Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

Just now, nick76 said:

I think the club are expecting more than establishing as a top ten team. I’ll be disappointed if that’s all we are and would be surprised if Gerrard’s aim is just that. What’s the point of the change if all our aim was top ten.  

The expectation will be at least regular European football after this season from owners, Purslow, Gerrard and the fans.

They'll have to find some way to at least double our revenue if we are to manage that. We are year behind the established top clubs financially.

1 minute ago, sne said:

They'll have to find some way to at least double our revenue if we are to manage that. We are year behind the established top clubs financially.

I know but that’s the goal, what Purslow has talked about.  He said he was disappointed missing out on Europe last season.  Can you imagine his view with another 3 seasons without European football.

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

I know but that’s the goal, what Purslow has talked about.  He said he was disappointed missing out on Europe last season.  Can you imagine his view with another 3 seasons without European football.

Sure he is realistic, whatever they might say to fans and the press. Might get easier to get into Europe once UEFA starts handing out free places to big name clubs in a few seasons.

1 minute ago, sne said:

Sure he is realistic, whatever they might say to fans and the press. Might get easier to get into Europe once UEFA starts handing out free places to big name clubs in a few seasons.

iirc if they give X European place to a club in England (for example), under the proposed rules it takes a European slot away from the League itself, meaning it might actually be harder to get a slot in European competition.

ie: Villa finish 6th (& 6th is the final slot to gain European competition), Manure finish 8th and get given the "special big club corruption & maintenance slot", the slot for 6th is removed as a league cant have more slots than allocated, meaning we would no longer be in Europe.

At least that how i remember the proposed rule, i might be mis-remembering tho.

2 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

iirc if they give X European place to a club in England (for example), under the proposed rules it takes a European slot away from the League itself, meaning it might actually be harder to get a slot in European competition.

ie: Villa finish 6th (& 6th is the final slot to gain European competition), Manure finish 8th and get given the "special big club corruption & maintenance slot", the slot for 6th is removed as a league cant have more slots than allocated, meaning we would no longer be in Europe.

At least that how i remember the proposed rule, i might be mis-remembering tho.

Yeah that might be right. Either way I think is winning a cup is our biggest chance of getting into Europe. League places will be really, really difficult.

Edited by sne

12 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Fair enough! I’m surprised because he got us promotion, saved us from relegation and then got us 55 points…constant progression season on season is more impressive than most of our managers in almost 40 years.  

We only have Gerrard because what the owners, Purslow and ultimately what Smith has done in the last three years.  

He built this squad and is the heart of this club for the last three years, with an incredible foundation that now Gerrard can take forward.  

Fans may feel that Smith wasn’t the person to take us forward but the club he left, he managed is in an incredible place…he managed that!

So whether you liked his manager persona or not, the platform of squad, players and many other things is due to his management.  A happy, talented, mostly balanced, young, energetic and quality squad with youngsters coming through…I’m not sure there is much more he could do.  

If Gerrard pulls that together long term then great but we saw a lot early last season, just things didn’t go so right in 2021 for various reasons.  

I couldn't agree with you more.....Deans work will never be forgotten.

In terms of the harmony he brought, I agree( he was hugely popular arond the place and that takes a precious skill set).... I am not poo pooing what he did.....but for me , he was more like Vic Crowe.....and now we have more of a Ron Saunders, type.

The Dean Smith years wasn't wasted,far from it, it was essential in the rebuild....SG acknowledges that himself, and he will reap the benefit of that, sadly for Dean.....its all part of the process of progress.

its a bit like Frank Lampard, he did well too, particularly with the Youth, but lacked the killer instinct, to fulfill the ambition.

We are entering the next phase and it needed a fresh approach and a different type of leadership.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, sne said:

Sure he is realistic, whatever they might say to fans and the press.

Doubt it, look how they let Smith go.  That was clinical and no air of sentimentality…result only! If Gerrard doesn’t achieve he will be gone after a couple of years.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

We are entering the next phase and it needed a fresh approach and a different type of leadership.

I’m on board and I’m in the hopeful stage and I’m loving his start but in the back of my mind I know this still is early days and it might not work.  I’m believing but still nervous.

• Like 2

Just now, nick76 said:

Doubt it, look how they let Smith go.  That was clinical and no air of sentimentality…result only! If Gerrard doesn’t achieve he will be gone after a couple of years.

Smith was almost a calendar year of unsatisfying performances, we all know the circumstances that helped create those. Was the right call still imo.

Be pretty surprised if Gerrard is here more than a couple seasons regardless. Most managers these days don't last/stay more than 3 tops 4 seasons. 2.5 seasons with Gerrard seems a likely outcome.

3 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I’m on board and I’m in the hopeful stage and I’m loving his start but in the back of my mind I know this still is early days and it might not work.  I’m believing but still nervous.

understandable.

1 minute ago, sne said:

Smith was almost a calendar year of unsatisfying performances, we all know the circumstances that helped create those. Was the right call still imo.

Be pretty surprised if Gerrard is here more than a couple seasons regardless. Most managers these days don't last/stay more than 3 tops 4 seasons. 2.5 seasons with Gerrard seems a likely outcome.

even with the good performances over the last 6 games, for 2021 its still the case that only one club has lost more games than us in the PL in the 2021 Calendar year, we are equal 19th in the loss table (Villa - 20, Newcastle - 20, Southampton - 21), Burnley are next above us with 18 losses.

pretty shocking tbh.

• Like 4

On 24/11/2021 at 09:18, useless said:

He was a special player and now he's proving to be a special manager.

When he was appointed we were sixteenth on the same points as Watford, just two points above the relegation zone... We're now top half and eleven points clear of the bottom three 😍🎅🎄⭐👼🌟

12 hours ago, nick76 said:

I think the club are expecting more than establishing as a top ten team. I’ll be disappointed if that’s all we are and would be surprised if Gerrard’s aim is just that. What’s the point of the change if all our aim was top ten.  

The expectation will be at least regular European football after this season from owners, Purslow, Gerrard and the fans.

I think in 2.5 years we haven’t got European football, Gerrard would be on thin ice with the board

100%, and from the Ashley Young interview when he’s talking about Europe it made me feel like it’ll be the chat around the players. I think we’re pushing for the Europa league. The champions league is so hard to achieve. Maybe that’s why Gerrard spoke about the cups too, I felt with smith we didn’t take them seriously enough. Yes we got to the carabao final but throughout the early stages of that and the FA cup we were fielding second string players. These could have been a big chance for us to push for a europa league qualification, we may not have been ready for it but it was an opportunity missed in my opinion 

Anybody else surprised he didn’t have a stronger opinion on vaccinations amongst players? He gave it the whole yes we want them to but we have to respect them blah but I kind of expected him to put a bit more subtle pressure on the unvaccinated ones. He must know that our whole season got derailed last year when we had been flying because of a massive outbreak. I thought he’d be a stronger voice on it. Klopp has been excellent, talking about solidarity and trusting the science, I bet none of his players would dare not do as he asks.
When clubs have massive differences in vaccination rates, the influence must come from the management although yes, some of that would have preceded him. I hope they’re all getting their arses in gear now.

Yes. I’m aware that some people will still catch it after vaccination. 

3 hours ago, WallisFrizz said:

Anybody else surprised he didn’t have a stronger opinion on vaccinations amongst players? He gave it the whole yes we want them to but we have to respect them blah but I kind of expected him to put a bit more subtle pressure on the unvaccinated ones. He must know that our whole season got derailed last year when we had been flying because of a massive outbreak. I thought he’d be a stronger voice on it. Klopp has been excellent, talking about solidarity and trusting the science, I bet none of his players would dare not do as he asks.
When clubs have massive differences in vaccination rates, the influence must come from the management although yes, some of that would have preceded him. I hope they’re all getting their arses in gear now.

Yes. I’m aware that some people will still catch it after vaccination. 

I would imagine he's just trying to not get too involved in pushing vaccines publicly (though I agree with you. They should all be more like Klopp about it).

I suppose it could also be that it's been a difficult conversation with one (or some) of the squad and he was trying to not seem like he was taking it semi public to force their hand. Whilst it's all been good news out of the club and obviously his name and career afford him a good amount of respect from the start... He hasn't been here long or achieved enough in his managerial career to maybe be as cavalier as Klopp has been at pushing his players publicly. He's still winning some over - so was pro vaccine in his sentiment but not as pushy as Klopp

The other difference could also just be that Klopp maybe had more of a pro-vaccine group of players, didn't need to convince many of them and could be more outspoken without offending important members of his squad. I'd certainly hope not - but maybe we have more staunch anti-vax or sceptical people in our squad so it's tougher for Gerrard to be as public about it

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

I would imagine he's just trying to not get too involved in pushing vaccines publicly (though I agree with you. They should all be more like Klopp about it).

I suppose it could also be that it's been a difficult conversation with one (or some) of the squad and he was trying to not seem like he was taking it semi public to force their hand. Whilst it's all been good news out of the club and obviously his name and career afford him a good amount of respect from the start... He hasn't been here long or achieved enough in his managerial career to maybe be as cavalier as Klopp has been at pushing his players publicly. He's still winning some over - so was pro vaccine in his sentiment but not as pushy as Klopp

The other difference could also just be that Klopp maybe had more of a pro-vaccine group of players, didn't need to convince many of them and could be more outspoken without offending important members of his squad. I'd certainly hope not - but maybe we have more staunch anti-vax or sceptical people in our squad so it's tougher for Gerrard to be as public about it

All fair points.

On 18/12/2021 at 14:19, sne said:

Only way Gerrard is going to get a better job is by doing a very good job with us and putting us in the euro places, whereas he'll get replaced before then if we're not challenging for those spots anyway. Purslow is not messing about, so I think we'll be fine in any case.

Edited by lexicon
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Only way Gerrard is going to get a better job is by doing a very good job with us and putting us in the euro places, whereas he'll get replaced before then if we're not challenging for those spots anyway. Purslow is not messing about, so I think we'll be fine in any case.

I actually think Gerrard could do an average job with us and still land the Liverpool job.

• Like 2

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â