Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

12 hours ago, picicata said:

I nearly ran over David Cameron just before he became PM. Just think, if I hadn't braked so quickly we might not have had to go through all that Brexit shit.

just as well you did miss him ,then...as they say "Alls well, that ends well"

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, barry'sboots said:

One trophy in nine does not tell the story though does it? He has come to Rangers when they are a million miles behind Celtic and not only caught them up but gone past them. In doing so, he has cut the number of goals conceded from 50+ to 13 I believe. He has also been competitive in the Europa League.

I do accept that he is not a Klopp or Tuchel, but there are very few managers around like that who guarantee success. People rave about Pep but he has always had the best side - from a Barca with Messi, Xavi, Iniesta, Busquets etc. (I think is could win a CL with those players), to a strong Bayern, to the already strong Citeh with £'ms to spend, so I'm not sure even he would bring guaranteed success to the Villa?

Personally I wanted Potter because I like him, he plays good football and he is from the area - but that is also why I wanted Deano and that didn't end up working out so well when his weaknesses became apparent. Gerard is a born winner and will command instant respect/set standards.  He clearly knows how to organise a team and has a playing philosophy that should suit/play to our strengths.

As for his links to Plop, any manager that does well with Villa/can take us to the next level would get linked to a big 6 club or a European giant and money/ambition talks (as we have seen with Jack - although his move appears to be driven by a desire for Manc totty!😜), But Gerard would probably only leave for Plop and that requires them having a gap so maybe even more secure than most?

I for one am excited about his appointment!

Me too.....right from the outset, as soon as the candidates, where announced, there was only one for me....sure there are some with more experience, but I was more interested in whats inside the man.

I think the Liverpool thing might be overstated....His wife is happy, with coming to us ( which is important) and He was in a pressure cooker up there.....we just need to let things unfold naturally, don't under estimate the lure of Aston Villa....He might grow to have more affection for us than some bargain for.....Paul McGrath a good example.

Edited by TRO

2 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Lambert managed to get 3 pre seasons and we got progressively worse each time.

but that was poor management from above to allow that.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

I like the fact that Gerrard is to be unveiled at 11am. What is he, a statue?, a conceptual piece of post modern art?

Modern football isn't it. 

Let's catwalk Gerrard for everyone to see and make him dance and sing. 

- But we already know it's Gerrard?

- Yeah, but Instagram and southern Asian likes. 

- Ok cool.

1 hour ago, Sulberto21 said:

Realistically he can’t be judged until he’s had at least 2 pre seasons. The quickest aspect he can change is the mindset of players.

right now probably the most important too.....There has been no time to change much, but the mentality shift is only something we can hope for.

8 minutes ago, TRO said:

Me too.....right from the outset, as soon as the candidates, where announced, there was only one for me.

Now you must be on the wind up mate? From the outset, of all the names…. that you wanted Gerrard.  I respect you mate but I don’t believe that.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

So what will the first presser be like. Will it be...

Great squad, European Champions, great stadium and fans. Looking forward to starting and pushing up the league. Haven't discussed transfers for Jan and just focusing on the great players we have for the moment...

or

Some real weaknesses in the squad, particularly in midfield and will need to spend 70m in Jan. Can't understand what idiot bought so many attacking players and I am still deciding which of Ings or Watkins will be benched as they clearly can't play together. You won't see too many changes other than I will play the players in their preferred positions and if they can't show up for the first half of games they will be dropped and sold

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

Modern football isn't it. 

Let's catwalk Gerrard for everyone to see and make him dance and sing. 

- But we already know it's Gerrard?

- Yeah, but Instagram and southern Asian likes. 

- Ok cool.

I sometimes wonder who it’s all for.  This craving because we know what will be asked, what his answers are going to be.  There must be a real audience for this but who? I’ll end up watching but only because it’s there but I’m not bothered either way.  Is it younger audience that loves it? Is there a certain foreign audience that love it more than others?  Is it just the media that wants it for clicks for their articles?

I’m like most on here for my love of the Villa, my whole life and Season Ticket holder but the clamour for these kind of things baffles me because they never tell you anything anyway.

2 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

He’s banned tomato ketchup lol.

I reckon the late starts are going to be scrapped.

According to Gregg Evans this was borne out of Mike Lubb not being much of a morning person. He would arrive at 10.29am and be the last to leave, so they changed the start time to accommodate him. 

But it was Gregg Evans. 

2 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

No tomato sauce. Good thinking - get rid of red stuff, concentrate on the job at hand.

It's an interesting detail that gives a bit of an insight.

Purslow worries me - he thinks this squad is a lot better than it is.

It is absolutely better than where it is right now. Not setting artificial targets seems sensible to me. 

Just now, dont_do_it_doug. said:

It is absolutely better than where it is right now. Not setting artificial targets seems sensible to me. 

It is - it's probably 11th. There's something about Purslow that says to me he thinks this squad should be in the top 6 - if that's the case it's dangerous for the new manager and it's a message that the new owners might well be swallowing. To compete for the top six, we need another half a dozen players of real quality.

• Like 3

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â