Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

1 minute ago, hippo said:

Fair enough.

I think hes a bell end of the highest order - and his appointment has forever tainted Aston Villa for me. We shouldn't be a mini Liverpool - were better than that.

I predict troubled times ahead I really don't hes on the right track at all - the defence looks all over the place - with players bumping into each other the goalkeeper looking a pale shadow of only a few months back. Sure Countinho, Buendia, Ramsey look dynamite - but all there good work we will be undone if we leak goals as easily as we are.

Sure very small sample size - but for those old enough to remember it seems a bit Graham Turner/Tim Sherwood familiar to me.  

I've been going down the villa 50+ years - maybe thats long enough. Im really frustrated that we have great owners, the youth prospects seem out of this world. But as Ive said many times on this forum - you can't fudge the managers (Head Coach) position.

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, hippo said:

Fair enough.

I think hes a bell end of the highest order - and his appointment has forever tainted Aston Villa for me. We shouldn't be a mini Liverpool - were better than that.

I predict troubled times ahead I really don't hes on the right track at all - the defence looks all over the place - with players bumping into each other the goalkeeper looking a pale shadow of only a few months back. Sure Countinho, Buendia, Ramsey look dynamite - but all there good work we will be undone if we leak goals as easily as we are.

Sure very small sample size - but for those old enough to remember it seems a bit Graham Turner/Tim Sherwood familiar to me.  

I've been going down the villa 50+ years - maybe thats long enough. Im really frustrated that we have great owners, the youth prospects seem out of this world. But as Ive said many times on this forum - you can't fudge the managers (Head Coach) position.

Haha

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, hippo said:

Fair enough.

Oh grow up, he's been nothing but affable and professional since the moment he walked through the door here. 

Any question he's been asked by the media (who are pushing this agenda) about Liverpool has been immediately swatted and I don't doubt his commitment to Villa.

Coutinho and Digne are here purely because of him and nothing else as an example of how massive him being here is. These signings were just not possible 6 months ago. 

There are very, VERY few football clubs out there who, once they get a good manager producing results over a long period of time, can feel comfortable that there isn't a step up out there and that they will stay for the long term. 

• Like 2

I wanted Marcelo Gallardo but Stevie G is impressing me (not that he needs to). As I said when he took over from Deano he’s going to need at least 3 transfer windows to be judged properly.

Yes once can make micro criticisms but for me this is a transition period for next season to make a sustained challenge for the top 7.

Losing in the FA Cup though would have pissed him off. Don’t be surprised if we win it under him.

On 09/02/2022 at 22:42, Zero7 said:

He will learn more from this than a 1-0 win or 0-1 loss - dare I say it, he needed to see this 

I think you are Bang on.

I was all for SG fom Day oneand still am.....but I still see the soft underbelly that Dean Smith had to endure.

I hope we fix it in the summer, because right now, we do not have the personnel to fix it.

We can only brace ourselves for more like the Leeds game, in the sense of conceding soft goals.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, hippo said:

Fair enough.

We just lost 5 in a row, our defence and defensive midfield area was a problem before he came. I think hes done pretty well so far. Leeds we lost to last season at home quite easily so a 3-3 is an improvement on that.  He needs time. Next season is the time to judge how hes doing. 

3 minutes ago, ender4 said:

This is why your opinion becomes completely irrelevant to any discussion about Gerrard. No objective criticism at all, just a completely blind hate with zero judgement. 

Which is why most of VT are dismissing your opinion as nonsense. 

Guilty as charged on the first part.

I don't think he will be a success here though. Far from it. Time will tell. 

10 minutes ago, TRO said:

I think you are Bang on.

I was all for SG fom Day oneand still am.....but I still see the soft underbelly that Dean Smith had to endure.

I hope we fix it in the summer, because right now, we do not have the personnel to fix it.

We can only brace ourselves for more like the Leeds game, in the sense of conceding soft goals.

you might want to make CP aware of that. He recently said he was looking forward to a strong 2nd half of the season.

49 minutes ago, hippo said:

Fair enough.

I was sad to see Deano go and Gerrard wouldn't have been my first choice. But he is now the Villa manager and is clearly committed the project. I can't see how as a Villa fan you can't support him.

He has inherited a talented but unbalanced squad. He needs a summer window and pre season to fully judge him imo.

9 minutes ago, PaulC said:

We just lost 5 in a row, our defence and defensive midfield area was a problem before he came. I think hes done pretty well so far. Leeds we lost to last season at home quite easily so a 3-3 is an improvement on that.  He needs time. Next season is the time to judge how hes doing. 

Nope its not an improvement that Leeds game. Leeds scored 3 and didn't have a recognised striker and are miles below last seasons level 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Fun Factory said:

I was sad to see Deano go and Gerrard wouldn't have been my first choice. But he is now the Villa manager and is clearly committed the project. I can't see how as a Villa fan you can't support him.

He has inherited a talented but unbalanced squad. He needs a summer window and pre season to fully judge him imo.

Because he is an abomination of a man.

Sadly you are correct - he needs a summer window and the start of next season before the extent of his abilities as manager can be laid bare. 

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, hippo said:

Its a good job you don't sit by me !  - the bloke behind me makes my dislike of Stevie G look mild.

If you think he only has two detractors - think again. :) 

Wait.......................There's three of you????????????😜

6 hours ago, CVByrne said:

Well to be fair to Gerrard losing Nakamba coincided with the defence dropping off. Which is understandable as Nakamba is the only defensive midfielder we have at the club. So losing him is clearly a blow especially in this system. It's why we went with big bids for Bissouma and bid for Bentancur in Jan.

I think attacking play takes the most amount of time to develop. Especially for a team who plays two 10s and no wide forwards and expects the full backs to be primarily attackers. Gerrard inherited a team made for 4 2 3 1 which in summer recruitment (Ings/Axel) was to adapt to 3 5 2 also. I feel only now has Gerrard got his two 10s with Buendia and Coutinho perfect for the system. He's got Digne in for his attacking full backs. Ramsey is revelling in the system. So we should start to see more from us in attack (which we have in spells against United and Leeds). I don't call that individual magic I see that as exactly Gerrards way, he wants fast quick passes between the attacking players and movement. The only one that isn't working in that system atm is Watkins.

Another issue Gerrard has is the CBs he has inherited. Essentially players who have no experience playing out from the back. With the lowest stats for CBs in the top 5 leagues in that department. He's now got them learning on the pitch playing out from the back now from every goal kick. So we need to cut them some slack it's not their natural game. It's double hard when we have no fit CDM so they're not even getting cover which is why we keep conceding in transition. 

I am seeing lots of positives here from Gerrard and his team. People need to remember Guardiola had a full season in charge with City including a summer transfer window. He came 3rd in his first season 15 points off Chelsea and even finished behind Spurs. He has then recruited players for his system and his style of play and transformed them. I think we all should afford Gerrard time to do the same. If he gets a CB, CDM & CF in summer he has no gaps left in the side and next season we should see us competing from the start for top 6.

My one criticism so far is that Gerrard hasn't fixed the Villa DNA. We throw away games routinely like we always have, we're soft and when we are in the lead deep down you know this is Aston Villa are we are soft and a mentally weak side. 2 goals up with 10 mins left, of course we can lose this game still.

I agree with all of that....

However, the last line, is a result of some of your earlier observations....We don't have the natural nous to stop opposing players.

The thing find strange is this( relating to the club not SG).....only now has Nakamba, been given recognition and ironically has been stuck down by long term injury, which has exacerbated our problems.

But why have we presided over a squad, with less than a handful of defended minded players....in a squad of 25....even before this last window, its bizarre to me.

No wonder we have few options to fix our DNA

58 minutes ago, hippo said:

Fair enough.

I respect your opinions Hippo, but can't agree at all mate, WAY too early.

Certain things simply can't be fixed until we get better players in certain areas.

Some of these things have been consistent since the Deano era.

This points to some of the players.

The likes of Mings, McGinn and Konsa have massive credit in the bank, and so will be given the longest rope to hang themselves with.

With regards to all of the other personal stuff, again, I respect your opinion but can't agree.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, hippo said:

you might want to make CP aware of that. He recently said he was looking forward to a strong 2nd half of the season.

For me Hippo, you can have the best attacking line up in world football.....but if you concede soft goals, the spirit frains out of the side.

Was it Cloughy, who said " You Build from the back"....

Look, I am not bitching about our offensive side, because we can score goals irrespective of who scores them.....but our ability to see out games or defend in general is unpredictable.

We can do it at times, then we seems to forget how we did it, and go all guey and sloppy in other games.....with players( midfielders mainly), just waiting for the "Roy of the rovers " pass, without digging in.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, TRO said:

For me Hippo, you can have the best attacking line up in world football.....but if you concede soft goals, the spirit frains out of the side.

Was it Cloughy, who said " You Build from the back"....

Look, I am not bitching about our offensive side, because we can score goals irrespective of who scores them.....but our ability to see out games or defend in general is unpredictable.

We can do it at times, then we seems to forget how we did it, and go all guey and sloppy in other games.....with players( midfielders mainly), just waiting for the "Roy of the rovers " pass, without digging in.

I agree. build from the back. 

But I think where we disagree is how to go about that. To me you can tighten up at the back with the existing players and TBF this is what Stevie G did in the first few games. But since then weve brought an attacking FB and encouraged Mings to bomb forward.

From your reasoning - you seem to think we can't build from back without new players ? - Presumably that means replacements for Mings/Konsa ?  - Where are players superior to those coming from ? - what would be the likely destination of those two departing ?

We don't need a rebuild - we need to add to what we have - but by the seasons end the pressure for a clearout will be so great  that the fact that our on field organsation is plummeting will be conveniently forgotten  - and the Stevie G juggernaut gallops to its sad conclusion.

20 hours ago, Adman said:

Yeah, not really many excuses left

Excuses for what though? There are a number of other teams that are very strong as well, a few of them are much better than us. I guess it depends on what success will look like? Are we expecting top 4? Europe? Its difficult to judge what will be considered good. Its a very tough league now. 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â