Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

7 minutes ago, greyvillan said:

Love to know what the new rules are that Ollie Watkins has mentioned?

No Ketchup. It’s sent ripples through the squad, and they’re now taking it all very seriously. John McGinn’s VO2 is up 33% after just 3 days abstinence and Tyrone Mings’ attitude changed overnight. It’s quite remarkable.

• Haha 4

5 minutes ago, YouUnastanFren said:

The team showed what in my opinion is the most important things to see in the first game under the new management: Effort and commitment.

On this evidence the squad seem to have bought in 100% to this regime which will give it the best possible chance of success. Even the players who didn't play particularly well (mainly Buendia) seemed to be trying really **** hard.

Hopefully we can see them get back on that upward trajectory we were on.

It's certainly very positive..

I am looking forward to Palace now and see how Gerrard and his team bring this style of play on with hopefully more success seen from the likes of Buendia.

3 minutes ago, a m ole said:

No Ketchup. It’s sent ripples through the squad, and they’re now taking it all very seriously. John McGinn’s VO2 is up 33% after just 3 days abstinence and Tyrone Mings’ attitude changed overnight. It’s quite remarkable.

Is this for real btw? I ask because Peter Crouch mentions a ketchup ban in his autobiography. Can’t remember who implemented it (maybe Benitez?). 

1 minute ago, Spoony said:

Is this for real btw? I ask because Peter Crouch mentions a ketchup ban in his autobiography. Can’t remember who implemented it (maybe Benitez?). 

Apparently it is true from Birmingham Mail. Conte has done similar at Spurs 

This is just a general impression from the outside looking in, but one thing I like about Gerrard is although he has very high standards, he doesn’t seem to have that thing some elite players have where they fawn over the gifted players, and treat the less gifted players as inferior people.

Think often the problem with elite players who go into management is they can’t set realistic expectations, so it’s all or nothing… if you’re not good enough, they just give up on you. Souness and Keane are the classic examples of this mentality.

Maybe helps that Gerrard was often playing with much weaker players at Liverpool, and has a better understanding of how to carry them along with you.

Would love it if he turns Nakamba into a solid PL player, for example. That would be a real achievement.

• Like 3

Interesting comments from Ollie:

The standards have gone up under Gerrard'

FT: Aston Villa 2-0 Brighton

f6ea3c69-98f2-4657-9128-35fca1ac6b38.jpg

Aston Villa

Aston Villa striker Ollie Watkins to Match of the Day: “It was nice. I try and do that every time in training and luckily it went in today. It was a nice feeling to get my first goal in front of the Holte End.

“Brighton must have had 65% possession - they are a very good team and controlled the game. It was hard for us because it was the first game back after some results. It was nice to see the game out after losing a 2-0 lead against Wolves the other week.

“It has been a change but it has been really good. It has been intense and the standards have gone up - that is no disrespect to Dean Smith but he’s brought in some new rules and everybody was on it.

“I’ll be here all day if I was to say the rules - there are quite a few.”

FB_IMG_1637439161395.jpg

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

This is just a general impression from the outside looking in, but one thing I like about Gerrard is although he has very high standards, he doesn’t seem to have that thing some elite players have where they fawn over the gifted players, and treat the less gifted players as inferior people.

Think often the problem with elite players who go into management is they can’t set realistic expectations, so it’s all or nothing… if you’re not good enough, they just give up on you. Souness and Keane are the classic examples of this mentality.

Maybe helps that Gerrard was often playing with much weaker players at Liverpool, and has a better understanding of how to carry them along with you.

Would love it if he turns Nakamba into a solid PL player, for example. That would be a real achievement.

If Nakamba ever scores a Premier League goal then they both deserve a statue at VP

• Haha 2

Even though we were all mostly cynical about a character like Gerrard before he signed with us it is noticeable what a buzz he brings with him.

He is obviously highly regarded in the game and the hype that surrounds him gives an energy and engagement all of its own.

I imagine the players are feeding off that right now. 

45 minutes ago, Spoony said:

yes i have seen Gerrard mention it in an interview, that the ketchup went even before Gerrard said it had to go (ie: his coaches started the "ban ketchup" ball rolling immediately).

1 hour ago, blandy said:

This is the Gerrard thread, not Dean Smith, nor the post match reaction thread. Please stay on topic (happy) Villans. Ta.

Boss, you lot have seriously got to do something about the reaction count.

Especiall on matchdays I'm almost out before half time, no matter how I pace 😔

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Peter Griffin said:

I think that is very much needed at Villa. Smith was the right man at the right time. But I think he was probably too nice and too friendly with the players to be able to drive them forward to a higher level. 

Yep, telling that players are mentioning positive changes already.

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â