Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

On 28/11/2021 at 11:14, Jbvilla909 said:

Two games two wins, getting us up the table. Most the teams below us are poor with Everton and Leicester probably the only exceptions.

Mid week against Citeh is a free hit,  they way they're playing right now, if we get a point out of the game it's a bonus. Them, Plop and Chelsea are streets ahead so far this season. 

With Gerrard, you can see how he has us set up, midfield has improved massively in terms of work rate and shape. Very early days but, encouraging signs so far.

Most teams are not in great form. I think is only the top 5 have won 3 or more in their last 5. There is an opportunity for us to move up the table. Well maybe apart from on Wednesday.

2 hours ago, PussEKatt said:

Dont forget that in the SPL if he was not playing against Celtic then he probably didnt actually need any subs at all.I mean I cant see Rangers having to bring on 1/2 subs to change the game against P.Thistle,Montrose,Kilmarnock,St Johnstone,St Mirren,etc etc etc.

Probably didn't bother using all 11 from the start. 

• Haha 2

On 27/11/2021 at 17:02, Jareth said:

A very excellent performance and result, should have been more than 2-1. SG - he's got no experience - he's only managed in Scotland - well I am happy to say I was wrong, he has changed this team from the get-go, made these players look the real deal - and what a bench of unused players. Top stuff. 

But you wasn't wrong.....He has to gain experience and He he has only managed in Scotland, so you was right.....but I was looking past that, with my initial comments on him.

what I would respectfully say is.....Look at his other attributes for solace.....His makeup, is so impressive, thats where i got my inspiration from and why, I think he will be good for us....you can tell when he speaks, he's a driver, and I think the players have responded to it positively.

Its a great start and I can see real substance, in the things, I saw missing from the team.....but its a hard road and there will be set backs, but I am confident, we have the man to ride those bumps out.

I am also impressed with how much store, he puts in to his backroom staff, he doesn't seem to miss a trick.

Praise to Purslow too, for choosing him.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, PussEKatt said:

Dont forget that in the SPL if he was not playing against Celtic then he probably didnt actually need any subs at all.I mean I cant see Rangers having to bring on 1/2 subs to change the game against P.Thistle,Montrose,Kilmarnock,St Johnstone,St Mirren,etc etc etc.

only two of them are actually in the SPL

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, IrishVilla10 said:

Living in Glasgow my conversations with Rangers fans are now a lot more interesting. Now they’ve got their new manager in I think things have started to settle after an unexpected few weeks for them. I spoke to a few lads in a pub after Rangers cup loss last week and one offered me his £400 6 foot Gerrard cutout lol 

So are you gonna tell us how the conversations have changed? I'm guessing they're missing him and seeing him in a better light now?

17 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

So are you gonna tell us how the conversations have changed? I'm guessing they're missing him and seeing him in a better light now?

Just had a quick look on the rangers forum. And you would not believe it. GvB has restored energy and made tweaks to the formation that has made them much much better. Players look far happier now and it was obvious that standards had dropped under Gerrard and he had become stale and not as motivated as he was previously. 

You could cut n paste ir couldn't you and describe exactly whats happened here 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, MWARLEY2 said:

Just had a quick look on the rangers forum. And you would not believe it. GvB has restored energy and made tweaks to the formation that has made them much much better. Players look far happier now and it was obvious that standards had dropped under Gerrard and he had become stale and not as motivated as he was previously. 

And at Norwich 😂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Tom13 said:

It’s been a mixed bag so far. Some happy for what he achieved. Some will quote the 1 trophy in 9 stat. Most seem happy with Van Bronckhorst now. I’ve heard someone say his wife was off the rails and he needed to get back to England because of that, genuinely. I think the worst part of it was the timing of the interview when he said he was happy and then left soon after. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MWARLEY2 said:

Another poster mentored it on here that after a while players stop listening to managers or falling for their motivational techniques. It might be why form plummets for no apparent reason after a few good seasons (e.g Leicester). A new face and a slightly different approach to training makes all the difference in the short term before the cycle begins again. 

9 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

Another poster mentored it on here that after a while players stop listening to managers or falling for their motivational techniques. It might be why form plummets for no apparent reason after a few good seasons (e.g Leicester). A new face and a slightly different approach to training makes all the difference in the short term before the cycle begins again. 

John Terry said that last week. I think it has facts especially if its not a team that is winning trophies

10 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

I guess that if you arent winning things its harder to motivate the players. Because theres no tangibles to judge yourself against . Seems that a successful manager winning stuff is able to keep his players sharper or it might be that the better managers are better at inspiring over a longer period of time. 

Leicester gettimg 5th for 2 seasons in a row and missing Chumps League i guess is very hard in terms of getting them to go again with the same amount of focus and vigour, both for the manager and the players. 

I think the talk about things going stale after a few years is 100% the manager's fault. Yes, players will get complacent but it is the manger's responsibility to oversee this. Players must not be permitted to get into their comfort zone and they should be sold. The squad needs to be constantly refreshed and if so, the stale feeling will never happen. Gerrard will; need to sell players in the next couple of years that Villa fans think should not be sold. The likes of Mings, McGinn, Targett and Luiz will need to be moved out with hungrier upgrades brought in

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

I think the talk about things going stale after a few years is 100% the manager's fault. Yes, players will get complacent but it is the manger's responsibility to oversee this. Players must not be permitted to get into their comfort zone and they should be sold. The squad needs to be constantly refreshed and if so, the stale feeling will never happen. Gerrard will; need to sell players in the next couple of years that Villa fans think should not be sold. The likes of Mings, McGinn, Targett and Luiz will need to be moved out with hungrier upgrades brought in

I think being “nice” can get you so far, pick a team up, but it doesn’t last for long, you have to be hard nosed and focused. That means hard decisions and upsetting people: conflict, and there can only be one winner - the Manager. I am not sure Smith had quite developed that side and once a few under performed he struggled to get them all back, Mings being dropped was the final straw. It should never have got to that.

6 hours ago, Peter Griffin said:

The squad needs to be constantly refreshed and if so, the stale feeling will never happen. Gerrard will; need to sell players in the next couple of years that Villa fans think should not be sold. The likes of Mings, McGinn, Targett and Luiz will need to be moved out with hungrier upgrades brought in

All parts of this are oversimplistic. High turnover of players is unlikely to foster team spirit.

I’m not against selling players if they underperform over a long period or become complacent/arrogant/toxic and I don’t think we should keep fringe players on high wages but I also think we should value those who genuinely care about our club, put in huge amounts of effort, are positive dressing room influences, are fine ambassadors for us. Treating players like they’re commodities to be disposed of at the drop of the hat will not breed a good culture at the club.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, MWARLEY2 said:

Yet they were top of the league 

It's easy to get carried away after 2 wins and the new manager bump. City always tough, Leicester looked to be back Vs Watford and Liverpool are bang in form. Going to be a tough month still not to mention Chelsea on Boxing Day.

And whilst I know all of this, part of me is also wondering where we'll be after beating all of City, Leicester and Liverpool.

It's similar to any job really I'd imagine. Similar stuff happens in the computing world. You're excited about working on a new technology, the management give you everything you need to do well and it's all great for a while. As time goes by, the technology gets superceded, you get a bit bored, some things start to break a bit, and you want to work on something new. You either get a new job or a new manager comes in and suggests changing the tech stack to modernise and update and you feel happier again. Doesn't mean the manager is better or worse than the previous one, it's just a change, and often it's for the best in the short term.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, HalfTimePost said:

It's easy to get carried away after 2 wins and the new manager bump. City always tough, Leicester looked to be back Vs Watford and Liverpool are bang in form. Going to be a tough month still not to mention Chelsea on Boxing Day.

And whilst I know all of this, part of me is also wondering where we'll be after beating all of City, Leicester and Liverpool.

Really don't think this is just a new manager bounce.

We are legit more organized and structured.

We are a lot harder to break down.

This is coaching. Not a manager bounce.

Will get even better after he get a full pre season with the team. Think we can expect great things next season.

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â