Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

I do wonder what Gerrard and Beale are thinking after today’s result. After the whole “changes will be made” quotes following the Newcastle game, and then only replacing Watkins with Ings, it is worrying what the big plan is for us as a team.

Right now I’ll just take getting to the summer still in the division, which is still more than likely right now.

Some daunting fixtures coming up though, especially as some of them need a pick me up, and we’re really **** good at helping those teams at the moment.

4 hours ago, GingerCollins29 said:

He's out of his depth. His 'system' worked with rangers because it's scotland. Any system works when you are rangers/celtic, because you are playing against non-league quality every week.

Sorry but this is objectively nonsense and massively condescending towards another professional league 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, icouldtelltheworld said:

Sorry but this is objectively nonsense and massively condescending towards another professional league 

The non league quality bit. The resources of the Glasgow clubs massively outstrips the opponents. So they have wage bills that reflect that... Some other leagues are similar, but it is an extreme example and one where the achievements of the managers of those two clubs should be seen in context. For example McLeish better win ratio than Gerrard at Rangers, Lennon multiple league titles... 

• Like 4

Just now, Dale said:

The non league quality bit. The resources of the Glasgow clubs massively outstrips the opponents. So they have wage bills that reflect that... Some other leagues are similar, but it is an extreme example and one where the achievements of the managers of those two clubs should be seen in context. For example McLeish better win ratio than Gerrard at Rangers, Lennon multiple league titles... 

The non league quality bit is by your own admission nonsense. I think Gerrard is horribly out of his depth and has shown nothing here to suggest he is the man for the job, but he won the league unbeaten in Scotland with vastly inferior resources to Celtic and had Rangers consistently performing above expectations in Europe. The season before he arrived Rangers finished third. Despite the huge power of the OF in Scottish football, to go the season unbeaten is extremely rare and massively impressive - I say all of this as someone from a Celtic supporting family.

The OP was condescending and massively ignorant of the realities of Scottish football  as has been pointed out by another poster. 

I agree with the broader point, there's no need to resort to posting nonsense and hyperbole to try and make it.

4 minutes ago, Chicken Field said:

Everything about Gerrard to me is screaming short-term goals, which I absolutely hate.

And an inability to even get anything from signing older players on massive wages as the system cannot work with a team without insane resources. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chicken Field said:

It really is depressing.. We have spent millions gambling on an unproven manager, who is on an absolutely massive wages, destroyed our wage structure and strayed away from our transfer policy by getting two players that will never have any resale value in, and we look worse for it.

Yes.

As was said when the signings were happening.

My worry is Gerrard doesn't know how to fix this.

The Young for Cash sub is terrifying. Have an even more attacking RB. That'll mean we win.

Wonder what else was said in the three (four?) hour meeting where he impressed the owners? Can't have taken that long to explain he was going to play the same formation every game.

It was my biggest problem with Smith and we've just replaced him with someone who plays an even worse formation.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Chicken Field said:

It really is depressing.. We have spent millions gambling on an unproven manager, who is on an absolutely massive wages, broken our wage structure and policy by getting two players that will never have any resale value in, and we look worse than ever.

Everything about Gerrard to me is screaming short-term goals, which I absolutely hate.

He’s a bit like Conte. Wants quick results and breaks the bank to sign older players with ”experience”. The difference is Conte knows a bit about tactics and sometimes wins things before he leaves the club in ruins.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, icouldtelltheworld said:

The non league quality bit is by your own admission nonsense. I think Gerrard is horribly out of his depth and has shown nothing here to suggest he is the man for the job, but he won the league unbeaten in Scotland with vastly inferior resources to Celtic and had Rangers consistently performing above expectations in Europe. The season before he arrived Rangers finished third. Despite the huge power of the OF in Scottish football, to go the season unbeaten is extremely rare and massively impressive - I say all of this as someone from a Celtic supporting family.

The OP was condescending and massively ignorant of the realities of Scottish football  as has been pointed out by another poster. 

I agree with the broader point, there's no need to resort to posting nonsense and hyperbole to try and make it.

For the run in europe, you can compare to boreham wood getting to the fa cup 5th round. Good luck to them, a fine achievement, but not the norm. 

You are absolutely delusional if you cannot see the enormous gulf between the old firm and every other team.

Where would Ross County finish in the championship? Or league 1? Or league 2?

There are 2 teams of a decent standard in scotland, one beats the other they win the league. It's the same every year and always will be.

I'm not being condescending, i'm pointing out the obvious. If you see that league as competitive beyond two teams then that in itself is ignorant.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, messi11 said:

We haven't sacked him yet?

Nah - early November next season - after he's spunked another £200m up the wall and totally fecked us over.

I'm not seeing a non messy way out of this.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mantis said:

Sherwood comparisons are a bit silly and childish IMO. Don't even make much sense either as Gerrard has significantly more experience than Sherwood did prior to coming to us.

Not the win record though 🤔

7 hours ago, Mantis said:

And Gerrard had over three seasons with Rangers, proving my point about this being a dumb comparison.

And once again, this isn't a defence of Gerrard, just a rejection of this ridiculous "Gerrard is Sherwood Mk2" thing which has been forced by certain posters.

How many league games and titles did Neil Lennon have for Celtic. Alex McLeish had a better win record for Rangers and you loved Big Eck

7 hours ago, Pissflaps said:

The thing is it's easy to blame Gerrard. But the managers keep changing yet the one constant is the players are the ones playing like words removed week after week regardless of who the manager is.

Mm the players that got us promoted or the players that kept us up or the players that beat Liverpool, Leicester, Chelsea, Arsenal, United and Spurs in the last 18 months 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Spoony said:

I have a feeling this is going to end horribly. It never felt right from the start. 

Was it ever right? Sacking Smith for a rookie who got double his salary 

How is Purslow still employed

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

Was it ever right? Sacking Smith for a rookie who got double his salary 

How is Purslow still employed

Always a worry how much control he's got for such an egotist.

Can't see him too keen to admit a mistake and replace Gerrard before he lets him spent hundreds of millions to try and force it to work.

We will always be much less than the sum of our parts if Gerrard persists with this shape.

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â