Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

2 minutes ago, jim said:

When did we last win 3 and concede 0 in the Premier League?

12 December 2009    Manchester United    0–1    Aston Villa
15 December 2009    Sunderland    0–2    Aston Villa
19 December 2009    Aston Villa    1–0    Stoke City
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Brought his successful formation from Rangers to Villa and got off to a good start.  Apparently he was rigid and never diverted from that whilst up there but it was justified when he got off to a good start here.  

His reluctance to change when we lost our key component (Nakamba) is what led to our bad run but then for the Brighton game he finally changes it up and voila!

I definitely overreacted during our dodgy run. Didn’t go as far as worry about relegation because that was never happening but I definitely doubted Gerrard. Probably shouldn’t have done that. 

So I'm gonna say the tactical switch up has worked an absolute treat. We’re just a far more balanced side and that’s delivered 3 outstanding results on the spin. 

Got us in a nice position now. 

• Like 2

Very happy with our performances these last 3 matches.  The tweaked system has worked wonders and we seem to have found the best way to attack while still staying strong at the back.  I'm still not completely sold on Gerrard as the manager yet, but he's starting to turn me around.  These last three matches were brilliant, but we were absolutely horrible the 3 before that...  Let's see if we can continue to pick up points and close out the season strong!  UTV!

I feel the tactical change from Gerrard has solved our midfield problem. We seem to have one full back going forward and the second arriving later, so if we lose possession in that attack we have an extra defender as the other full back hasn't bombed forward at the same time as we were doing before Brighton game.

Take Cash's goal, he came from deep later in the attacking play, if the ball was turned over if say Ings passed to someone centrally before Cash got forward and it was intercepted. We then have more defenders to cover the counter. 

I also think because arriving late at the back post has lead to the improved goals and assists from Cash too. Play is sucked towards the left as that's where Coutinho drifts to and sucks the play towards him. Cash then see's all the space ahead of him and makes the late run into it. It's such a simple yet effective tactical change.

I think this change still works with the two 10s option too. 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, R.Bear said:

I enjoyed Gerrard refusing to give too many details in the post match interview of how he tactically outclassed the last three futile sides who dared to face the mighty Villa. A lesser manager would have been a giddy idiot and fessed up.

It's all business with Gerrard, loose lips sink ships.

I hate interviewers/pundits asking managers questions like that - how about you watch the game and figure it out yourself?

29 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

Sitting pretty in the table

League Table Since Gerrard Took Charge

So 8 wins from 16, that's a decent return of 50% win rate and it could have easily been better but for a couple of duff results against Leeds 1st game, Newcastle and Watford. Hopefully given time and pre-season to really drill the squad, Gerrard and his team will be able to reduce the duff performances and we will be really pushing the top 6-8 positions next season.

• Thanks 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â