clear of relegation having lost 5 in a row and now we sit 9th 14 points clear of relegation. The season was a write off after the 5 losses in a row under Smith so to be in mid-table cluster of teams his doing ok for me. The league table doesn't lie, there's a gap between the top 8 and the rest and we have come up short against teams above us all season and tbh I think Leicester will finish above us when they play their games in hand so I think 10th is going to realistically be where we finish. 

I remember his early days at Rangers he wouldn't mess about in the media if he had to criticise the players and was wondering how long it would before he started doing that here. Saying some of the players lacked belief won't be the last time this season I feel.

He will no doubt be backed in the summer by the owners and there will be a lot of fringe players shifted off the books but it's going to be difficult to break into them European places next season. Aswell as having the regular top six, West Ham have been consistent for 2 years now, Wolves look likely to finish top 8 for the 3rd season out of 4, Leicester will not be this bad next season and Newcastle will no doubt invest in the summer and be able to attract better players as they won't be in the relegation zone this time. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Him and Lamps both gave similar arsey interviews this weekend. Both were successful players in sides used to winning. They have to learn to take defeat better as managers.  Managing a non scab 6 club is a totally different world for them.

Its a bit worrying and have said before its a Sherwood like attitude of everybody fault except me

Its we should have hired Dwight Yorke he didnt always play for teams at the top 😜

On 19/03/2022 at 22:06, M_Afro said:

You always speak sense mate. I totally agree with this. A few carefully planned transfers in the summer could make all the difference. We lack size, pace and physicality. Two or three carefully chosen players could really redress the balance and all of a sudden we will look a different prospect.

So do you.

The appropriate new players, will make the rest play better, its a knock on effect.....we have 3 offensive minded players playing in midfield, its got to cause imbalance....and the better teams capitalise on it.

Pete the canadian and Luke Robinson UTV podcast has picked up on it......and they are correct in their comments.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

OR.... The more simplistic way to take it, was that he was saying, exactly what he was saying 🤔.

Insinuating that, to push on, we will need a higher caliber of player in future windows? He's already been backed, and thanked the owners for the backing in January.

It's a catch 22, we like Managers to be open with their feelings and thoughts, but only if they are saying the things we want to hear, the way we want to hear it.

I do always point out that I realise, people take things, how they want to ingest it, usually based on their feelings towards or perception of the messenger.

Other managers say and do much worse all the time.

You're right, but I think there's something for consideration. it seems to me like there's aspects of good management which are necessary - by that I mean that there are managers/coaches who go to a new side and work with what's already there and improve the players individually and collectively - they kind of accept "these are the tools I have to work with, let's crack on" and then there are others who go to a new club and have an approach "this lot aren't what I want, I need funds to change them all". And of course there's the middle way, which is "this is what I've got now, but I will need to change a few".

I get the impression that Gerrard is now a bit tending towards the notion of changing a lot of players, or that's how it comes across to me. My concern is that it's not actually the players that are the problem here. It seems like what has happened this season is the major disruption of the squad and management team due to the departures of Grealish and Deano's right hand men, Richard O'Kelly and John Terry, then a scrambling around trying to find a system and make it work, then more disruption with Gerrard and his team coming in, then a spell of improved results and performances as a framework and discipline were introduced - a sense of direction which had been missing, but then that has been followed by real inconsistency due to trying to force a tactical approach that doesn't suit either the players or the league they're playing in. And that's led to Gerrard becoming frustrated, players becoming frustrated as what is being asked clearly isn't right for the circumstances. The game plan he's using is weak and uncertain, and the players are not fully on board with it. And it shows in his interview and in the performances.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, TRO said:

I don't want him to be a good loser, we've had too many of those managers.

I want him to be vexed, I would after that shit show......No fight, is no excuse.

He was clearly rocked by that.

I was thinking if he was like that with the interviewer then i'm sure he was a lot worse with the players. I'm sure a few probably know that if he had options they wouldn't be playing much for the rest of the season. 

34 minutes ago, RichW said:

I was thinking if he was like that with the interviewer then i'm sure he was a lot worse with the players. I'm sure a few probably know that if he had options they wouldn't be playing much for the rest of the season. 

I think people are reading way too much into the interview - it must get tedious week in week out being asked a variation of the same question.

Lets be honest Stevie G isn't the most likeable of blokes - not that it matters if he gets results - he just not got a likeable personality. 

28 minutes ago, blandy said:

You're right, but I think there's something for consideration. it seems to me like there's aspects of good management which are necessary - by that I mean that there are managers/coaches who go to a new side and work with what's already there and improve the players individually and collectively - they kind of accept "these are the tools I have to work with, let's crack on" and then there are others who go to a new club and have an approach "this lot aren't what I want, I need funds to change them all". And of course there's the middle way, which is "this is what I've got now, but I will need to change a few".

I get the impression that Gerrard is now a bit tending towards the notion of changing a lot of players, or that's how it comes across to me. My concern is that it's not actually the players that are the problem here. It seems like what has happened this season is the major disruption of the squad and management team due to the departures of Grealish and Deano's right hand men, Richard O'Kelly and John Terry, then a scrambling around trying to find a system and make it work, then more disruption with Gerrard and his team coming in, then a spell of improved results and performances as a framework and discipline were introduced - a sense of direction which had been missing, but then that has been followed by real inconsistency due to trying to force a tactical approach that doesn't suit either the players or the league they're playing in. And that's led to Gerrard becoming frustrated, players becoming frustrated as what is being asked clearly isn't right for the circumstances. The game plan he's using is weak and uncertain, and the players are not fully on board with it. And it shows in his interview and in the performances.

Good post. I think the primary issue with the formation and tactical approach is it's "all in" on working the ball from the back. Gerrard bemoaned post match that the team didn't switch things up and find a different way. They couldn't because the only way to get the ball to the 10s is through the midfield or if one of them comes deep. With only Watkins doing any attempts to run the channels he was easily marshalled as he was so isolated a defender could just man mark him. If our two 10s or even one of them joined the front line with Watkins and worked the other channel then there would be more options for a direct pass. Buendia doesn't do that he drops deep to get the ball not wide as he lacks pace. Add to that it seems Beale drilled into them all week about how to play from the back and beat Arsenals press, getting the ball to the 10s and then the danger areas. It failed completely (as it has many times before) and as I said, no direct options to the channels to bypass the press. 

I don't think Gerrard wants to change a lot of players. Two positions are absolutely critical for him this summer. Ball playing CB and an elite passing defensive midfielder. To change the 5 man unit of CBs and Midfielders to another level in terms of passing. As say Bissouma and Gomez came in, Luiz moves to 8 you've now massively improved the passing ability of that 5. I think his frustrations are those 5 players are not talented enough to execute the style of play he wants them to on any consistent basis under pressure. They lack belief because they know this isn't their strengths. 

I think next season if we make the change to Luiz, Bissouma/Phillips, McGinn and Ramsey is moved further forward into competing for a 10 role alongside Coutinho and Buendia. Along with that ball playing CB to partner Mings. We will see the improvements Gerrard wants

Â