Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

2 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Disagree - it's the same tactics and philosophy we've had for a fair old while. 

Not quite perhaps, because the earlier “philosophy” had brought us just over 1 point per match in 2021 and a disastrous run of 5 defeats. Maybe I’m hallucinating but I’m sure tactics-wise we were stuck on 5-3-2 and Gerrard changed to 4-3-3?

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, lexicon said:

I did - I do feel that I was perhaps being a little harsh, but my immediate reaction was that the formation and team selection he put out was pretty much exactly the same as we'd seen this season, so nothing new, and the performance we saw was basically what we knew the players were capable of already based on last season. The increased performance levels could've been a result of them snapping back to reality having had their previous manager, who they all seemed to like/respect, being sacked. 

This is all very much Devil's advocate, I'll admit, but the new team have only had a week to work with the players and the new manager bounce is often expected.

As I posted in this thread earlier, it's very early days and far too soon to judge the new manager and his team either way but it was a good start. 

If you are comparing Gerrard's performance to last year's results as opposed to this year's and he gets an 'Average' as it was the same tactics and players does that mean that Deano was only 'Average' last year when he was winning? I like the fact you are setting the bar high for our managers but I think it may be a little too high 

13 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

Lol, think we did a bit more than “test” him after 80 minutes!

You must have dozed off earlier for saves from Matty Cash 12 minutes, Mings 40 minutes, Mings 47 minutes.

If that’s the best effort for the prosecution of “rookie” Steven Gerrard, I’ll rest my case.

I was wondering myself, as i'm sure we started pretty emphatically and had at least one very early chance.

• Like 1

I think players nowadays believe that all managers/head coaches have a 2-3 year limit and after a while, they basically stop listening to them. A new guy come in with different ideas and approaches and they start to listen, at least for a while. Most footballers are not the sharpest tools in the box.

33 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

I think players nowadays believe that all managers/head coaches have a 2-3 year limit and after a while, they basically stop listening to them. 

Pretty much what Shearer said about the Man U players and OGS on MotD. He said he was speaking from experience...  :)

• Like 1

Really interesting to listen to Stephen Warnock talk about our philosophy under Gerrard and how the defending has changed.

Gerrard has implemented changes very quickly to make sure Villa keep their organisation and shape at the back so the midfield are pressing Brighton's wide players rather than our full backs which opens up space in behind for their runners.

Showed a few clips of the game, really insightful stuff.

Tactical awareness of the new management team to know exactly the strength of Brighton and how to counter that.

Edited by Zhan_Zhuang
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Really interesting to listen to Stephen Warnock talk about our philosophy under Gerrard and how the defending has changed.

Gerrard has implemented changes very quickly to make sure Villa keep their organisation and shape at the back so the midfield are pressing Brighton's wide players rather than our full backs which opens up space in behind for their runners.

Showed a few clips of the game, really insightful stuff.

Tactical awareness of the new management team to know exactly the strength of Brighton and how to counter that.

I wonder if this will be the tactic in general or just because they play a 3-5-2? 

7 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I wonder if this will be the tactic in general or just because they play a 3-5-2? 

I suppose it depends on the opposition.

However our midfield will need to be quicker and more efficient at pressing, it's a high-energy way of playing. Exactly the same way Gerrard played, tenacious and direct whilst out of possession.

On the basis of one game and only two training sessions Gerrard seems to have changed our set-up positively and again I'm enthused to see how this develops.

Tough match against Palace coming up but we certainly won't be scared by them.

19 hours ago, sidcow said:

Yeah, can't believe he didn't manage to instill that with 2 training days with the majority of the squad. Fraud. 

hats off to this comment.

the accelerationism of our modern times produces interesting takes for sure.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Indigo said:

I know we all love the romantic idea of dynasties being built at clubs but the reality is that even high-performing managers tend to only get a few seasons at best out of squads before things start to go stale

I think it is really important for managers to continue to freshen up the squad and to not be afraid to sell players that are regular 1st team players. This helps the club financially but also keeps the squad from going stale. Its not an easy task doing this and the DOF needs to be good.

1 hour ago, IrishVilla10 said:

It’s clear to see there’s been a change, wether you want to see it or not is up to you 

For me its not too dissimilar from before but crucially the players seemed to have more fire which has been lacking in recent weeks. Is it confidence or attitude I am not really sure

• Like 2

5 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

I think players nowadays believe that all managers/head coaches have a 2-3 year limit and after a while, they basically stop listening to them. A new guy come in with different ideas and approaches and they start to listen, at least for a while. Most footballers are not the sharpest tools in the box.

tbf neither are most fans ;)

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

For me its not too dissimilar from before but crucially the players seemed to have more fire which has been lacking in recent weeks. Is it confidence or attitude I am not really sure

Before Saturday we were 5th from bottom in pressing and Brighton 5th from top. On Saturday we out pressed them. That’s quite a big change in a short period of time. 

• Like 4

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â