Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

On 23/01/2022 at 20:55, DJ_Villain said:

First manager we have had in a long time that doesn’t come across like a wet blanket…

He is polite, articulate and knowledgeable… He admits when he and the players make mistakes and owns up to his and the teams shortcomings but if he feels it’s unfair criticism, he will call the interviewer out on it…

to be fair Dean Smith was quite good at that, he just wasn't very good at doing anything about it.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

Bit strange we havent organised either the Burnley or leeds games during this time off? Surely we could have fit in one of the games?

Burnley are already playing another one of their re-arranged fixtures.

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

Bit strange we havent organised either the Burnley or leeds games during this time off? Surely we could have fit in one of the games?

Winter break but no reason we can't play Leeds on FA Cup weekend (Burnley are playing a rearranged fixture with Watford).

2 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Winter break but no reason we can't play Leeds on FA Cup weekend (Burnley are playing a rearranged fixture with Watford).

Thats what i was thinking. Why are we not playing it as we both out the cup??

• Like 1

Just now, Demitri_C said:

Yeah exactly and that's what Burnley and Watford are doing.  We also did it last season against Newcastle.

Would've been nice to hammer dirty Leeds twice in four days.

10 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I wonder if it’s down to wanting to use this time as a mini pre-season?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Both teams need to agree to the new date. Maybe Leeds do not want to play it due to injuries or maybe we do not want to play it until Trez is back from Afcom?

• Haha 1

On 25/01/2022 at 16:03, allani said:

Particularly impressive when in those 10 matches we have played 4 of the teams in the top 5 of the form table: Man City (1st), Liverpool (2nd), Man Utd (3rd) and Chelsea (5th) plus Brighton and Leicester who are both in the top half (of the actual league table) and Everton (who would expect to finish in the top half) in the first match after getting rid of Benitez and fans/players fired up to the eyeballs.  That is 7 of the 10 matches where we wouldn't be necessarily expected to pick up results.  Norwich, Palace and Brentford are probably the only 3 where we'd expect to start as favourites.

Also, we were on a 5 game losing streak, so we weren't exactly playing well

• Like 2

Going to be really interesting with all the competition for places. I think we'll see Gerrard giving players a chance every 4 or 5 games. I expect Targett for example to be given a start and Gerrard saying to him, you need to take this chance. Digne then thinking, right when I play next I'm going to hammer down that spot. It's mine. 

Also concentration and effort in games will go up. If you lose concentration and cost us you have a player breathing down you neck to get into the team. Luiz for example is infuriating how passive he is in large chunks of the game. He knows he starts every week as there is no competition for him right now. Bentancur joining and Dougie spending time on the bench will be good for him. When he gets a look in again he'll surely be more aggressive and focused.

I just feel we lack the quality in RB and CF to really kick on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was thinking on the back of this feel good factor that the club is currently bathing in about all the great Scouses that have had that connection with Aston Villa. Dennis Mortimer, probably our greatest captain, ever. Peter Withe, goalscorer of probably, our most important goal in history. John Gidman, as there ever been a more sexy, right- back? Steve McMahon, " what's the score Noel Blake". I know there are many more, but it does seem we have had our fair share of brilliant Scouses.

Edited by sheepyvillian
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

I was thinking on the back of this feel good factor that the club is currently bathing in about all the great Scouses that have had that connection with Aston Villa. Dennis Mortimer, probably our greatest captain, ever. Peter Withe, goalscorer of probably, our most important goal in history. John Gidman, as there ever been a more sexy, right- back? Steve McMahon, " what's the score Noel Blake". I know there are many more, but it does seem we have had our fair share of brilliant Scouses.

Yeah - sure have. I'm confident Stevie G will redress the balance somewhat.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â