Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

Just now, OutByEaster? said:

It is - it's probably 11th. There's something about Purslow that says to me he thinks this squad should be in the top 6 - if that's the case it's dangerous for the new manager and it's a message that the new owners might well be swallowing. To compete for the top six, we need another half a dozen players of real quality.

No way of knowing that really. The only evidence we have is that they think it should be better than 1 point per game, but he clearly has high standards.

I like the way he spoke about the youth setup, what a player needs to do if they want to get into the 1st 11 and also that we will see a different approach against Brighton. I know it is a presser and there are soundbites we will expect but he is coming across very well

He speaks well, he's got a voice that doesn't really carry much excitement, but the words are there, he speaks very well on a lot of subjects. It's positive and what comes through is his determination.

He's done a good job here as well of politely answering but closing down the Liverpool questions.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Purslow worries me - he thinks this squad is a lot better than it is.

Interesting point I heard made today is "There was always going to be regression this year. It was really disappointing to hear Purslow [while justifying sacking Smith] say we didn't show the continuous progression year on year, because that would make you worry about his understanding of football. We've signed 3 players but we lost Jack Grealish ffs, and only one of those players can take his position on the pitch and Buendia/Watkins/Bailey is so far below Grealish/Watkins/Traore it's not even funny. The talk of pushing for Europe is absolute bollocks with this squad (without a midfielder). Purslow talking about continuous improvement I hope was either clumsy phrasing or just reaching for a justification he didn't need. Otherwise Purslow might be a psycopath" :)

6 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

It is - it's probably 11th. There's something about Purslow that says to me he thinks this squad should be in the top 6 - if that's the case it's dangerous for the new manager and it's a message that the new owners might well be swallowing. To compete for the top six, we need another half a dozen players of real quality.

I think Martinez, Luiz, Ings, Konsa are the only players I am confident could reach that top 6 level.

I have questions if McGinn, Mings, Watkins, Bailey or Buendia are near that yet. 

But, if we have a manager that we hope we do, and the above mentioned 5 produce consistent performances, I think that our team is good enough for a top8 finish.

Give us a couple more solid transfer windows Mr Purslow and some real backing to Gerrard and we are not that far off where we want to be. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I agree, they think this squad is better than midtable, which even on paper it isn’t.

Again, like his earlier interview I am enthused and confident again.

Gerrard knows the enormity of the job and it was palpable however he thrives on it. When asked why he was keen to be in a high-pressure role like Rangers and Villa he discussed his love for high-intensity playing and wants to take that into management.

It was alluded to earlier but Villa have been crying out for this for so long: high-intensity, desire and a bit of bite to our play. We need to be a nasty b****** of a team.

6 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

I think Martinez, Luiz, Ings, Konsa are the only players I am confident could reach that top 6 level.

I have questions if McGinn, Mings, Watkins, Bailey or Buendia are near that yet. 

But, if we have a manager that we hope we do, and the above mentioned 5 produce consistent performances, I think that our team is good enough for a top8 finish.

Give us a couple more solid transfer windows Mr Purslow and some real backing to Gerrard and we are not that far off where we want to be. 

That's the list I came up with recently too, could even be harsh on Luiz on my off days. Work to be done.

1 minute ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Gerrard knows the enormity of the job and it was palpable however he thrives on it. When asked why he was keen to be in a high-pressure role like Rangers and Villa he discussed his love for high-intensity playing and wants to take that into management.

It was alluded to earlier but Villa have been crying out for this for so long: high-intensity, desire and a bit of bite to our play. We need to be a nasty b****** of a team.

1 minute ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Doubly enthused!

I like it!

15 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Hope that answer puts to bed the ‘Purslow’s got his mate in’. Probably not though. 

Nah, that was just to try and squash it.  That didn’t land for me.

• Like 1

Another good interview.  I don’t expect less from him to be honest, could see some nerves at the beginning but he settled quickly.  He’s good at these, answered as I expected, gave the strength and confidence I expected.  The media got their sound bites they wanted.  We learnt nothing new but we didn’t expect to. All in all, a good interview.  Purslow worries me a bit and I’m sure Lange is a robot.

• Like 4

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â