Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

11 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

Lange said they Interviewed 3 other candidates and chose Gerrard as he was far superior to the rest. It would be interesting to know who they were... But deep down part of me knows it was Joe Kinnear, Dwight Yorke and Dennis Wise. 

Lampard was linked too today but if true then I am worried if that was half the shortlist

3 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Seriously who gives a shit what the truth is about how we recruited Gerrard and what the plan was. Also what they tell us. You lot act like you’re shareholders and have some massive investment in the club. All that matters is what happens on the pitch. F**k the rest of it. 

There is a narrative being spun which is attempting to say that there was a selection process after Smith when in truth there was none. I am worried that we are being treated like fools - when we are not fools. It does not bode well.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, est1874 said:

Simply untrue. I've done it myself in less, and that was without losing sleep. Got the job too.

It's generally an exercise in gathering stuff you already have in other formats / presentations (modern football management does involve classroom-style work too, you know).

If you know your shit and you're good at what you do, you don't need more than a few hours of hard work to put together something concise and yet powerful.

Same...  Modifying existing templates/gathering information from previous projects you've done is a huge part of this.  Apparently Brendan Rodgers showed up to his Liverpool interview with a 180 slide presentation on the direction he wanted to take the club in and ended up getting the job for the same reason Gerrard apparently got the Villa job, for doing his homework.  

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Lampard was linked too today but if true then I am worried if that was half the shortlist

Rumor on Twitter is that the four were Gerrard, Roberto Martinez, Kasper Hjulmand, and Frank Lampard.  The rumor mill said Lampard was apparently underwhelming in their initial conversation and did not bother to speak to him again.  

10 minutes ago, KMitch said:

The rumor mill said Lampard was apparently underwhelming in their initial conversation and did not bother to speak to him again.  

Why does that not surprise me

Edited by Tom13
  • Haha 1

If there were 20 people after the job,  it takes a few hours of someone's time to narrow that list of CVs down to a few preferable candidates.

Assuming those candidates don't have a calendar that involves 15 zoom calls a day, a private life that requires them to look after the kids through till bedtime, and a genuine desire to get the job,  it would be a piece of piss to schedule 4 interviews with those candidates across 4 working days. Footballers and managers do not live in the same world as every day people.

The fact Gerrard shone brighter than the other 3 says more about his desire to get the role than anything else. That goes a long way to me having faith that he will at least try his best.  And based on the limited evidence we have from his time in Scotland, his best is not bad. Combine those two factors with his innate determination and you're on to a promising thing. Assuming that the interview also demonstrated a level of ability that they were after and there is no reason to think we screwed up. 

Let's see how it goes before casting judgement.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, KMitch said:

Rumor on Twitter is that the four were Gerrard, Roberto Martinez, Kasper Hjulmand, and Frank Lampard.  The rumor mill said Lampard was apparently underwhelming in their initial conversation and did not bother to speak to him again.  

Lsmpard will bomb out of management sooner rather than later. 

1 hour ago, KMitch said:

How and why the holy **** would we have chosen those 4 to be on the shortlist?  Eastie on here knew it was Gerrard a day before Dean was sacked.  It was always Gerrard, because of Purslow being his number 1 fan.  Maybe he gave the other 3 as options to Wes and Nassef as a token gesture to back it up.  Let's just hope it isn't a monumental cock up.  He was at least a winner as a player, like Steve Bruce was with Man Utd.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KMitch said:

Think Hjulmand was only on the list as Lange’s favoured candidate and he had already more or less ruled himself out because he has got Denmark to the World Cup finals.

Wonder how Martinez did?

32 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

How and why the holy **** would we have chosen those 4 to be on the shortlist?  Eastie on here knew it was Gerrard a day before Dean was sacked.  It was always Gerrard, because of Purslow being his number 1 fan.  Maybe he gave the other 3 as options to Wes and Nassef as a token gesture to back it up.  Let's just hope it isn't a monumental cock up.  He was at least a winner as a player, like Steve Bruce was with Man Utd.

Because Aston Villa isn't attractive enough a prospect to managers with a higher pedigree than those 4.

9 hours ago, gwi1890 said:

Then why is between 8-9 am the most busy times on the road? Yes people work night shift and work a rota but for crying out loud a footballer turning up to training for 9.30 am or 10am isn’t much to ask? Surely it would be better for their well being not staying up late playing cod? Instilling a bit of discipline and going to bed early because “I have to get up early for work tomorrow “ isn’t much to ask?

Playing COD you say? Well that would suggest that there has been somefin fishy going on. I just hope it’s not on a large scale and we don’t suffer a net loss as a result. I’m sure the press will be trawling the depths to fish something out on this. You know what it’s like when the sharks start to circle. 

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, briny_ear said:

The content of Gerrard’s PowerPoint presentation is irrelevant to that. Not good to overthink these things.

Could you explain this in depth please? Perhaps it would be best to break it down into a few main bullet points and then deal with these individual items in more detail. I’m not even sure if PowerPoint is still the go to presentation software these days, but it might be an idea to cover this as a starting point and then expand from there in more detail. 

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Because Aston Villa isn't attractive enough a prospect to managers with a higher pedigree than those 4.

Lucien Favre nearly joined Crystal Palace, Fonseca has been selling himself to any Premier League club that is looking and Van Bronckhorst just went to Rangers 

Thats just 3 for a start with better CVs. 

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â