Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

19 minutes ago, hippo said:

I actually think Gerrard could do an average job with us and still land the Liverpool job.

If he is only doing an average job with us I would hope Purslow would sack him. We do not want average at Villa, we want the best

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Our aim should be european conference league. Winning that gets you in the europa doesnt it?

It does, but there are very good teams in conference. Roma, Marseilles, Spurs... Oh wait, no more spurs.

1 hour ago, hippo said:

I actually think Gerrard could do an average job with us and still land the Liverpool job.

Obviously what an “average” job is subjective but I agree that in not thinking Villa would need to be in a champions league spot or in the top six on a regular basis for him to be considered. Ole didn’t need to get Cardiff flying to land himself the Man Utd job.

I could easily imagine the narrative being “Before he came along Villa were scrounging around the bottom half of the table and since then he’s established them as top eight side, on the fringes of great things…”.

That’s not to say regular top eight finishes should be sniffed at, it would be good. But I’m not convinced Gerrard has to have us pushing for champions league spots before Liverpool come-a-calling.

All that being said, they seem fairly content with their current manager so this is fairly moot.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Obviously what an “average” job is subjective but I agree that in not thinking Villa would need to be in a champions league spot or in the top six on a regular basis for him to be considered. Ole didn’t need to get Cardiff flying to land himself the Man Utd job.

Yeah but Liverpool seem like a well run club that don't do things that way. 

2 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

Yeah but Liverpool seem like a well run club that don't do things that way. 

Obviously I’m not suggesting they’d be interested if we were battling relegation season after season. 

I’m using Man Utd and Ole as an extreme example.

1 hour ago, hippo said:

It really depends on how you define 'average'. Liverpool are well-run with serious owners, they're not going to get someone in who's not been able to cut the mustard properly. 

• Like 1

In two to three years when Klopp leaves Liverplop they will be on the hunt for one of THE top managers in European football.

I'd be amazed if it's Gerrard. And if by some miracle it is then he can go with many of our blessings as in turn Villa also would be looking to employ a top manager.

• Like 2

Liverpool is going to be a bloody tough gig in 3 years time. Salah, Mane, VVD and Firmino will be past it. They don't have the funds to compete for players with City, Chelsea (or Newcastle). They've lost the guy that found all the players they managed to fund their progression with to Newcastle and they'll lose one of the greatest managers in the world.

Gerrard will go there regardless and it'll end a la Lampard at Chelsea. It'll go on to become a poisoned chalice for years and they'll be back to not being considered title challengers like most of their time in the Prem until Rodgers/Klopp. 

And I can't wait.

Edit: although this scenario means the money clubs become even more entrenched at the top. Which is a shame. But still any of the ESL6 faltering is probably a win

Edited by HalfTimePost

The inevitable "promotion" to the Liverpool job still really irks me. Yes, it'll mean he did a good here but I feel it could me massively disruptive. As others have mentioned, Liverpool will need new blood. I wouldn't at all be surprised if Ramsey, Carney, et al were all taken up to Merseyside with Gerrard.

I still find the narrative that the Villa job is just a holding position till bigger and better things are offered to Gerrard at Liverpool extremely patronising and disrespectful. It's trotted out continually by Sky and everyone else.

I hope he proves to be hugely successful here but I fear massive upheaval after he inevitably moves on.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Peter Griffin said:
23 hours ago, hippo said:

Expand  

If he is only doing an average job with us I would hope Purslow would sack him. We do not want average at Villa, we want the best

Gerrard could finish 8th for the next two seasons and be a front runner for the Liverpool job, while Smith would probably have to have won the league to even be considered! 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, jimmygreaves said:

I wouldn't at all be surprised if Ramsey, Carney, et al were all taken up to Merseyside with Gerrard.

They will have to pay big money for them... and that is fine with me. That's the model for mid-tier clubs if they want to push on. Leicester and Brentford are showing that it's the right approach, as long as the player recruitment is spot on. 

12 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

Gerrard could finish 8th for the next two seasons and be a front runner for the Liverpool job, while Smith would probably have to have won the league to even be considered! 

Maybe that is because Gerrard spent 20 years at Liverpool and was their club captain. It stands to reason that this would give Gerrard a significant advantage over other candidates 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, jimmygreaves said:

The inevitable "promotion" to the Liverpool job still really irks me. Yes, it'll mean he did a good here but I feel it could me massively disruptive. As others have mentioned, Liverpool will need new blood. I wouldn't at all be surprised if Ramsey, Carney, et al were all taken up to Merseyside with Gerrard.

I still find the narrative that the Villa job is just a holding position till bigger and better things are offered to Gerrard at Liverpool extremely patronising and disrespectful. It's trotted out continually by Sky and everyone else.

I hope he proves to be hugely successful here but I fear massive upheaval after he inevitably moves on.

In due course it could be a problem. Especially if our young startlets start popping up at Anfield - having declined new deals here.

33 minutes ago, jimmygreaves said:

If any manager leaves Villa for a job with a bigger club the same applies, there is nothing unique to Gerrard with that. 

• Like 2

I just can't see him getting the Liverpool job. After Klopp they're not going to accept a rebuild, they'll want someone to continue his work with little fuss and change. Even if Gerrard does really well here I think Liverpool will need to go after one of the top names in football.

If that fails then they might move to someone like Gerrard, but I'd be amazed if he replaces Klopp.

7 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

After Klopp they're not going to accept a rebuild, they'll want someone to continue his work with little fuss and change

Surely that depends on what the squad is like when Klopp leaves. Liverpool has a lot of high profile players in their late twenties. If they do not have replacements coming through for thee players in the next few years then Liverpool will have no choice but to accept a rebuild regardless who their next manager may be

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

I just can't see him getting the Liverpool job. After Klopp they're not going to accept a rebuild, they'll want someone to continue his work with little fuss and change. Even if Gerrard does really well here I think Liverpool will need to go after one of the top names in football.

If that fails then they might move to someone like Gerrard, but I'd be amazed if he replaces Klopp.

If Gerrard has us in Europe in 3 years time he’ll be replacing klopp 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â