Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

I personally see the formation coming unstuck soon. I think we lack attacking width and teams will adapt

Against Norwich we produced our highest xG of the season (1.96).  Which honestly is not that impressive given Norwich's place in the table. 

We are desperately missing our injured attacking talent because I don't see us turning over the better teams in this division without the more creative elements in our squad. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Rightdm00 said:

Against Norwich we produced our highest xG of the season (1.96).  Which honestly is not that impressive given Norwich's place in the table. 

We are desperately missing our injured attacking talent because I don't see us turning over the better teams in this division without the more creative elements in our squad. 

The Watkins goal was probably really high on XG chart. 

I think teams will defend more centrally now and allow Targett and Cash do the creative work

2 hours ago, jacketspuds said:

Maybe. I’m sure Gerrard will be aware of the limitations of the squad in terms of how he wants to play. Thankfully the 4 wins puts us in a solid position to get to the January window and make some considered improvements to key areas as opposed to panic buying, Newcastle style, because we are in the shit.

This could be really interesting, without injuries I think we’ve got some great options. Would love to know how Gerrard etc feel about the squad they’ve walked into and if and what they want to add 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

As i am a technophobe would someone cut n paste the bbc football article that has just gone up about Gerrard. It reads brilliantly and reaffirms everything i have got to love about him in just 6 weeks 

Sorry, can’t work out how to either. Nice read though, confirms that family was the main reason to move away from Rangers. Says all the right things about Villa. Seems happy with his decision.

3 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

Worked it out.

interesting about being closer to home, i know Glasgow to Liverpool is roughly 3hr 45mins one way, and i know Villa is closer (1hr 45ish), but even thats not "close", ofc its better than his previous commute, but blimey its still a trek if you wanted to do that commute Mon to Fri.

Wonder if he stays over in Brum a few days a week then commutes a couple etc?

14 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

interesting about being closer to home, i know Glasgow to Liverpool is roughly 3hr 45mins one way, and i know Villa is closer (1hr 45ish), but even thats not "close", ofc its better than his previous commute, but blimey its still a trek if you wanted to do that commute Mon to Fri.

He probably gets home 3 or 4 nights a week . And probably takes a helicopter ! or has a driver. 

Imagine the hell its been. With europe to contend with he probably got home once a weelk at best. 

16 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

He probably gets home 3 or 4 nights a week . And probably takes a helicopter ! or has a driver. 

Imagine the hell its been. With europe to contend with he probably got home once a weelk at best. 

ye it defo shows mental drive and determination.

Going back a decade, I worked for 3.5 years in London (while living in Leicester), i did a 5-6 hour commute every day absolutely cooked me, credit to the guy for the desire and sacrifices he clearly made to take the first step in management at Rangers tbh.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

I'd guess he stays over at the Belfry a couple of nights a week. Don't Beale and McAllister stay there as well?. Probably a good way to talk tactics and plan things! 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Zatman said:

I personally see the formation coming unstuck soon. I think we lack attacking width and teams will adapt

Most managers will see the opposition teams adapt over time. it is to be expected as opposing teams will analyse our play. Look at Smith, the first couple of years were great and the last year was very poor. When other teams adapt to how SG plays, we will then see how good a manager Gerrard actually is. If he can continue to evolve Villa and change things around so that we do not become predicable then we will have struck gold with him. I have no idea whether he will be able to but I really hope he can

17 hours ago, WallisFrizz said:

Definitely sees us as a development move and nothing more. That’s not to say he won’t enjoy it here and maybe grow to have a little affection for the place…but attachment…not a chance. He’ll drop us as fast as Rangers when the moment is right for him. 

To be honest, if he drags us into Europe, I don’t even care how he feels about us. We’ve had the manager who loved us and he took us as far as he could, this is the next level, SG just needs achieve what the club want him too. Anybody expecting love and loyalty from him will likely be disappointed in 2-3 years time. 

spot on.

He is hired to drive Aston Villa on......not to fall in love with the club.

There is no sentiment from me.....just a massive dollop of respect for a man with huge potential.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 3

I think Norwich was the first time we've seen the pattern really work - Norwich helped in that, they're the easiest team we've played under Gerrard so far - but you could see exactly what we want to do - loads of short, intricate passing in the middle of the park, hoping to move them around and create gaps that Buendia and co can exploit, and then once we narrow a team down trying to stop our five man midfield doing that we push the fullbacks on wide and get crosses in - I like it. I think it's difficult to stop, it's one thing that can suddenly become another and it must be very difficult to defend. 

I'm hoping to see more of that today, threatening through the middle, narrowing Burnley up, then launching the fullbacks down the sides.

• Like 4

Also, if Gerrard has driven us to a new level by the time he moves on, no way the board will tolerate any backwards steps in managerial level. We will also kick on; we’d be a much better prospect for top level managers. If it goes well for SG here, we win all ways round. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think Norwich was the first time we've seen the pattern really work - Norwich helped in that, they're the easiest team we've played under Gerrard so far - but you could see exactly what we want to do - loads of short, intricate passing in the middle of the park, hoping to move them around and create gaps that Buendia and co can exploit, and then once we narrow a team down trying to stop our five man midfield doing that we push the fullbacks on wide on get crosses in - I like it. I think it's difficult to stop, it's one thing that can suddenly become another and it must be very difficult to defend. 

I'm hoping to see more of that today, threatening through the middle, narrowing Burnley up, then launching the fullbacks down the sides.

Cutting off the Khyber pass ( open through the middle) has been the most significant move imo.

Once he is confident the conceding has come under control.....the better quality football, will follow.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, GrassyNoel said:

Also, if Gerrard has driven us to a new level by the time he moves on, no way the board will tolerate any backwards steps in managerial level. We will also kick on; we’d be a much better prospect for top level managers. If it goes well for SG here, we win all ways round. 

It just isn't an exact science though is it. Look at Spurs and Everton. We all thought we had the perfect 'next level' manager in MON, and Spurs looked to have found the same in Pochettino, and neither club won anything. Everton had/have bona fide top level managers; the first leaving at the first opportunity, the current incumbent looking as though he is heading into his final MON years. Sometimes you need that extra magic and perfect 'fit' and combination of things for it to truly work.

6 minutes ago, TRO said:

He has no doubt presided over some great games for us....no quibble on that from me Nick, but sadly, I was never convinced on the manager side...His persona, never really appealed to me as manager.....but it did on a personal level....to go and have a pint with Deano every time.

SG on the other hand, wouldn't be over fussed to go for a pint, would be harder work imv.......but I think he will be a great manager for us, and thats all that interests me.

Fair enough! I’m surprised because he got us promotion, saved us from relegation and then got us 55 points…constant progression season on season is more impressive than most of our managers in almost 40 years.  

We only have Gerrard because what the owners, Purslow and ultimately what Smith has done in the last three years.  

He built this squad and is the heart of this club for the last three years, with an incredible foundation that now Gerrard can take forward.  

Fans may feel that Smith wasn’t the person to take us forward but the club he left, he managed is in an incredible place…he managed that!

So whether you liked his manager persona or not, the platform of squad, players and many other things is due to his management.  A happy, talented, mostly balanced, young, energetic and quality squad with youngsters coming through…I’m not sure there is much more he could do.  

If Gerrard pulls that together long term then great but we saw a lot early last season, just things didn’t go so right in 2021 for various reasons.  

• Like 1

Smith got us promotion, 11th and a cup final starting from a 14th place in the Championship.

Think it's hard on Gerrard if anyone is expecting that level of improvement under him. Breaking into the top-6 is almost impossible and doing it on regular basis would need one of the big clubs to collapse. 

Anyone expecting more than us hopefully establishing us as a top-10 side is being unfair on Gerrard and the club imo.

9 minutes ago, sne said:

Smith got us promotion, 11th and a cup final starting from a 14th place in the Championship.

Think it's hard on Gerrard if anyone is expecting that level of improvement under him. Breaking into the top-6 is almost impossible and doing it on regular basis would need one of the big clubs to collapse. 

Anyone expecting more than us hopefully establishing us as a top-10 side is being unfair on Gerrard and the club imo.

I think the club are expecting more than establishing as a top ten team. I’ll be disappointed if that’s all we are and would be surprised if Gerrard’s aim is just that. What’s the point of the change if all our aim was top ten.  

The expectation will be at least regular European football after this season from owners, Purslow, Gerrard and the fans.

I think in 2.5 years we haven’t got European football, Gerrard would be on thin ice with the board

Edited by nick76

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â