Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

2 hours ago, jimmygreaves said:

Nope.... I'm simply trying to be pragmatic. Gerrard's done well in a 2 team league.

For contrast Alex McCleish, remember him, won the lot with Rangers. Moved down to England and all but guaranteed relegation to any team he looked after.

People talk about Gerrard being a winner and demanding high levels from his players. In which case why didn't we appoint, say, Roy Keane. He's won more as a player and surely wouldn't settle for second best from his squad. Dare I suggest, he'd win leagues and cups in Scotland with his eyes shut.

Look, I get it, Gerrard's a big name. I hope he develops into the next Ferguson, Clough, Wenger, etc... and we reap the benefits of an era of cup wins and challenging in the league. 

For me, he's still very much an unknown entity as a premier league manager. It could go either way. I hope the appointment is a massive success, but I have reservations. It's a risky appointment.

For the record, I like many others, couldn't give a toss if he's from Liverpool, Birmingham City or Jupiter FC, if it gives us success all the better.

We shall see won't we.

Aaaahhhh Jupiter FC, now they were on a different planet.

Gerrard needs time, the players need time. It's the not knowing that makes it exciting for me. 

Performance was ok yesterday, probably the best we could have hoped for, the result and clean sheet was the important thing.

I dont care where he's from or who he played for, if he gets this squad performing then I'll be happy.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, tom_avfc said:

He got a win based on the improvements made to our defence. In reality a lot of our success last year was due to the defence being tight.

If we keep a clean sheet we’ll win most games as it’s rare that the attacking talent we have won’t get a goal against most teams in the league.

Makes the decision to mess around with a back 3 and to drop Mings seem all the more bizarre. Our regular back 5 from last season is up there with the best in the league and if we can build from that then I don’t think we’ll go far wrong.

They were indeed - as a unit, taken individually, I hope we improve enough to feel we can step up another level and to upgrade some of them as we go along. The contribution and the effect Emi Martinez had on our defence cannot be understated, he is the key and is irreplaceable, the rest need to up it and be on it every minute of every game. Yesterday was a very good start for the defence.

He's only had a week and tbh, we know that the players can play like that because we'd seen it last season when we played well. The real plus is that the players were switched on and fighting again - whether that was down to being shocked into reality by the Smith sacking or the work that Gerrard and his team have done already remains to be seen. 

It's too early to judge right now, either way, but the signs are positive and if he channels the new manager bounce in the right way, we'll be fine. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, tom_avfc said:

He got a win based on the improvements made to our defence. In reality a lot of our success last year was due to the defence being tight.

If we keep a clean sheet we’ll win most games as it’s rare that the attacking talent we have won’t get a goal against most teams in the league.

Makes the decision to mess around with a back 3 and to drop Mings seem all the more bizarre. Our regular back 5 from last season is up there with the best in the league and if we can build from that then I don’t think we’ll go far wrong.

It sound very cliche and basic but it was fundamental basic that we were missing if you can stay in a game and keep a clean sheet then you have a chance, we have platform to build  on the coming weeks from here now, again it sounds like a post match interview saying the same thing as everyone else but it is actually the case in our scenario 

15 minutes ago, lexicon said:

He's only had a week and tbh, we know that the players can play like that because we'd seen it last season when we played well. The real plus is that the players were switched on and fighting again - whether that was down to being shocked into reality by the Smith sacking or the work that Gerrard and his team have done already remains to be seen. 

It's too early to judge right now, either way, but the signs are positive and if he channels the new manager bounce in the right way, we'll be fine. 

We have a good squad personality.

They'll put it in.

Anyone else glad we didn't go for Potter now? 😂

I wanted us to go for him but yesterday was pretty boring. They were excellent at times in terms of organisation, discipline and the ability to win the ball back - but there was very little creativity or magic in that side. 

• Like 1

Wouldn't have minded Potter, I think he could do some amazing things with better players.

But there would be a greater chance of us going down IMO. Gerrard has said we're going to tighten it up first thing, that's what we needed.

• Like 1

I was encouraged by the way he gave regular reminders about shape and positioning throughout the game. His vocal coaching and hand gestures were a definite plus, as was his energetic body language on the touchline which must have lifted players as they started to tire.

A few hard weeks of physical conditioning and embedding more tactical fluidity at BMH will pay dividends. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Anyone else glad we didn't go for Potter now? 😂

I wanted us to go for him but yesterday was pretty boring. They were excellent at times in terms of organisation, discipline and the ability to win the ball back - but there was very little creativity or magic in that side. 

A million times yes. Goal scoring for them has been a problem for about 3 seasons. And you can see why. That slow ponderous build up - sideways passing uggggh. Might get lots of plaudits - but entertainment it isn't.

Without exception the only time they caused any problems was when they injected a bit of pace.

Stevie G has a way to go for me personally. But have to say I was pleasantly surprised yesterday. Subs won us the game - and his post match summary was spot on.

3 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Who are these people?

I'd do well to find specific examples given this thread has 153 pages, but there's one or two of them in there as I'm sure folk will remember that were literally worded more or less as that.

I was/am skeptical of the appointment myself but there was some next level stuff going on.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Indigo said:

I'd do well to find specific examples given this thread has 153 pages, but there's one or two of them in there as I'm sure folk will remember that were literally worded more or less as that.

I was/am skeptical of the appointment myself but there was some next level stuff going on.

If you cannot give us examples, then they don't exist. 😁

• Haha 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â