Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

18 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

That is exactly what it is. I like the tempo and the urgency of it all.

For anyone expecting a huge sea change by Saturday though… I can’t see it, I think it’ll take weeks until he can grind it in to the players and install a new system  

Well he has a full ish squad to choose from from - Brighton with 0 wins in 7 and there goalkeeper suspended - a sold out villa park.

Anything less than 3pts will be a dissapoint ment.

Think he will throw 1 youngster into the starting 11 as well.

29 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Everything looks good. I remember thinking the same when Sherwood first came (and it was actually good for a while). Cautiously optimistic for sure, we need to give him time to figure this out and not heap unnecessary pressure on him. First order of business, slowing the Brighton hype train. No pressure!

Sherwood always had the feeling of falling apart because he was clearly such a buffoon. He harnessed Benteke incredibly and did really well to keep us up, but he was such a wally.

Get the feeling Gerrard would be just as constructive behind the scenes as he would harsh. With Tim it was surface level across the board.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, hippo said:

Well he has a full ish squad to choose from from - Brighton with 0 wins in 7 and there goalkeeper suspended - a sold out villa park.

Unfair. I'd be very happy with a draw, stopping the slide.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, stewiek2 said:

Interesting that he spoke about finding somewhere to live. I had assumed that he would travel down from Cheshire. Shows his dedication to do things properly. 

I think the family home is on the Sefton coast in Merseyside. I imagine he'll be staying at the Belfry initially and probably rent a place nearby. 

Still half the travel time from Glasgow so he'll get to see his family more often. 

1 hour ago, WallisFrizz said:

I keep going full circle with this one. First unimpressed that we’d even consider him, then keen to get it over the line, then happy it was done, then thinking we’d made a mistake then massively impressed by his interview and excited. Now, I’m back to remembering that we’ve still got the same players and the same injury issues (possibly new ones as well after international break). He’s not the second coming and we should maybe temper expectation. 

Same here, one day 'm excited and the next sad that Dean Smith was sacked.

If I just see it as a new manager coming in, it feels like a good appointment and a gamble worth taking. But I still feel it was harsh to sack Dean Smith and I'm struggling to see that Gerrard is so much of an upgrade. Might be, but a gamble. If the owners are impatient and want guarantees to take us to the next level, I would have thought that they would have gone for a real big name in management.

38 minutes ago, hippo said:

To be fair they are 1 defeat in 8 and that was against city. A draw wouldn’t surprise me. 

1 hour ago, Kingman said:

When he is walking past Bidace and says turn sharper and quicker he wasnt asking he was telling. That voice was very firm and serious.  These players are going to be pushed on and off the pitch. No more comfort zone. No more asking what went wrong from the management. They will be told what went wrong and what they need to do to improve. I expect lots of nerves in training now which will prepare them for actual games. No excuses as Gerrard says.  

Edited by MWARLEY2
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, hippo said:

Spurs 1-2, Wolves 2-3, Arsenal 1-3, West Ham 1-4, Southampton 0-1 all say “Hi!”.

Not quite sure where this sense of entitlement has its roots.

• Like 4

After watching the interview a couple of times, I have the feeling this has been in the making far longer than we realise. It all seems far too seamless in how quickly everything came together. I also call BS on the Weds stuff because it was commonish knowledge that reps met up on Monday evening. Call it intuition or guesswork but something tells me this was always the next move on from Smith. I think conversations would have happened a long time ago about this becoming a possibility somewhere down the line. 

Anyway it's about the hear and now and good luck to him. 

13 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

After watching the interview a couple of times, I have the feeling this has been in the making far longer than we realise. It all seems far too seamless in how quickly everything came together. I also call BS on the Weds stuff because it was commonish knowledge that reps met up on Monday evening. Call it intuition or guesswork but something tells me this was always the next move on from Smith. I think conversations would have happened a long time ago about this becoming a possibility somewhere down the line. 

I suspect there must have been contacts throughout 2021.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

There was the obscure article back in March or April of this past year that mentioned the Villa owners were interested in bringing in Gerrard to replace DS. It was Football Insider, so obviously I didn't make much of it, but perhaps this was a contingency plan for a while.

30 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

Totally agree. Even I knew we were interested in him by Wednesday so I’m guessing he knew long before that.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â