Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

Just now, DCJonah said:

I do find it slightly amusing that a lot of the criticism towards Smith was that he should have been doing better. We had some fans angry we weren't challenging for Europe last season. 

Now all of a sudden its all down to the players. 

Dunno about that, some people have consistently blamed certain players for nearly two years now.

We need some big changes in personnel.

2 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

OK I had a little time to reflect...

Gerrard can't be to blame, it's the players.

Most of the current team just aren't good enough and we see that in games like those against Watford and Newcastle.

Watford have done the double over Aston Villa this season and I'm blaming the players for their lack of quality. We are toothless and a soft-touch due to our inconsistency.

Top ten is extremely unlikely based on current form which is a shame as we should be winning these games. The likes of Southampton and Wolves are taking their opportunity to be top ten ahead of us.

Gerrard of course has to shoulder a lot of the blame just like the players, just like Smith copped a lot of the blame earlier in the season.  

Gerrard can’t be exonerated of blame because ultimately he’s in charge, he picks the team, the system, the style, the approach and adjusts when adjustments are needed.

Also has to man manage the players and obviously isn’t doing that successfully game after game at the moment because they aren’t listening to him enough during the week and ultimately during the match.  

Of course it can change and we pray it does quickly but Gerrard has to be blamed as much as the players.  Neither the players or management can avoid blame here.

10 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I do find it slightly amusing that a lot of the criticism towards Smith was that he should have been doing better. We had some fans angry we weren't challenging for Europe last season. 

Now all of a sudden its all down to the players.

We had a poor summer transfer window. This season was always going to be tough. We argued over this a lot at the time. 

9 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

I think once all that is said and done though Nick the players need to implement those strategies and they aren't.

Gerrard is almost powerless and is left frustrated by the players as am I.

Big changes hopefully in the summer.

While I agree somewhat, when those players didn’t implement those strategies against Newcastle, Gerrard said there would be changes for next game and he only made one change of Danny in for Ollie, which most of us was shocked that was all so Gerrard wasn’t powerless from game to game.  

Then he also can make changes during the game so is not as powerless as you are suggesting.  

Not only that but we were worse second half after half time team talk.  

Lastly after three weeks of break in January that Gerrard could get into the players, we have since come back worse from that break.

Edited by nick76
  • Like 1

If that Watford 'performance' was the culmination of Gerrard and his coaches drilling their system into our players for 3 months then I'm worried. We even seem to have regressed since Coutinho and Digne came in which takes some doing.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, nick76 said:

While I agree somewhat, when those players didn’t implement those strategies against Newcastle, Gerrard said there would be changes for next game and he only made one change of Danny in for Ollie, which most of us was shocked about so Gerrard wasn’t powerless from game to game.  

Then he also can make changes during the game so is not as powerless as you are suggesting.  

Not only that but we were worse second half after half time team talk.  

Lastly after three weeks of break in January that Gerrard could get into the players, we have since come back worse from that break.

I'm not disagreeing however he is powerless as the players are perhaps just average. I didn't think that was the issue but now I've changed my perspective.

Yes he should have made more changes but again like me he doesn't have the confidence in the players to come in and do the job.

Many of the players cannot implement his ideas, clearly lacking confidence or are just s***.

11 minutes ago, nick76 said:

What about 1 win in 8?

It's shit, but this was a post I found funny, because it sums us up in general.

I didn't go searching for it or trying to point score, as long as I can remember, the above is accurate.

Saw it on Fb and thought it was funny,

Don't take it seriously.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Many of the players cannot implement his ideas, clearly lacking confidence or are just s***.

Or his ideas just aren't very good? Or he's incapable of getting them over? 

It's interesting, the chips are down, we've seen Dean turn things around in this position (project restart) and off the back of six losses at Norwich, does Gerrard have that in him? 

31 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

OK I had a little time to reflect...

Gerrard can't be to blame, it's the players.

Most of the current team just aren't good enough and we see that in games like those against Watford and Newcastle.

Watford have done the double over Aston Villa this season and I'm blaming the players for their lack of quality. We are toothless and a soft-touch due to our inconsistency.

Top ten is extremely unlikely based on current form which is a shame as we should be winning these games. The likes of Southampton and Wolves are taking their opportunity to be top ten ahead of us.

Giving Gerrard a free pass in this case is almost like blaming the car if a driver keeps getting into accidents.

Some seem to think a manager’s job is picking the XI, making subs and giving a post-match interview, because those are the things visible to people on the outside. That’s maybe 1 percent of the job.

The players have played much better previously and will do so again. They are now visibly struggling to compensate for holes in a flawed system.

Villa’s squad is lacking in a couple of positions but should definitely be top 10, probably a little higher than that.

Edited by VillaParkAvenue
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, OutByEaster? said:

I like this manager, I don't think he's a fool and he won't be blind to what's happening on the pitch.

We're going to learn a lot about him in the next few weeks.

Yeah I'm with you on this, some just incorrectly demand instant success and progress when it isn't always that easy.

The lack of patience from some is similar to a child's behaviour.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I like this manager, I don't think he's a fool and he won't be blind to what's happening on the pitch.

Shame he couldnt have started that after the abject 75 mins against leeds or the woeful 90 against newcastle

3 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

As you'll know he still has my support.

Not sure how to take the sinking into the chair images though.

Not sure if it screams defeat, dejection or disgust.

Either way, not great viewing IMO.

• Like 2

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â