Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

Let's see if he can turn our form around and watch how the team responds after the honeymoon period is over.  Will be interesting to see how he responds to an injury crisis or when we hit the next bad run of form.  It's all just talk at the moment.  

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Jareth said:

I admire the ambition, but if we are to become a possession based team, we might need a fair few new players. 

Not sure, but we definitely need to increase our movement about the pitch and running into passing positions for the player currently in possession. I think that our current crop of players are more than capable of doing this.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, osmark86 said:

Not sure, but we definitely need to increase our movement about the pitch and running into passing positions for the player currently in possession. I think that our current crop of players are more than capable of doing this.

I think you may be right. We have pacey players who should be able to initiate off ball runs, plus our passing at times has not been the best. Slowing the movement of the ball by moving away from a rapid counter, and playing more to feet might actually suit us, counterintuitively. 

Can't say I'm a fan of possession for possession's sake myself, but let's see how he implements it. Could be easy on the eye potentially. Buendia could be important in that kind of system, as he can pick out a final ball.  

• Like 1

I liked what I heard. Its just what this group needs now someone to push them harder than they have been lately. Things have stagnated and change was needed and I already have faith in these coaches who come with good reputations, aswell as Gerrard himself who will demand excellence and wont shy away from any difficult decisions.

Excited to see how the youngsters get integrated into the first team, think they will get a few more chances than they were getting PL wise. If McGinn is stinking out the place for example like he can do, I dont think there’ll be any hesitations in giving Carney a chance to oust him. Comfort zones are a terrible thing in life and too many looked like they were firmly parked in comfort mode for me since that Utd win. That reflects just as badly on the manager as it does the players, these 5 losses have hardly come against the creme de la creme, and we werent getting a response. A big shake up was needed and Gerrard is the right character to get in this situation. The players should be inspired and excited about this new dawn. I thought Purslow was good in that interview too. He makes the club sound bigger than it probably is at present but I love that. We need to strive for excellence again and everyone from the top down want that for this club again.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HKP90 said:

I think you may be right. We have pacey players who should be able to initiate off ball runs, plus our passing at times has not been the best. Slowing the movement of the ball by moving away from a rapid counter, and playing more to feet might actually suit us, counterintuitively. 

Can't say I'm a fan of possession for possession's sake myself, but let's see how he implements it. Could be easy on the eye potentially. Buendia could be important in that kind of system, as he can pick out a final ball.  

I'm no fan of possession for possession's sake either, but we have to increase our ability to slow the pace down from time to time and regain shape. Lately this has been practically impossible for us and we've seen awful possession stats that can't really be motivated by "well we created a lot of dangerous counters while doing so".

Being able to slowly move the ball forward is just as important imo than quickly turning the pace of play. If anything this resetting of shape allows us to initiate aggressive forward runs too setting us up for explosive attacks. We have some very pacey players that could benefit from this and they wouldn't be completely marked out if we didn't panic pass to them so often as we've been doing.

I'm all for it atm tbh.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

First thing I hope to see is a stop to our telegraphed kick off tactic of passing it back to the midfield, and then lumping it toward the corner flag like we trying to gain ground in a rugby match.

In fact, I hope we only resort to lumping it forward when absolutely necessary.

What I don't understand is that we gradually seemed to get more direct and less progressive as time went on with Smith. Why? Lambert was similar IIRC.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, sidcow said:

Crikey, they sound like they are Baggies level obsessed.  Fancy taking the time out of your day to watch an ex managers press conference?

giphy.gif

how do you imbed gifs?, i cant seem to make it work?!

Good presser. Didn't tip his hand in terms of tactical plans. Said all the right things again. Didn't know that he had to interview for the job, thought it was just offered to him outright. He holds his own quite well for a young manager in his first PL job. Clearly not phased by the pressure. The proof will be in the pudding, but it looks promising.

Deano has moved on and has bounced right back with a new job. So time to fully embrace the Gerrard era. It feels like standards are being raised and greater demands put on player accountability. Can't wait to see how it all plays out on the pitch.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

how do you imbed gifs?, i cant seem to make it work?!

Copy link and paste from Giphy.com or use the virtual keyboard on your phone/tablet with the giff icon

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â