Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

I just can't see him getting the Liverpool job. After Klopp they're not going to accept a rebuild, they'll want someone to continue his work with little fuss and change. Even if Gerrard does really well here I think Liverpool will need to go after one of the top names in football.

If that fails then they might move to someone like Gerrard, but I'd be amazed if he replaces Klopp.

Reading RAWK, it seems like a ton of them don't want him to replace Klopp. I just want to know who will have the CV at that time. Don't really see a lot of good choices tbh

20 hours ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

In two to three years when Klopp leaves Liverplop they will be on the hunt for one of THE top managers in European football.

I'd be amazed if it's Gerrard. And if by some miracle it is then he can go with many of our blessings as in turn Villa also would be looking to employ a top manager.

I wouldn't.

Klopp now, is leagues above the Klopp who first arrived at Liverpool.

SG has much learning to do, but I think he has the platform with us to do it....Our owners will give him that platform and its one of the reasons, he joined us....so many things are at the embryonic stage, but the potential is mind blowing.

SG has a burning desire to achieve as a manager and only huge unforeseen criteria, will stop that IMO.....

Aston Villa and Steven Gerrard is like the perfect storm for me....but only time will confirm it.

It doesn't need miracles...it needs prudent decision making ( Primarily in the transfer market) and that bit of luck all successful teams need.

17 hours ago, HalfTimePost said:

Liverpool is going to be a bloody tough gig in 3 years time. Salah, Mane, VVD and Firmino will be past it. They don't have the funds to compete for players with City, Chelsea (or Newcastle). They've lost the guy that found all the players they managed to fund their progression with to Newcastle and they'll lose one of the greatest managers in the world.

Gerrard will go there regardless and it'll end a la Lampard at Chelsea. It'll go on to become a poisoned chalice for years and they'll be back to not being considered title challengers like most of their time in the Prem until Rodgers/Klopp. 

And I can't wait.

Edit: although this scenario means the money clubs become even more entrenched at the top. Which is a shame. But still any of the ESL6 faltering is probably a win

Quite feasible....which makes the SG to Liverpool argument, far fetched right now.....many, many things have to align for that to happen....but what the future holds, who knows.

The top clubs tend to have less sentiment on this ,than the lower clubs...They just want the best, there is......but lets remember too Man U have had such a monumental job trying to repalce SAF and so will be the case with Klopp and Guardiola.

We all seem to forget the years those managers have been building, it can't be shortcut, by anyone.

45 minutes ago, Villaphan04 said:

Reading RAWK, it seems like a ton of them don't want him to replace Klopp. I just want to know who will have the CV at that time. Don't really see a lot of good choices tbh

I bet they don't want him, it would be like United fans thinking 3 years before Fergie finally quit 'ooh Ole has started managing. I hope he's here in 3 years time'.

They have one of the best managers in the world. Probably the second best and they'd have had no hope at ever getting Pep. For them to be sat here now saying they can't wait for 2024 so they can get Gerrard would be insane. They will be desperate for Klopp to stay and for FSG to start investing again.

Inevitably though, FSG won't do that, Klopp will see the writing on the wall and will leave a Hero at the end of his contract to take some 'time away with his family'. They'll be left in that United situation, a Mix of an ageing squad and talented youth, hero manager gone and not quite enough money to overhaul the squad.

• Like 4

Just now, TRO said:

Quite feasible....which makes the SG to Liverpool argument, far fetched right now.....many, many things have to align for that to happen....but what the future holds, who knows.

The top clubs tend to have less sentiment on this ,than the lower clubs...They just want the best, there is......but lets remember too Man U have had such a monumental job trying to repalce SAF and so will be the case with Klopp and Guardiola.

We all seem to forget the years those managers have been building, it can't be shortcut, by anyone.

See I think it makes it more realistic. 

If they're at the top of the game with players who are at the very top in the way VVD and Salah are at the moment still. I think they need a guy whose already winning trophies and leagues. 

If they decline a bit and don't manage to do that, the guys at the top will be apprehensive and a younger guy up and coming makes perfect sense for them

5 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

See I think it makes it more realistic. 

If they're at the top of the game with players who are at the very top in the way VVD and Salah are at the moment still. I think they need a guy whose already winning trophies and leagues. 

If they decline a bit and don't manage to do that, the guys at the top will be apprehensive and a younger guy up and coming makes perfect sense for them

Yeah, it depends on an awful lot of ifs, buts and maybe's.

I think the thing that concerns us most is.....will he do well with us?.....I will be very surprised if he fails, to make a name in management with us and to propel us to greater heights, in the process.

Edited by TRO

As for him going to Liverpool (he has managed 6 games here ffs) it depends who Liverpool bring in after Edwards which is a huge decision for them. 

I cannot see it happening unless he does something solid here but media will still link him regardless 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

I hope this thread throughout his tenure isn’t always going to be about him going to Liverpool…please no!

My thoughts exactly. Like the Benteke thread a while back. Spoiler, he ends up at Liverpool. 

• Like 1

On 16/12/2021 at 17:24, TRO said:

If you are saying that fans will support Gerrard even if he is losing games?....I think you are wrong

If you are saying SG will be supported, because he is winning most of his games?......you are right.

My point is....its not personal, a successful manager with us has to win sufficent games, to stay in the job and SG is no exception.

I love the appointment, but I am under no illusions, he has to do the business, no time for sentiment.

He hasn't got the sentiment card to play. He has taken over a well run club and made the team harder to beat. It's not rocket science.

When you say performances without wins are " pointless " , they are, but only in a literal sense. We lost to City and Liverpool, but there were plenty of positives to take from those defeats. Sometimes a manager learns more about his players when the going is tough. I think character is a top priority in Gerrards thinking when it comes to judging a player, hence, a player like Trez should thrive under him. The players know what's demanded of them, has the manager said, " they're no excuses for anything less than your all ". The shirkers will certainly be exposed under that prerequisite. 

Edited by sheepyvillian

I'm not sure why anyone is worried. 

For Gerrard to be in the frame for the Liverpool job, he'll have to have taken us significantly forward from where we are now, probably into Europe. 

Which means we'll be in the frame for a much more established quality manager than we were this time as well. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â